Need Help with a budget Alps Build

Lalaland124

12 Feb 2021, 10:12

Hey :)

I live in Austria and want to build a custom Alps Board (size doesn't really matter, would be dope to have arrow keys tho :3)

I don't know if KPRepublics V80 DIY Kit is the way to go because I am kinda worried that import fees will be quite high.

Is there any other option (in the EU) for a good PCB, Plate and preferably a metal case?

Thx in advance!

Soqelye

12 Feb 2021, 11:30

Lalaland124 wrote:

I live in Austria and want to build a custom Alps Board (size doesn't really matter, would be dope to have arrow keys tho :3)

I don't know if KPRepublics V80 DIY Kit is the way to go because I am kinda worried that import fees will be quite high.

Is there any other option (in the EU) for a good PCB, Plate and preferably a metal case?

Thx in advance!
Hi, i only know pcb xd87 soldered, alps+mx :)

Soqelye

12 Feb 2021, 11:31

Lalaland124 wrote:

Thx in advance!
and for budget build maybe buy aliexpress alum filco case + custom tkl alps plate.

Lalaland124

13 Feb 2021, 20:39

Thanks guys :)

ntv242ver2

13 Feb 2021, 21:13

Hi, other please correct me if i am wrong, however imo a "budget" good custom board is made of (notice the quotation marks on the budget because depends on different views this might not be so wallet friendly, however i do think that this is a very good quality for the price):
- TMK alps64 by hasu + AEK plate (56 usd + shipping from hasu, those are open source so if you know any pcb manu you can get it done for cheaper)
- Caps from an AEK II ansi layout which will fit perfectly on this pcb and plate, and this keyboard is not too expensive, in fact you can buy the caps alone from the US if you check reddit frequently enough. These are really quality dye sub keycaps, can be had cheaply.
- Switches: range from 1 to infinity basically depends on what you want and what conditon are those
- Case: as long as 60% tray mount case, you would be set. Personally i think the Poseidon 60% case from KPR would be best since it is high profile, looks better, and cheaper than a tofu
Last edited by ntv242ver2 on 13 Feb 2021, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.

Lalaland124

13 Feb 2021, 21:27

Thx that Im gonna look at those :)

KeebMeUp

14 Feb 2021, 20:11

Hey there, I currently have 60% Alps PCBs and FR4 plates for sale @ https://keebmeup.com/index.php?id_produ ... e_needed_0

The PCBs are factory soldered (you would just need to solder your own switches on, no soldering of diodes or anything else required) with lots of layout options and VIA support.

The Plates are pre-cut for AEK Layout (ANSI) or TaiHao Layout (ANSI)

The PCB is also open source so you could get it done at a PCB manufacturer too if needed: https://github.com/evyd13/plain60-alps-edition

Good luck with the build!

4sStylZ

17 Feb 2021, 12:21

Hi there,

I second the idea to salvage an AEK 2 ansi.
This can be good for a 60% and interesting to make a TKL probably.

For the switchs, a very cheap way to have interesting Alps is to use Cream / white dampened from the AEK2, linearized them and use a very thick lube after washing like Superlube. That's the best way to use very dirty switchs and you will have good result.

damaged / dirty switchs will still get bad with a wash and new lube. The thick superlube grease can « mask » the issue but with this kind of lube you cannot keep tactility or clickyness :)

Also you can create your own 3d print plate and print a plate for it. But the simpliest and cheapest solution is to use a 60% tray mount and handwire it. That's what I have done on my first :

https://imgur.com/gallery/hBCB9IV

Return to “Keyboards”