Bucking Springs, worth it?

Coeus

24 May 2021, 17:14

Tritian wrote:
22 May 2021, 19:18
I'm sure he was referring to when they were new. However, go find an F77 or kishsaver nowadays and see how much you'd spend to get one, if you can find one. I don't think comparing an F XT is a valid comparision, as these boards are reproductions of those 4704 Model F's
Maybe the F77 or kishsaver are rarer, which may indeed affect what some people are prepared to pay, but it wasn't a factor for me.

I had decided that I wanted a mechanical keyboard with the clicky feel and had heard the buckling spring keyboards were good. I was debating whether to get a Unicomp Model M but then I started to see comments about poor quality control and I saw the advertising for the New Model F which said the Model F feel was even better than the M.

When I looked into the New Model F I found that not only was the price quite a bit higher than the Model M but none of the various keyboard layouts matched the enhanced (Model M) layout. It is not that I think the enhanced keyboard layout is special in any way but it is standard which would help in moving between my mechanical keyboard and other machines I have to use occasionally.

So then I looked at the 2nd hand market and spotted a Model F XT for less than half the price of the New Model F. I decided that if I had to get used to a new layout in order to get the Model F action, it didn't particularly matter which layout so I opted for the XT one purely on the basis that it was cheaper. The XT may be more common but I am not particularly bothered by rare - I want a nice KB to type on and I am not at all bothered if the whole of the rest of the world has the same.

We can't always have all the features we want in one thing, for example backlights and bucklings springs for the guy who started this thread, and I know I'd be prepared to pay more for something that ticked all the boxes rather than just most of them, but people's wish-lists also vary. So whether something is a bargain or more than we're prepared to pay will depend on the person and also what they see as possible alternatives, but we should absolutely stay clear of terms like "rip-off" which was used further up the thread, though in relation to a different product.

Tritian

24 May 2021, 18:23

I wouldn't worry too much about the Unicomp issues, it's just a bit of teething problems with their new board, but they have great support and probably already fixed the issues. You can email them if you want and ask if it is really concerning to you. I'd look into getting the Mini M or New Model M.

I really like my F XT. But I don't daily it because of its layout situation. However, it is the cheapest entry into Model F land, and a damn fine keyboard. Among the best build quality of the Model F's, which means it's probably the best built keyboard you can reliably buy nowadays.

the F77 is basically a TKL, except you are trading function keys for a numpad with your arrows. Since function keys can be assigned to a layer, it doesnt bother me. (although, I would have LOVED to have the function keys on the left like other model F's... but I realize this was not how the original F77 was designed.) The F77 is also a tank, but costs more.

Recently I purchased an F AT which is basically an F77 with function keys on the left and a full numpad instead of nav cluster. After ansi modding it and turning the numpad into a 20key so I had more options, I was very satisfied with this layout, with one big exception.... The CTRL/ALT situation is not ideal. There are mods to add ALT keys in the proper spot but they are involved.

Now I've purchased an F122 and this is basically what you want. A Model M-style layout in a model F, but just with more keys.

Unfortunately, while deals can be had for the F122 and I know someone who recently purchased one for $350 or so, most of them are around $500 and up. The F AT is similar at around $250 to $450 range.

Return to “Keyboards”