Today I killed my daily driver for the last 6 years with a static shock

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

03 Mar 2022, 17:23

The last 6 years I used this keyboard almost daily. Cherry OG WoB and MX reds in Vintage MX black housings. Today I killed my RedscarfIII. I was wearing some thick clothes inside, because the not working radioator and build up some static, which unloaded into the frame. It really pisses me of, that thing had the perfect form factor and it seems there are currently no 96 PCBs in EU buyable (importing is currently no option, because of the hustle with the german import laws and the ridicules DHL fees for collecting them). I will try to see if there are only some diodes fried (one keypress triggers multiple keys), but it seems the backlight control is also fried, I dont have that much hope (I saw already it is a common problem with these keyboards). I liked it so much I even build a custom backplate for it. Just want to unload and rant a bit.
DSC07723.JPG
DSC07723.JPG (4.34 MiB) Viewed 2078 times

Myoth

03 Mar 2022, 17:34

it might be on strike, give it a clean, see if it helps :lol:

SK-8K

03 Mar 2022, 17:41

Was the case grounded?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

03 Mar 2022, 17:51

hypkx wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 17:23
[…] Just want to unload and rant a bit.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

03 Mar 2022, 17:54

Myoth wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 17:34
it might be on strike, give it a clean, see if it helps :lol:
:lol:

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

03 Mar 2022, 17:59

SK-8K wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 17:41
Was the case grounded?
Yes. I mean I didn't design it, but I think nobody would sell a keyboard without a grounded case (the part I added is connected with the original case). I know what you want say, but it would be pretty stupid if this thing wasn't grounded, but yeah kinda stupid that it broke because of something that can happen that fast.

Muirium
µ

03 Mar 2022, 18:10

Oh, ouch!

Pull out your multimeter and test the grounding. The outside of the USB plug is ground, so should conduct with the keyboard plate / shell. I suspect it's not grounded, and that's how it fried. Grounding is to protect against exactly this.

Nice to see you around, even in bad news times like these! I've almost gotten started converting that sweet little Marquardt Mini you gave me many years ago to Bluetooth… :lol:

viewtopic.php?p=498165#p498165

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

03 Mar 2022, 18:46

Muirium wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 18:10
Oh, ouch!

Pull out your multimeter and test the grounding. The outside of the USB plug is ground, so should conduct with the keyboard plate / shell. I suspect it's not grounded, and that's how it fried. Grounding is to protect against exactly this.

Nice to see you around, even in bad news times like these! I've almost gotten started converting that sweet little Marquardt Mini you gave me many years ago to Bluetooth… :lol:
Looks nice and the matrix tracing is really crazy. Reminds me tracing some keyboards on my own some years ago (I think a tipro keyboard which had a weird matrix of something like 9x11 and the keys where in a 10x10 grid). I am still around sometimes, but I don't buy anything (not many good deals left on ebay, the prices are inflated and shipping something outside germany sucks these days) and lost (almost) all interest in the new stuff (except new IBM QMK controllers). I have my beamspring and F-reproduction (which I dont use :lol: ). Currently I am working on a cheap TKL keyboard with kailh cream switches (I wanted to have a board with them since I tried them the first time on a meeting, but they were always sold out).

I was also thinking about doing something with bluetooth, but it seems there are no TKLs with bluetooth out there, also no 96 keyboards with bluetooth either (full programmable ones).
And my last try with a bluetooth keyboard was unsucessful, I wasn't able to connect it to my computer. Probably a outdated bluetooth modul. I still work on the same computer the most time, so the problem is still there.

I tested the keyboard with my multimeter, it seems the case is not grounded :roll: , but the pcb has those grounding pads at the screw mounts, so it should be grounded in theory. But as I said as I seached for my problem, somebody experienced the exact some stuff already.

Muirium
µ

03 Mar 2022, 19:02

The Bluetooth module I have in mind: a nice!nano. They're Pro Micro compatible, which means QMK, but they do Bluetooth, and sit on top of their battery. Good for tight spaces, like in that Marquardt. I'm just a little spent on Bluetooth controllers for the moment, as I just upgraded my second HHKB.

Ground? Who needs that when you're all plastic? :P

jsheradin

03 Mar 2022, 19:39

Muirium wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 19:02
The Bluetooth module I have in mind: a nice!nano. They're Pro Micro compatible, which means QMK, but they do Bluetooth, and sit on top of their battery.
Due to some licensing shenanigans they run ZMK instead of QMK. Seems pretty quick to set up and on-par feature wise but I have yet to mess with it.

They are pin compatible with Pro Micros though so they're a drop in replacement hardware wise.

Muirium
µ

03 Mar 2022, 19:47

Have you used one? The bit I'm iffy about is the battery it has to sit on top of. The Marquardt is a real challenge for installation, as the plate's only cut out *just* enough to drop something in there. I'm up for sourcing the bits and giving it a good cold look. Besides, the Pro Micro compatibility means I've a fallback project or two if that one just won't pan out.

jsheradin

03 Mar 2022, 19:55

From what I understand they'll work with any 3.7V lithium battery. The one they show on their website is just conveniently sized to nest between the pins. I've gathered the stuff for a project that will use a larger 18650 cell since I have the space for it.

Return to “Keyboards”