Pin spring for latching (CapsLock) Keytronic Foam & Foil

pl212

26 Feb 2022, 21:23

I'm trying to figure out the dimensions, or perhaps get a picture, of a very small spring that I think is inside latching Keytronic Foam and Foil switches. At the least, such a switch is present on the Apple Lisa (wiki/Apple_A6MB101) for Caps Lock.

This spring - or some other pressure mechanism - presses against a tiny brass pin in the moving part of the switch, holding it tight against a white plastic race that contains the two pathways for the latching mechanism. Without this spring, the brass pin recedes totally into the switch. My estimate based on the size of the plastic hole, and the depth to which the pin recedes without the spring, is that it would have both an Outer Diameter and Free Length of 1mm. Tiny!

The brass pin, a little bit extended from what I assume is its normal position:
IMG_3571.jpeg
IMG_3571.jpeg (54.98 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
Pin pushed in -- nothing to stop it from receding totally into the switch:
IMG_3572.jpeg
IMG_3572.jpeg (61.87 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
Closeup of the plastic race which guides the pin into lock and unlock states. Note how there seems to be some conturing of the pathway, so that a pin pushed forward by a spring would click past a certain point and have to move in a different direction:
IMG_3573.jpeg
IMG_3573.jpeg (94.41 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
The switch reassembled, including the white plastic frame that holds the latch mechanism together:
IMG_3576.jpeg
IMG_3576.jpeg (67.02 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
Here's a thread elsewhere with the same question: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/vintage-c ... ce-131423/. Because this mechanism is prone to semi-explosive propulsion when the support bracket surrounding this switch is removed, my guess is that both myself and the person linked above have lost this very tiny spring -- or perhaps this happened with a previous owner's disassembly. Thanks for any thoughts or knowledge of how such pins are held in place in other switches!

Muirium
µ

27 Feb 2022, 16:43

A spring that small just might have disintegrated over all these years. Surely it’s kept locked inside securely, or they’d have been a manufacturing (and service contract) nightmare! The Lisa was a $10k business machine after all, leaving Apple on the hook for mistakes like this.

vtgearhead

13 Mar 2024, 21:19

For folks who have had that little spring fly off into oblivion, I feel your pain. Despite being very careful I recently had the caps lock on a Corvus Concept keyboard spontaneously disassemble on the bench top. By a sheer miracle I found all the pieces and was laboriously able to reassemble the basted thing. I'm not sure where you'd find a replacement spring that small. It's a bronze coil spring with an outside diameter a bit smaller than the pin. Almost watch-mechanism small.

Return to “Keyboards”