Trackpoint Keyboards

xenophile

03 Oct 2021, 20:44

What's up!

I prefer using a trackpoint for all mouse usage. What are you're favorite keyboards featuring a trackpoint(not including laptop keyboards)? Also I'd like to curate a list of all known non-laptop trackpoint keyboards so any you know of would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

sharktastica

03 Oct 2021, 21:17

xenophile wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 20:44
What's up!

I prefer using a trackpoint for all mouse usage. What are you're favorite keyboards featuring a trackpoint(not including laptop keyboards)? Also I'd like to curate a list of all known non-laptop trackpoint keyboards so any you know of would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)
I've actually written a page on this topic ("TrackPoint, pointing stick stick and UltraNav keyboards" topic on my website), so feel free to read to get started. As a summary, 'true' TrackPoint keyboards include:
  • IBM Space Saver Keyboard (Model M4-1, TrackPoint II)
  • IBM TrackPoint II Keyboard (Model M13, TrackPoint II)
  • IBM 5576-C01 TrackPoint II Japanese Keyboard (Model M-based, TrackPoint II)
  • IBM Space Saver II (RT3200, TrackPoint IV)
  • IBM TrackPoint IV Keyboard (KPD8923, TrackPoint IV)
  • IBM TrackPoint USB Space Saver Keyboard (KPH0035, TrackPoint IV)
  • Lenovo ThinkPad USB Keyboard with TrackPoint (SK-8855, TrackPoint IV)
  • Lenovo ThinkPad Compact USB Keyboard with TrackPoint (KU-1255/KT-1255, TrackPoint IV)
  • Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard II (KC-1957, TrackPoint IV)
If you want to include keyboards with alternate TrackPoint-like or derived technologies (such as Unicomp's FSR stick that was derived from the original TrackPoint patent and Synaptics TouchStyk that IBM used in the 8835/884x series), you can expand the list to:
  • Unicomp On-The-Stick (Model M13 derived, Unicomp FSR)
  • Unicomp On-The-Ball Plus (Model M5-2/M13 hybrid derived, Unicomp FSR)
  • Unicomp EnduraPro (5576-C01 derived, Unicomp FSR)
  • IBM/Lenovo SK-8835 (Full-size of 884x, Synaptics TouchStyk FSC)
  • IBM SK-8840 (PS/2 of 884x, Synaptics TouchStyk FSC)
  • IBM/Lenovo SK-8845 (USB short cable of 884x, Synaptics TouchStyk FSC)
  • IBM/Lenovo SK-8845RC (USB long cable of 884x, Synaptics TouchStyk FSC)
  • IBM/Lenovo SK-8845CR (TouchPad-less 8845RC, Synaptics TouchStyk FSC)
  • Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 Bluetooth Keyboard with Stand (EBK-209A, optical "TrackPoint")
There's also a bunch of IBM and Toshiba POS keyboards such as the later IBM/Toshiba Model M9 based ANPOS, CANPOS and CANPOS II keyboards that used pointers or "GlidePad/Pointer" combo mouse attachments that I have yet to write about - and of course, there are TEX keyboards like the Yoda and Shinobi, but I limited to "first party" keyboards from IBM and companies that descended from them or bought their IP.

My favourite is probably the Model M4-1. IMO, it's a great all-around portable, quiet and tactile TrackPoint keyboard. I use InterAccel to mitigate the speed issues with TrackPoint II. Followed by the 5576-C01 for sheer coolness.

xenophile

03 Oct 2021, 21:42

Oh this is awesome! Thank you so much! Do you know if any of these feature lexmark rubber domes? I'm interested in what kind of rubber domes some of these have?

sharktastica

03 Oct 2021, 22:09

xenophile wrote:
Oh this is awesome! Thank you so much! Do you know if any of these feature lexmark rubber domes?
You're welcome! If you're referring to the buckling rubber sleeve switch Lexmark used on many mid '90s ThinkPad keyboards (designated Model M6s, the keyboards that built the ThinkPad's keyboard reputation), then the M4-1 is the only one. The distinction between sleeve and dome in this case is that the rubber element isn't involved in pressing on the membrane inside, which seems to help mitigate mush (plus it's not in a dome shape). The aforementioned M6 is just an evolution on the M3 (IBM PS/2 L40SX laptop and keypad) and M4 design - they use the same rubber element, but differ in keycap slider design.

Otherwise, none of the other keyboards uses rubber domes from Lexmark. In fact, the only rubber dome keyboards from Lexmark I'm aware of are the Quiet Touch version of the Model M Enhanced Keyboard and the IBM Basic II Keyboard (aka, the "Model A").
xenophile wrote:
I'm interested in what kind of rubber domes some of these have?
The other rubber domes keyboards are a bit of a spectrum. The RT3200 was produced by NMB, the ones with 'K' at the beginning were produced by Chicony, and the ones with 'SK' are Silitek/LITE-ON. The RT3200 probably has my favourite domes but the keys can bind if you hit them on the edges. KPD8923 is a modified Chicony KB-5923, so if you tried one of those, you've tried this already. KPH0035 is a bit meh, to be honest. The rest are all scissor-switch rubber domes - IMO, SK-8855 and KU/KT-1255 are pretty close feeling to period ThinkPads at their time of release, but the 8835/884x family are quite different to their period ThinkPads.

Return to “Keyboards”