I need a little help finding the right configuration for my new model f62

jptechnical

29 Dec 2020, 07:03

Hi there, I'm new to the community. I have had a variety of fancy and not so fancy keyboards the last 30 years. In the late '90s I bought a DASKeyboard with all blank keys and thought I was pretty hot stuff! I eventually wore that keyboard out, and then about 20 years later found it in a box and got a wild hair and decided to order a new one, I wrote their sales support a haiku about their keyboard and they gave me a coupon to buy the new one at the same price that I paid in the '90s. And all this time I have been going through mechanical keyboard after mechanical keyboard, wearing out cherry switches, wearing out the clones, trolling the internet for a good model m kishaver and constantly being disappointed.

As of today, I am the proud new owner of a brand new model f62. I got the split shift and split backspace HHKB model, and I'm pretty excited about that.

What I could use a little help with is how to reprogram my layers. There's some additional stuff I want to program in on layer one and maybe add layer two, and a couple small tweaks on layer zero.

I have been playing around with the QMK website, even uploading some pre-made JSON files that I got that are supposed to be designed for QMK. However, when I import them I just get a blank keyboard or nothing at all. So I'm not sure what controller I need to select from the list to build my layout.

According to https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/code/ it is an xwhatsit Model F controller. After watching the how-to video really drill down the importance of choosing the correct controller, I'm hesitant to go much further without knowing the right selection.

I'm using macOS Catalina, and the configuration tool, IBM capsense I think, just crashes. I tried it on a Windows 10 machine and got either device not found or just Windows crashes with the last couple of versions. And it hasn't been updated it looks like for quite some time. It seems like there's been good reports of people using QMK, so that seems like the way to go.

Anyway, if anyone is willing to point me in the right direction to the correct controller then I would very much appreciate it!

Bjerrk

10 Jan 2021, 17:03

Did you get it to work?

I haven't received mine yet, but I can look into it when I do.

darkcruix

10 Jan 2021, 18:03

Are you sure it is xwhatsit that is running on the controller? Even the controller is of the xwhatsit hardware design, there can be two different versions of firmware be pre-installed. Since some time, Ellipse is pre-installing QMK. Best way is to request the access to QMK beta on the forum.

Just in case, I have uploaded a newly compiled version that works with Catalina and Big Sur for the Xwhatsit Firmware:
https://www.bucklingspring.com/download ... -software/

jptechnical

10 Jan 2021, 19:40

Hi, I got some info back from the manual (which I didn't completely read) and an invite to the private beta of QMK and I am rocking and rolling.

What I didn't understand was that the firmware changed at one point, and so I was barking up the wrong tree. I was more than a little nervous when I hit the flash button the first time, but man was that a piece of cake, I had nightmares of bricked cell phones and routers dancing in my head.

Thanks much for following up, I should have updated this thread by now.

Return to “Keyboards”