Recreating the Lisp keyboard (10 years later)

mmm

14 Jul 2023, 22:09

mrprofessor wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 23:20
lispnick wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 10:19

I have everything designed in Fusion 360, from the keycap profile, the font, the case to the manufacturing models (and CAM) and the model becomes so big that the software is very unresponsive.
Shame, You can’t do it in Emacs, yet. :D
Well.. There is something like CadQuery and OpenSCAD. While I don't think there is an Emacs plugin to render inside the editor of either (yet?), you can still use Emacs as the editor and just view the render on the side either via a browser or a standalone plugin. CadQuery works perfectly fine in Emacs, since it's just Python :D

lispnick

15 Jul 2023, 11:00

mmm wrote:
14 Jul 2023, 22:09
Well.. There is something like CadQuery and OpenSCAD. While I don't think there is an Emacs plugin to render inside the editor of either (yet?), you can still use Emacs as the editor and just view the render on the side either via a browser or a standalone plugin. CadQuery works perfectly fine in Emacs, since it's just Python :D
I understand what you mean but this would not work for me because of several reasons: OpenSCAD outputs triangular meshes only, it is not usable for me. The CadQuery looks better because it supports STEP but I cannot switch to anything at this point because I have invested well over a thousand of hours in making the parametric models already and making a rework at this stage is just not possible. Also, both these are just modelling tools/languages only, I need an integrated (professional) CAM tool as well (there are toy CAMs like MeshCAM that can crunch mesh data but they are really just a joke). If there were (affordable) alternatives to Fusion 360 I would be using them from the very beginning because I ultimately prefer writing code over clicking in bloated GUIs.

But as I indicated earlier, I am making my own tool that I intend to combine with Fusion. Namely, I have made a custom post-processor for Fusion, meaning that I will dump the G-code in my own (lispy) format and go through the pain of 'endless waiting' just once (or only once for each new legend). Once dumped, I can process the G-code with my own tools very efficiently (e.g. to reposition the zero to a specific point on my jig or, in general, to apply any affine transformation) without running Fusion at all. For me, this is the way to go. Plus, I will probably purchase a newer Mac Mini/Studio. :lol:

lispnick

18 Jul 2023, 14:30

I am going to post more pics of the last custom keycaps soon. This is the basic set from the top:

I have just realised I misplaced the /? key. :lol:

TNT

18 Jul 2023, 16:12

Besides from the obviously much prettier color scheme, I really like what you did with the arrow keys on the right. Is there a reason why some of the legends are black and some are white?

lispnick

18 Jul 2023, 16:41

TNT wrote:
18 Jul 2023, 16:12
Besides from the obviously much prettier color scheme, I really like what you did with the arrow keys on the right. Is there a reason why some of the legends are black and some are white?
It actually is a Cadet-style color scheme—if a key qualifies as a modifier, it is black (and white otherwise).

TNT

18 Jul 2023, 16:59

Ah ok, that checks out. A bit ashamed to admit, but I never noticed that until now. Thanks for explaining!

lispnick

18 Jul 2023, 17:04

TNT wrote:
18 Jul 2023, 16:59
Ah ok, that checks out. A bit ashamed to admit, but I never noticed that until now. Thanks for explaining!
No problem, what about this color scheme? 8-)

TNT

18 Jul 2023, 17:34

Also really good, but I think the grey caps fit the aluminium case better. It's somehow more pleasant to look at imo.

And the ?/ key is still misplaced :lol:

lispnick

18 Jul 2023, 18:14

TNT wrote:
18 Jul 2023, 17:34
And the ?/ key is still misplaced :lol:
That is what happens when you take photos late at night. One more (in the old-style Symbolics color scheme):

And my personal favourite, all grey:

inozenz

18 Jul 2023, 19:29

my man is flexing hard
really great stuff lispnick!

