Modding the AT

Zobeid Zuma

22 Aug 2021, 05:01

I feel dumb even posting this, but I seem to have little choice. . .

I recently got my hands on a rather nicely preserved IBM Model F "AT" keyboard. I've tested it using a Soarer Converter, and it's really nice. It may be the best feeling and sounding keyboard that I've ever typed on, and significantly better even than the XT I've already had for a while.

So, obviously I want to mod it! ANSI mod, Alt mod.

My first utterly embarrassing obstacle: how to get the case open? It has four screws near the back, and when I take them out the back opens, but the case halves are still stuck together at the front, and I can't see how they interlock. I have in fact managed to break a keyboard case before (it was an iMac keyboard, so don't cry!) when trying to force the halves apart but not understanding which way they needed to move, and I don't want to risk that here. Can anybody give me a hint?

fohat
Elder Messenger

22 Aug 2021, 05:05

Opening an AT case is a terrifying endeavor, but although you feel certain that you will break it, the stubborn thing usually comes apart.

Hold it at the back and work it bit by bit like you are opening a book. It may take flapping it a little.

Zobeid Zuma

23 Aug 2021, 16:19

OK, here's another odd question. . .

Alt-mod: What size are the Alt keys on either side of the new spacebar? According to my math, it seems like they should be 1.25u, but in the one photo I've seen it was hard to tell and they looked almost more like 1.5u.

My current plan is to add those two keys, split the big-ass Enter into 2.25u wide Enter and 1.5u Backspace. I think I should be happy with that layout, but I am curious whether I am missing any other tricks. I haven't disassembled it down to the PCB yet, and I haven't found any photos of the PCB online, so I don't yet know where every sensor pad is located. (I didn't even find that info in the massive technical manual that I DLed.)

Is split right-shift possible? That might be useful. Can the numeric keypad be made into a full 4×5 grid?

dcopellino

23 Aug 2021, 17:34

Hi zobeid, that's the tut I followed with some detours, though.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48288.0
For instance I kept the big ass enter as I love it and I placed two 1.25u keys (avoiding any file job on the front plate) beside the space bar that I stabilized with the simple clippy mod as suggested here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21623
I remember to have had a lot of fun performing this mod, even though I remember not to have taken every direction literally, starting right from the "right" technic for the opening and the reassembling of the f AT case.
Here my outcomes:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23208
The model F AT PCB is one of the most versatile I may remember.
Happy modding and don't forget to post your results.

Zobeid Zuma

23 Aug 2021, 20:02

Thank you for those links! They look like exactly the guidance I needed.

However. . .

Moments ago I got the shipping notification from my New Model F77. Woohoo! I did not expect that. I had expected it sometime within the next six months or so, but now it looks like it could be in my hands this week. So. . . I think I will be putting the AT on the back burner for a while until I see how the F77 works out for me.

Wazrach

23 Aug 2021, 20:07

Zobeid Zuma wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 20:02
Thank you for those links! They look like exactly the guidance I needed.

However. . .

Moments ago I got the shipping notification from my New Model F77. Woohoo! I did not expect that. I had expected it sometime within the next six months or so, but now it looks like it could be in my hands this week. So. . . I think I will be putting the AT on the back burner for a while until I see how the F77 works out for me.
Don't be scared, Models F are easier to service than they seem. If you need help with the disassembly process, I can guide you through it in detail. I will also tell you what tools you need.

Return to “Keyboards”