Mechanical keyboards, are they worth it?

hikaslesi

21 Feb 2022, 09:23

Spam removed

mode1ace

21 Feb 2022, 09:57

No, not at all. Just get a rubber dome bro.

soyuz

21 Feb 2022, 10:00

yeah this one has a good switch
Attachments
61ZCiQjxkbL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
61ZCiQjxkbL._AC_SL1001_.jpg (39.49 KiB) Viewed 1275 times

LambdaCore

21 Feb 2022, 11:30

I'm sure this is probably just bait, but I'll bite; If your main concern is gaming and you don't frequently run into roll over issues? I legitimately would not bother, I've not noticed a smidge difference in actual gaming performance using mechanical keyboards, however if FEEL and COMFORT is a concern, absolutely! I'd watch eBay for a model M - famous keyboard that's well loved and very common, so if you're patient you should be able to snag one for about 50 - 70 bucks

Beyond that, I'd recommend getting a cheap MX board or even similar clones to get a feel for things. If you splurge and get it hot swap, you'll be able to try the three main categories: clicky, tactile and linear

Muirium
µ

21 Feb 2022, 11:36

LambdaCore wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 11:30
I'm sure this is probably just bait, but I'll bite…
You are certainly right. But the discussion is valid. ;)

Bjerrk

21 Feb 2022, 11:57

LambdaCore

21 Feb 2022, 12:02

For sure! I think it's good to clear up misconceptions since a good chunk of people who see this are the sorts of people researching mechanical keyboards and have genuine concerns. One thing I think is utmost important, not just for keyboards but in general: "gaming gear" is typically a scam, aside from mice and obviously computer parts themselves, the benefit you gain from most of this stuff is so slight and you're usually paying more for a cheap product you could've gotten in white or black as opposed to the bright red color scheme. I used to exclusively play video games on a Unicomp and played just as well as I do now! I was arguably better at video games when I still used membranes

Muirium
µ

21 Feb 2022, 12:06

I see your Unicomp and raise… Model F:
Muirium wrote:
17 May 2016, 17:43
I did complete (ye olde) Sniper Elite 2 with my Magic Mouse and IBM Model F XT some years ago, but the inability to press buttons independently does make that mouse a whole extra layer of difficulty in itself! Mad clicky keyboard sounds while sneaking behind enemy's backs, however, is a joy to behold!

hellothere

21 Feb 2022, 15:37

Return to “Keyboards”