TNT

18 Jul 2023, 21:22

Unicolor looks surprisingly good!

lispnick

21 Jul 2023, 12:12

lispnick wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 13:19
Ok, so this is how I imagine a Symbolics UK/ISO layout (modified/new keys highlighted in green):

So, guys, for those of you who want ISO: I will make the ISO variant because I got enough folks seriously interested. According to my last case recount, I only have 3 cases left in stock (not counting those for the orders in the queue and the ones I intend to keep for myself :lol:). Currently, I make a single keycap set per month and I intend to keep this rate. Based on the length of the queue, all orders (ANSI or ISO variant) submitted at this moment will not be fulfilled sooner than May 2024, I do not require any payments in advance, so those of you who would like to get one of the last specimens, this is a good opportunity to place an order and save in your piggy bank in the meantime. I still take material from the initial pre-COVID & pre-invasion inflation batch. After that, I will continue with manufacturing in smaller batches, so the price will go up.

dcopellino

21 Jul 2023, 16:43

Great masterpieces and what a pleasure to know someone enjoys so much what he does even coming to make some profit, even though not for a living. Maybe is this the secret of the happiness? be one step away from perfection!

Muirium
µ

21 Jul 2023, 22:11

How much are the ANSI white on black caps? Can't afford a keyboard but could really use the caps. ;)

Can't remember if I've asked before, it's a 10 years thread… :lol:

inozenz

22 Jul 2023, 01:00

lispnick wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 12:12
lispnick wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 13:19
Ok, so this is how I imagine a Symbolics UK/ISO layout (modified/new keys highlighted in green):

So, guys, for those of you who want ISO: I will make the ISO variant because I got enough folks seriously interested. According to my last case recount, I only have 3 cases left in stock (not counting those for the orders in the queue and the ones I intend to keep for myself :lol:). Currently, I make a single keycap set per month and I intend to keep this rate. Based on the length of the queue, all orders (ANSI or ISO variant) submitted at this moment will not be fulfilled sooner than May 2024, I do not require any payments in advance, so those of you who would like to get one of the last specimens, this is a good opportunity to place an order and save in your piggy bank in the meantime. I still take material from the initial pre-COVID & pre-invasion inflation batch. After that, I will continue with manufacturing in smaller batches, so the price will go up.
is german alphas with iso an option? if yes, id like to make an order

TNT

22 Jul 2023, 01:10

inozenz wrote:

is german alphas with iso an option? if yes, id like to make an order
I go second ;)

guidemetothelight

23 Jul 2023, 16:47

inozenz wrote:
is german alphas with iso an option?
IMG_4527.gif
IMG_4527.gif (77.04 KiB) Viewed 63542 times

MathematicalJ

28 Jul 2023, 21:22

Gorgeous, my man. So good.

lispnick

29 Jul 2023, 12:10

One more typing demo:
Obviously, the most interesting thing here is that this is the first build with full legends in the new-style color scheme. 8-)

darkcruix

30 Jul 2023, 22:01

I have had the pleasure to use the Keymacs since a few weeks so far. I used it heavily during my work - and I have goose bumps each time I type.
In short, the pleasure I have had with it over the last weeks (and actually even before that, when I had my conversations with lispnick about what my ultimate keyboard layout would look like), is astounding. Surely, I am lucky to be able to afford it, but it is worth every cent (if you're a keyboard aficionado like me).
I said it before, but want to repeat it. If you watch the above video you get a glimpse of it. Even a linear switch, like the green Alps I have, seems to be from a skilled sound designer. The look of the keycaps - well, see for yourself - is gorgeous. My personal favorite is the craftsmanship and engineering. All fits so well together. When you screw the screws in, it feels like you work on an expensive car.
Attachments
keymacs-scb.png
keymacs-scb.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 63278 times

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

01 Aug 2023, 21:46

Very cool project indeed. I always love seeing more Alps projects, and this is easily the coolest modern Alps board I've seen to date.

depletedvespene

12 Aug 2023, 16:58

darkcruix wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 22:01
I have had the pleasure to use the Keymacs since a few weeks so far. I used it heavily during my work - and I have goose bumps each time I type.
In short, the pleasure I have had with it over the last weeks (and actually even before that, when I had my conversations with lispnick about what my ultimate keyboard layout would look like), is astounding. Surely, I am lucky to be able to afford it, but it is worth every cent (if you're a keyboard aficionado like me).
Perhaps it's for the best that I haven't been able to figure out the optimal(*) physical layout within a 6×20U rectangle, because then I wouldn't resist the temptation to order one for myself, money be damned!

