Can You Domeswap a Niz with Topre?

Thorogrimm

19 Aug 2021, 19:48

I was wondering if it's possible to swap the domes from a Niz Plum with genuine Topre or BKE domes? I know that Niz has a dome sheet rather than individual domes like a Topre. So I'd just like to know if it's possible?
I've been trying to decide what board would be best out of the clones and a genuine Topre board. I'm looking for something snappy and responsive that also allows some customisability. And also comes in black to match my current set-up. So far Niz has been the only one cheap enough for me to not spend stupid money and get something that's still quality. However, back to the question of it being capable of swapping for other domes, I ask that because I want something snappy, like binary up-or-down kind of snappy.

4_404

20 Aug 2021, 00:08

I haven't tried myself, but I believe that topre/BKE domes themselves to fit in a Niz board. However, the topre dome sheets would not have the alignment guides for the Niz boards, so may be harder to position, or require modification (not a problem for loose BKE domes). I don't know they much about Topre, but my Realforce has a dome sheet.

Have you looked at the Niz upgraded dome sheets? I believe they do a 50g sheet which makes for a 55g switch with the conical springs. I have an older Niz that I swapped for the 50g sheet recently and was pretty impressed. In fact after finally getting a Realforce, I was a little let down by how close the Niz and genuine Topre were. The 55g Niz is not quite as snappy as the real Topre, but I think I paid $15 shipped for them, and for that money they punch above their weight.

When you consider the cost of the board and Niz domes, plus the ability to use different keycaps and have some layouts Topre does not offer, I think the 55g swapped Niz boards are very good value and surprised me with how close to Topre they are.

Disclaimers - I have an older Niz (TKL with 1st gen switches), bought 2nd hand. I believe the switches have been improved since then, which is great as mine are already quite good.
- Both my Realforces were also older, bought 2nd hand (89u NF0100 & 108u XE0100)
-I could only find the Niz dome sheet for a fullsize 108 key board. I had to modify the sheet to fit my TKL. I had to modify it further as it was made for the newer gen of Niz boards, so all the screw holes weren't in the same place (most alignment guides were though).
- My Niz board is silenced fr the factory. I'm not sure if this is standard for all Niz boards, but I think this is a bonus point for the Niz over stock Topre.
- I actually paid more for my 2nd hand Niz and domes than I did for either 2nd Topres. If you value the snappiness of Topre and don't mind used, you may be able to find a good deal on a Realforce.
-This is not a complete comparison of Niz vs Topre. Topre certainly beats Niz I'm build quality for example.
-Neither Niz or Topre domes are very binary in my experience. It sounds like you'll have to go BKE if you want that.

wobbled

20 Aug 2021, 12:13

I have fitted a niz 108 with topre domes in the past. They do work, however expect to disassemble it multiple times to get all the domes to sit correctly. I personally don't think it made a huge difference in feel.

4_404

20 Aug 2021, 12:40

wobbled wrote:
They do work, however expect to disassemble it multiple times to get all the domes to sit correctly.
This was my experience too, even with the (admittedly modified) Niz dome sheet.
wobbled wrote:
I personally don't think it made a huge difference in feel.
What weighting did you originally have? My Niz was 35g, and the 55g dome swap made it an entirely different board to me. The 35g was nice enough, but felt basically nothing like Topre in my experience.

wobbled

20 Aug 2021, 12:48

I think the niz was originally a 45g and I put a mix of 45g and 55g topre domes in expecting them to be a bit smoother and more tactile. The difference wasnt huge, and the topre domes felt better in an actual topre keyboard. So maybe some of the feel was down to the sliders.

Return to “Keyboards”