Was the VT100 keyboard really great or am I just experiencing nostalgia?

robo

02 Dec 2020, 23:51

Back when I was a kid, our local library had VT100 terminals for looking up books and other information. This was late 80's until at least the mid 90's. At the time I didn't think much about them, as they already seemed kind of antiquated, but I do distinctly remember the very satisfying, solid feeling keyboard with the shiny black keys.

I've kind of had a hankering to get a VT100 keyboard or something similar for daily use, although the lack of function keys and nonstandard layout makes me think this is probably not going to work out.

But were these keyboards actually good, or is this just the rose-colored glasses effect? I probably didn't spend very much time typing on them - just the occasional library records lookup.

I don't see much about them these days, making me think that people didn't especially think they were great.

PlacaFromHell

03 Dec 2020, 00:08

If I remember well, the VT100 keyboard has Futaba linear switches, I personally dislike them but some people find them nice. They're smooth, but heavy and have a short travel (around 75% of a normal switch or less). I remember seeing one at work, the keycap profile looked quite nice to be honest. If you want a keyboard with the same switches and a more friendly layout you have quite good options, like getting a Televideo TS-803 and convert it.

EDIT: Sorry, I was completely wrong :D
Last edited by PlacaFromHell on 03 Dec 2020, 05:10, edited 1 time in total.

mr_a500

03 Dec 2020, 00:47

No, the VT100 has Hi-Tek switches - stiff and scratchy, with easily broken sliders. They're terrible to type on. The keycaps look very nice though. Here's my VT100 Datasystem and GIGI.

Rayndalf

03 Dec 2020, 01:12

They're pretty mediocre (assuming they're anything like the Hitek/stackpole switches I've used elsewhere).

Hot take - you don't see people hacking them up for modern use because they suck, and many people lovingly maintain their VT100 machines for their historical significance.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-GEAC-l ... 3720375622
I offered $35 for one of these andgot it, I will let you know what it's like when it arrives, but it uses similar or the same switches.

Ironically Geac computers where used heavily by libraries, hopefully the one I receive also has a piece of paper labeling the function keys for Olis (the Oxford Libraries Information System). Converting it might suck, but a VT100 is going to cost a lot more and I don't want to botch a trashy keyboard that goes to a machine people are so passionate about.

robo

03 Dec 2020, 04:52

Interesting - thanks for the info! I guess I won't seek one out ;)

mr_a500

03 Dec 2020, 10:33

It's possible that it wasn't a real VT100 that you used, but one of the many VT100 clones. The CIT-101 used Alps SKCC switches, which are quite nice.

robo

03 Dec 2020, 17:32

I'm pretty sure it was a real one, as I remember the 'digital' logo.

Return to “Keyboards”