IBM Model F XT: Fixing the original controller

rhaberkorn

05 Mar 2021, 20:08

Hello!

I've bought a Model F XT keyboard last year and really enjoyed typing on it. I'm using an external handmade Atmega32u4-based Soarer's Converter. The board itself is in a good shape. The original foam is intact. I had to disassemble it once when I received it in order to reattach the spacebar.
Unfortunately, there's a major "glitch": After some time of using it - there is really no way to predict when - I would suddenly get spooky keypresses. Either, a keypress results in the wrong keycode or the key keeps repeating more than once (ie. is registered as "pressed" even though it is physically released) or even indefinitely. It can even happen without touching anything at all!

What I've already tried to fix it:
  • Made sure that the backplate is grounded. The shield is connected all the way to USB connector's shield now. The MCU appears to connect USB Shield and GND, though.
  • Tested all connector pins end-to-end (up to the converter) to make sure there is no broken cable or missing contact.
  • Exchanged the converter MCU. I tried two Atmega32U4 breakouts.
  • Tried several pull-up resistors to CLK and DATA. I remember trying at least 1KOhm and 4.7KOhm.
  • Tried Soarer's firmware and several TMK converter firmwares.
  • Tried debugging the signals via a logic analyzer. I wasn't able to reproduce the problem as long as I had the logic analyzer attached. And even if it occurred, what would I expect to see? If signal strength/shape is responsible, I'd need an oscilloscope to see that.
What I want to try now, is to check all resistors (TODO) and swap out all the capacitors in case one of them got out of its original specs. According to my research, my controller has the following capacitors:
  1. 2x"124611", 56pF/6V, Electrolyte (not sure, but it's axial mounted)
  2. 1x"124501", 22pF/15V, Electrolyte (sot sure, but it's axial mounted)
  3. 1x84pF +/-20% 25V (This is a color-coded axial-mounted component and I'm not even 100% sure it is a capacitor. You can see it right next to the MCU in the photo.)
  4. 1x50pF +/-2% 300V, Mica, CORNELL DUBILIER
  5. 2x200µF +/-0.5%, 100V, Mica, CORNELL DUBILIER
It's easy enough to find cheap ceramic caps to replace a) and b) - although I don't know anything about the original caps' tolerance. I can't find any 84pF capacitors, so I'm not even sure I read (c) correctly. There is also a white axial-mounted component "492402" which might be a capacitor, but if so, I have no idea how to identify its specs.
I can also find 500V +/-1% Micas for d). I guess that the tolerance can actually be below the original component's tolerance.
But for the 200µF Micas (e), I really cannot find any replacement whatsoever. At least not with such a low tolerance.

Do you have any thoughts on this? Perhaps, there is something else I could try to do. Perhaps it makes sense to attach the converter internally in order to avoid the cable length.

If everything else fails, I will try to somehow install an Xwhatsit controller. But those are hard to find here in Germany. Or I'd have to solder my own. And there's the problem of how to attach it to the keyboard matrix. I think it might be possible to solder a custom-built TH-Xwhatsit on top of the original controller, connecting to the matrix via pin headers. But there is really little space in the housing.

PS: Interestingly, I have a Model M122 which had very similar symptoms and I have long used it with the same external converter I'm trying to use with the F XT. However, it turned out, I didn't properly ground the PCB. I've now installed an internal properly grounded converter and the problems with this particular M122 board appear to be gone.
Attachments
DSCI0067.JPG
DSCI0067.JPG (747.09 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
DSCI0065.JPG
DSCI0065.JPG (761.55 KiB) Viewed 2271 times

karlmartin95

12 Mar 2021, 18:04

Grounding issue, try to adjust the nut that grounds the keyboard, inside the board there is a black cable with a metal O connector. The future solution to this issue is replacing the original pcb with a xwhatsit or the new model f/beamspring logic board created by kmnov.

rhaberkorn

19 May 2021, 16:54

karlmartin95 wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 18:04
Grounding issue, try to adjust the nut that grounds the keyboard, inside the board there is a black cable with a metal O connector. The future solution to this issue is replacing the original pcb with a xwhatsit or the new model f/beamspring logic board created by kmnov.
You are probably right. Even though I meticulously tried to exclude grounding issues, it turned out that one of the DIN-to-PS/2 adapters I had between the keyboard and my converter actually had at least a loose contact. Most of those adapters won't properly ground the Model F XT plug unless you stuff in some tinfoil. I have done this previously but, well it was flaky. Since I've redone it, it appears to work fine. Next, I will install my converter into the case excluding any such possibility in the future.

JBert

22 May 2021, 15:12

Thanks for sharing what you have tried.

I have the same problem, and as a result my XT keyboards have been shelved until further notice. The converter used to be internal, so I was actually planning on buying a project box to turn it into an external converter.

I did recently acquire an oscilloscope, but I haven't tried it yet on the keyboard because I was reading up on ground loops (maybe I could use my work laptop to power it, although I'm not really prepared for it).

coolrainbow20

22 May 2021, 20:28

I think exactly this problem seems to happening to my XT Keyboard, does somebody know how to fix it correctly? Is it really just a grounding issue? See my thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24764

JBert

22 May 2021, 23:14

coolrainbow20 wrote:
22 May 2021, 20:28
I think exactly this problem seems to happening to my XT Keyboard, does somebody know how to fix it correctly? Is it really just a grounding issue? See my thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24764
It's unlikely that you have the exact same problem: you have a different keyboard. We're talking about the original IBM Model F here.

I'll take a quick look in your thread, but it might not be a grounding issue at all.

Return to “Keyboards”