Modern switch similar to linear "Space Invaders"?

stratokaster

07 Jan 2022, 20:47

Hi fellow keyboard enthusiasts.

I always thought that I was more of a tactile/clicks kind of guy, but several years ago I got a free Cherry G80-3000-LPMEU from my company (they were going to throw it away because they no longer had any computers with PS/2 ports) and discovered that I actually preferred it to my other keyboards :roll:

Of course, as we all know, Cherry MX Black is a very, ahem, "uninspiring" switch ( :lol: ), so I've been trying various linear switches ever since. I tried Cherry MX Silent Red (nice but way too light), Matias Linear (even nicer but also too light), Kailh Pro Burgundy (also nice but just the tiny bit on the light side for me) and linear Space Invaders (perfect in every way). I guess what I like about the Space Invaders is that they are butter-smooth and have just the right amount of travel. They also don't feel as stiff as Cherry MX Black although when I stack coins of them, the actual weight seems to be pretty similar to MX Black switches.

So, in your opinion, which modern switch is the closest to linear Space Invaders in feel? I suspect Gateron Yellow could be similar but I've never tried them.

Bjerrk

07 Jan 2022, 22:33

The most notable thing about linear Space Invaders, to me, is not so much their smoothness, but rather their stability. They're almost completely wobble-free and typing on them feels very "precise". I could be wrong, but I don't think any current MX style switch is likely to give you that precise feeling.

A side note, though: if you liked Matias Linears, except for the weighting, you could just swap in some stiffer springs. It's very easy to do and doesn't e.g. require any soldering - can be done with the switches still in the keyboard.

hellothere

07 Jan 2022, 22:46

If you don't mind (well, even if you do -- it's not like you can stop me :D), I'll answer your question with a question: is there any particular reason not to just stock up on Hi-Teks? There's a bit of a large supply, ATM.

I don't think you should overlook contactless switches. If you're a Gateron fan, they have an optical switch and a semi-custom Hall-Effect switch.

While I own a couple linear keyboards, the only one I'm currently going to keep is the SteelSeries Apex Pro, which has Hall-Effect switches and Gateron Red switches for the num pad. The switches are buttery smooth, but a little too light for me.

I think my favorite linear is probably yellow Alps, but the SteelSeries has that adjustable actuation and the best backlighting I've seen on any keyboard.

stratokaster

07 Jan 2022, 23:00

hellothere wrote:
If you don't mind (well, even if you do -- it's not like you can stop me :D), I'll answer your question with a question: is there any particular reason not to just stock up on Hi-Teks? There's a bit of a large supply, ATM.
While I like the switches, I don't particularly like the keyboards, if you know what I mean. All Hi-Tek keyboards are full-size (meh) and the majority of them come with a big-ass Enter and a small Backspace (double meh). I'm also not aware of any custom PCBs etc. for Hi-Tek switches.
hellothere wrote:
I don't think you should overlook contactless switches. If you're a Gateron fan, they have an optical switch and a semi-custom Hall-Effect switch.
Thanks, that's very interesting, I kinda dropped out of this hobby for a while and did not pay any attention to recent developments.

stratokaster

07 Jan 2022, 23:02

Bjerrk wrote:
The most notable thing about linear Space Invaders, to me, is not so much their smoothness, but rather their stability. They're almost completely wobble-free and typing on them feels very "precise". I could be wrong, but I don't think any current MX style switch is likely to give you that precise feeling.
Hmm, that could be a part of their charm. Still, they are very smooth and somehow feel even more "linear" than the MX Black.
Bjerrk wrote:
A side note, though: if you liked Matias Linears, except for the weighting, you could just swap in some stiffer springs. It's very easy to do and doesn't e.g. require any soldering - can be done with the switches still in the keyboard.
Thank you, swapping the springs sounds like a good idea.

Lynx_Carpathica

08 Jan 2022, 11:19

stratokaster wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 23:02

Hmm, that could be a part of their charm. Still, they are very smooth and somehow feel even more "linear" than the MX Black.
Indeed, it is definietly for me. Nothing compares to them when it comes to stability. They feel tight and nice, and not at all clunky. Not to mention that deep thocc sound they make.
Shame nobody tried to replicate that switch design, bc it definietly had its fair share of advantages.

Muirium
µ

08 Jan 2022, 11:39

stratokaster wrote:
07 Jan 2022, 23:00
While I like the switches, I don't particularly like the keyboards, if you know what I mean. All Hi-Tek keyboards are full-size (meh) and the majority of them come with a big-ass Enter and a small Backspace (double meh). I'm also not aware of any custom PCBs etc. for Hi-Tek switches.
Good point. Now that there's a great big stash of fresh supply there's definitely the parts to play with for some custom space invaders. I've long thought about TKL chopping one of mine, but the thick metal plate is beyond my handiwork and it is, as you say, Big Ass + 'lil Backspace. Probably better to explore custom PCBs and plates and cases than get sparks flying with hatchet jobs!

Still need to do something about custom caps, too. Preferably more than 3D printing them

Return to “Keyboards”