Best Vintage Seller Online?

Thorogrimm

25 Nov 2020, 16:53

I've been looking around a bit on Ebay and either the good deals get snatched easily or there's barely any sellers for decent vintage keyboards. I've tried finding more Dell AT models with ALPS or any SMK MX mount keyboards since I hear they are quite good. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions on where I can find some sellers?

Jan Pospisil

25 Nov 2020, 17:57

Typically you won't find anyone who knows what keyboards they have and sells them for a decent price.
Almost everyone on eBay now lists ANY vintage keyboards for high prices, because they either want to trick someone with a rubber dome kb, or because they don't know the difference.
What's worked for me was having watch dog searches set up and keeping an eye on them. Seeing if there's anything that might not be recognized for what it is, or if there's a rare seller who won't ask a ridiculous price.
For nicer keyboards it might honestly be best to buy from people on here.
I've had more luck with non-eBay auction sites and local ads, where people don't try to match the price of already massively inflated keyboards.
With Dell bigfoots you could still probably cop one on eBay, as they are quite common. But it won't be super cheap.

ddrfraser1

25 Nov 2020, 18:23

Yup. Buy here.

fohat
Elder Messenger

26 Nov 2020, 00:43

Northgate Bob http://www.northgate-keyboard-repair.com/ for Alps switches

and clicky keyboards https://www.clickykeyboards.com/ for IBM

are your best bets for "sure things", although they will not be the cheapest sources.

edit - Oh No! How could I have possibly forgotten Cindy?
Last edited by fohat on 26 Nov 2020, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.

zrrion

26 Nov 2020, 00:59

Chyros

26 Nov 2020, 10:32

Definitely Cindy from Elecshopper.

Northgate Bob is a nice guy but his definition of "great condition" are somewhat loose :p .

quaker

26 Nov 2020, 12:49

I've just done my first buy from Cindy's.. with description;

Untested but complete.

ADDS ASCII Terminal Keyboard

Linear NMB Hitek switches

Clean and in good condition

Untested.

...which literally had a piece of seaweed inside and rusted out.
I really don't mind much dust and stains. But I'd say a cap covered in something resembling a chewing gum went through millions of steps over it isn' what to call a 'clean and in good condition'. Also, contact leaf for E key came busted.

hellothere

26 Nov 2020, 18:06

fohat wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 00:43
Northgate Bob http://www.northgate-keyboard-repair.com/ for Alps switches
I'm sorry to disagree, but I will. I had some major issues with Northgate Bob when trying to get information on a keyboard he was selling. I have that documented. I also have seen other posts here mentioning that even if you're looking at his specialty, the Northgate keyboards, you need to make sure you get nice, big pics to make sure the keyboard really is in the condition that's advertised. I'd also recommend you ask for really big, up-close pics to make sure the keyboard really has Alps keys.

hellothere

26 Nov 2020, 18:51

Jan Pospisil wrote:
25 Nov 2020, 17:57
Typically you won't find anyone who knows what keyboards they have and sells them for a decent price.

Almost everyone on eBay now lists ANY vintage keyboards for high prices, because they either want to trick someone with a rubber dome kb, or because they don't know the difference.

For nicer keyboards it might honestly be best to buy from people on here.

I've had more luck with non-eBay auction sites and local ads, where people don't try to match the price of already massively inflated keyboards.
When I list on ebay, I generally start the auction at a minimum price and let people bid. I don't think this is shady or anything. It's just good business. I do take a picture of the key switch, multiple pics of both the inside and outside of the keyboard, etc.

I think one of the big problems on ebay is people don't ask the sellers enough questions before handing the seller some cash. I've been caught in this trap a couple times. My current philosophy is that if the seller doesn't show me the switch after I ask him, I'll skip the ad.

I've bought a bunch of keyboards and keyboard parts from folks on this forum and I've been pretty happy with them.

You'll see some posters here complaining that some keyboard prices are too high because they bought a Beamspring 25 years ago for only $1.50 US (7.5 Yugos in metric). My opinion on determining value is that you should average recent sold ebay auctions and there's your current value. There's also an ebay service that has historical data for a year or more. I don't remember the name of the service, tho :(

I'll also recommend viewtopic.php?f=66&t=5700 for some great deals online. I try to contribute there.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

11 Jan 2021, 05:37

I’ve sold a bunch of keyboards here. The only issues I had were with the shipping service. I try to be reasonable. Hopefully my web store will be online soon. It’s been tough figuring out which boards to sell.

dcopellino

11 Jan 2021, 15:22

XMIT wrote:
11 Jan 2021, 05:37
I’ve sold a bunch of keyboards here. The only issues I had were with the shipping service. I try to be reasonable. Hopefully my web store will be online soon. It’s been tough figuring out which boards to sell.
Wow, i get in line for that FEXT spare I am sure you want to get rid of. :D

Return to “Keyboards”