IBM XT Model F question

GilFrog

25 May 2021, 10:17

Hi all. I have XT model F, most of the keys are very tactile, as they should be, but some keys barely feel tactile at all. They still make a clicking noise, but they almost fee linear when actuated, with a very small and almost unnoticeable bump at the very end. I have tried pulling the springs up a little bit and letting them fall back down, but it did not help. Does anyone know how to fix this?

[spam]
Last edited by GilFrog on 22 Oct 2021, 14:25, edited 4 times in total.

Muirium
µ

25 May 2021, 10:51

Try taking the spring out for examination. There's a non-invasive technique known as the "chopstick" method I can vouch for, and a quick search on the forum shows several threads where it and similar techniques comes up, including the new Model F manual:

search.php?keywords=chopstick

You can in fact open up the whole insides of your XT without too much bother, and take out the entire flipper for replacement if necessary. It's not nearly as much work on a Model F than a Model M.

Tribal

25 May 2021, 17:37

I don’t know that there’s a real science to this, but sometimes you just need to keep removing and re-placing the key stem in the barrel until that particular switch works right. I had to do this at least ten times on one of my switches yesterday.

Try tilting the board so the front edge is facing up at your face - this helps align the spring.

Wazrach

25 May 2021, 21:17

In some cases, the springs may be damaged or not seated on the nub of the flipper correctly. This can definitely cause the issues you're describing. That's if countless reseating of the keycaps doesn't work.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

03 Feb 2022, 07:41

OP redacted and poster banned.

Sorry, Mu! :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

03 Feb 2022, 09:54

Nicely done. The true timeline must be enforced.

How did you catch this particular transgression? I’ve gone back and caught a few, some even from a single account who edited every one of his posts some months later to squeeze spam links into the quotes of people replying to him. But a straightforward search term evades me. Technically, all spam contains links and so should all be in these results. But so many false positives!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

03 Feb 2022, 13:11

Muirium wrote:
03 Feb 2022, 09:54
[…] How did you catch this particular transgression? […]
I’ll PM you later.
Caught more of the kind, but found nice that you had answered that one :lol:

keyboardnoob

05 Feb 2022, 23:31

Has anyone with an F experienced chattering or unreliable connection over USB? I use a soarer's converter I personally wired, so it could be that I did a shoddy job, or it is the power requirements. Last time I had it happen, it ended up being the wiring, and I ended up redoing the whole thing better and with a heatshrink wrap to avoid any accidental shorts.

Still, in the occasional rotation it could either work perfectly or not work at all, and then start chattering by itself.

Could it be the keyboard? If so is it easy getting it apart and reassembling it?

Also, I have tried different configurations with and without pull up resistors, but only without ended working for me. Do you know if the commercially available soarer's has pull up resistors or not?

Return to “Keyboards”