Caps that fit Quick fire rapid keyboards.

huttala

23 May 2012, 22:38

Hi!

I just got an quick fire rapid keyboard that I modded to Ghetto reds, I found out that this is the keyboard that I use the most now and I want to get some other caps for it.

I took some caps off my G80-8113 board, but the moogle kit doesn't seem to fit at all.
The shift and backspace keys look identical, but they don't fit, samt with the caps from my G80-11800 board.

So this got me wondering doesn't Cherry original caps fit this board? Or am I doing it wrong?
And if they don't fit, where could I get some ISO caps that do fit? Would love some PBT caps, but it's not that important since I have PBT on all the caps exept, space, shift and backspace.

Thanks!

7bit

23 May 2012, 22:56

Please post a picture, so we know what you are talking about.

:-)

huttala

23 May 2012, 23:09

Dunno what to post pictures of.

The spacebar, right shift and backspace doesn't fit on the stabilizers. The rest of the keys do fit just fine.
If I look at the backside of the caps they look identical, that's why I'm so confused over why they don't fit.

Shift:
Backspace:
Shift
Backspace
Shift
Backspace

IvanIvanovich

24 May 2012, 01:23

Sorry if obvious, but you need to pull out the stabilizer clip insert, place in the other keycap before seating. Cherry MX stem spacing is standard so all should be interchangeable. I know I have never had any issues using Cherry keycaps on any other make of MX board.
Spacebar is another matter, as Cherry have 'center' stem to the right, which does not work on other brands without modding. You will need to epoxy another stem in the correct center location.

huttala

24 May 2012, 01:51

lysol wrote:Sorry if obvious, but you need to pull out the stabilizer clip insert, place in the other keycap before seating. Cherry MX stem spacing is standard so all should be interchangeable. I know I have never had any issues using Cherry keycaps on any other make of MX board.
Spacebar is another matter, as Cherry have 'center' stem to the right, which does not work on other brands without modding. You will need to epoxy another stem in the correct center location.
Yeah I know that :lol:

And about the spacebar it's visible that it doesnt fit, but the other keys kinda looks exactly the same, thats why I'm kinda curious why they don't fit as they should. Without the stabilizers they fit just fine.

huttala

24 May 2012, 22:50

I made them fit. I put the stabilizer stem down on the board and then the keycap on top of that and it worked just fine. Seems like the keys are a little bit different, but with just a hint of force it went down there, yay :)

Now I just need to get a spacebar that fits. :D

ripster

25 May 2012, 00:51

Key Geometries on Signature Plastics are different, so they do feel a bit odd at first.

Lots of pics explaining this in this thread: GLWIC.

huttala

25 May 2012, 14:01

ripster wrote:Key Geometries on Signature Plastics are different, so they do feel a bit odd at first.

Lots of pics explaining this in this thread: GLWIC.
That's good to know, but this is Cherry Corp caps and nothing else. :)

Return to “Keyboards”