Lispnick, you truly have created something special. Every time I check out this thread I end up in awe.

(*) "Optimal" for "me, myself and I" values of the term, obviously.

lispnick

13 Aug 2023, 10:34

depletedvespene wrote:

Perhaps it's for the best that I haven't been able to figure out the optimal(*) physical layout within a 6×20U rectangle, because then I wouldn't resist the temptation to order one for myself, money be damned!

Lispnick, you truly have created something special. Every time I check out this thread I end up in awe.
With the first batch of keyboards nearly gone, perhaps this is a good time to have a discussion on the possible future of the project and support of other layouts. From my own selfish point of view the project is “mission accomplished”—I have the keyboard with the best layout I personally care about (and the technology to make more if anyone desires) and maybe it is time to go with something more mainstream in the future. Any suggestions?

depletedvespene

13 Aug 2023, 12:01

lispnick wrote:
13 Aug 2023, 10:34
depletedvespene wrote:

With the first batch of keyboards nearly gone, perhaps this is a good time to have a discussion on the possible future of the project and support of other layouts. From my own selfish point of view the project is “mission accomplished”—I have the keyboard with the best layout I personally care about (and the technology to make more if anyone desires) and maybe it is time to go with something more mainstream in the future. Any suggestions?
I would think that the next logical step, if you were to do keyboards that are not restricted to a 6×20U rectangle, would be to continue with popular form factors where the keyboard is a contiguous block and/or there are small separators (given that you can emulate those with stepped keys). A 75% or, better, a 79% keyboard would be my particular choice, albeit that would quite probably be a distant #3 to 65% and 60% form factors, for which you'd probably get plenty of requests.

Given that you manufacture fully customized keycaps, it would be easy (once the chassis had been provided) to craft what I've always considered to be the objectively best(*) compact physical layout, down to the most optimized details(**) for it.

(*) "Objectively best" for "me, myself and I" values of the term, obviously.
(**) "Most optimized details" for "my most particular quirks" values of the term, obviously.

Muirium
µ

13 Aug 2023, 12:38

^ Interest in 60%? Raises hand. :D

HHKB layout or like my Kishsaver preferably. Magnificent size for a heavy duty instrument of choice.

thefarside

13 Aug 2023, 13:14

I’d be interested in an ANSI TKL and full size layout. With an option for a big ass enter :cool:

Muirium
µ

13 Aug 2023, 15:51

Here's an expert artist's impression of what gorgeous beauty I am after here:
Hacky Symbolics 60.jpg
Hacky Symbolics 60.jpg (88.9 KiB) Viewed 62962 times
Well, my artist's expertise is actually in ceramics, so… :lol:

Anyway, that, with this layout:
Orange Satin Kish.jpg
Orange Satin Kish.jpg (983.33 KiB) Viewed 62927 times
And I'd be seriously jumping around in excitement. :D

engr

13 Aug 2023, 20:27

I would love to buy a full-size ANSI board or, if that isn't an option, a TKL. Anything more compact just doesn't work for me, unfortunately.

Muirium
µ

14 Aug 2023, 11:22

ANSI and TKL are probably the demand sweet spot. I'd be tempted, but not nearly as much as a symmetrical layout, in keeping with the original's. TKL's main downsides, for me, are its inherent asymmetry and its sheer bloody ubiquity now!

lispnick

14 Aug 2023, 11:29

depletedvespene wrote:
13 Aug 2023, 12:01
I would think that the next logical step, if you were to do keyboards that are not restricted to a 6×20U rectangle, would be to continue with popular form factors where the keyboard is a contiguous block and/or there are small separators (given that you can emulate those with stepped keys). A 75% or, better, a 79% keyboard would be my particular choice, albeit that would quite probably be a distant #3 to 65% and 60% form factors, for which you'd probably get plenty of requests.
Yes, I think so. In order to be able to make niche things, I guess I must offer support of the modern layouts just to generate coffee money + cash to invest into more exotic profiles. I try to reinvest some of the earnings each year, the last year I have completely reworked the tooling to be able to utilise the new manufacturing process. Naturally, this year I will just extend the set of key sizes to make it a superset of full ANSI/ISO + popular alternatives (and a few niche things like special stepped keys).

Return to “Keyboards”