Help me, keycaps.

Soqelye

05 Feb 2021, 07:10

Hi, are there any acer 6311/6010 owners amongst you, I'd like to ask what the keycaps are on the shifter, spacebar and so on.

Also does anyone know of ansi keyboards with alps + mx keycaps.

mcmaxmcmc

05 Feb 2021, 07:21

Soqelye wrote:
Hi, are there any acer 6311/6010 owners amongst you, I'd like to ask what the keycaps are on the shifter, spacebar and so on.

I think we all are going to need some context based on what you're asking... do you mean the Acer keyboards, the 6311? And what do you mean by "what the keycaps are"? Size? Printing method? Material? Stabilizer type?

And what do you mean by Alps + MX keycaps? a keycap with both Alps and MX stems? I'm pretty sure they aren't compatible with each other in design -- you can't have both together.

Soqelye

05 Feb 2021, 07:26

mcmaxmcmc wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 07:21
Soqelye wrote:

I think we all are going to need some context based on what you're asking... do you mean the Acer keyboards, the 6311? And what do you mean by "what the keycaps are"? Size? Printing method? Material? Stabilizer type?

And what do you mean by Alps + MX keycaps? a keycap with both Alps and MX stems? I'm pretty sure they aren't compatible with each other in design -- you can't have both together.
standart ansi size keycaps.
keycaps with mx stems, yes.

Soqelye

05 Feb 2021, 07:27

Any kind of material is possible

Soqelye

05 Feb 2021, 07:30

Acer have cool keycaps, but I want to try combining cherry stabilisers with alps like on the yuri set, I think it's possible.

mcmaxmcmc

05 Feb 2021, 08:50

Soqelye wrote:
Acer have cool keycaps, but I want to try combining cherry stabilisers with alps like on the yuri set, I think it's possible.
So what you're looking for is Alps keycaps with MX stabilizers? If that is what you are looking for, your choices are all on modern Alps keycaps, aside from maybe the Taihao TH series keycaps (AKA the FAME caps) and the Nisemono Model M caps. That's at least all I can think of.

Soqelye

05 Feb 2021, 11:07

mcmaxmcmc wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 08:50
Soqelye wrote:
So what you're looking for is Alps keycaps with MX stabilizers? If that is what you are looking for, your choices are all on modern Alps keycaps, aside from maybe the Taihao TH series keycaps (AKA the FAME caps) and the Nisemono Model M caps. That's at least all I can think of.
Yes, thanks.

KeebMeUp

05 Feb 2021, 17:42

here's a cheap blank DSA Alps set with cherry mount for the stabilized keys: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33051205362.html

Polecat

05 Feb 2021, 18:05

Some (but definitely not all) Focus and Datacomp keyboards had Alps switches and MX mount stabilizers. Possibly Monterey also.

mcmaxmcmc

05 Feb 2021, 21:26

Polecat wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 18:05
Some (but definitely not all) Focus and Datacomp keyboards had Alps switches and MX mount stabilizers. Possibly Monterey also.
Oh yeah, I think some of those also have them. I am absolutely not sure which, though... or if even the whole set has MX stab holes.

Polecat

06 Feb 2021, 04:31

Working from memory here, and that can be dangerous.

I cobbled together a set of Dolch keycaps for a relatively late Focus FK-2001, and I was surprised that the Enter key didn't have the pin guide like earlier Focus and Northgate boards. Instead it had two stabilizers with MX mount inserts, and I didn't think I would be able to find an Enter key to match. But one (only one!) of my six black Datacomps had the Enter key I needed. The Tai Hao Dolch spacebar was also going to be a problem, having MX mounts for the inserts, but I had a leftover Enter key from a Monterey K104 with those inserts, and I made them work by flipping them around the other way and rebending the stabilizer wire at the ends. That probably doesn't help much, unless you have a stockpile of vintage parts keyboards stacked in your storage like I do, but there are definitely some vintage Alps mount keycaps with MX stabilizer inserts. I can check any of my specific boards and caps if that would help.

edit: I have an Italian (ISO) 6312, and it has "reverse" stabilizers - the wires attach to the keycaps, and the sliders are on the plate. Totally different than my ANSI KB101A or any other "normal" Alps setup.

Hak Foo

06 Feb 2021, 06:06

The 6511 I grabbed at a junk shop a few years ago definitely has the "inverse" stabs.

I have a board, possibly a MTek K108, with Alps-mount SMK but the stabilizers are Costar-style. The odd thing is that it has an ANSI 2.25x left shift but the switch is positioned in the ISO location, so the switch has a far off centre mount.

Soqelye

06 Feb 2021, 12:23

Thanks for help guys <3

Return to “Keyboards”