Zoom Talk by System76 Keyboard co-creator March 10th

dock9

09 Mar 2022, 20:02

The San Gabriel Valley Linux User's Group is hosting a Zoom talk by Levi Portenier, who led the System76 Keyboard project. All are invited.

A peek behind the curtain at how the Launch Configurable Keyboard was conceptualized and created at System76.

About Levi Portenier:

He's the Quality Assurance Manager at System76, and a long time keyboard fanatic. He's been in the thick of keyboard R&D at System76 since they first explored the idea of making their own custom keyboard.

Agenda:

Thursday, March 10th:
6:45pm Pacific Time - Introductions, chat
7:05pm Pacific Time - Announcements
7:15pm PT - Talk start -- Countdown to the System76 Launch Keyboard and System76 Q&A?

Zoom Link:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83518830884?p ... KUUtkdz09
About the SGVLUG:

The SGVLUG is one of the oldest and most active Linux User Groups in the Greater Los Angeles area. In addition to Linux, the group also shares interests in other free and open source software, all forms of technology, and the discussion of issues that arise with these new tools, such as privacy rights.

Muirium
µ

09 Mar 2022, 20:13

This, apparently:

Flat profile… and what’s up with the 2.25 unit keys?

Anyway, split spacebar is good.

Bjerrk

09 Mar 2022, 20:55

I remember watching a YouTube video on this (mostly because I'm sympathetic towards System76, though. They do good things). It's still a bit unclear to me how it is conceptually different from other programmable MX-y keyboards of a similar size?

Findecanor

09 Mar 2022, 21:33

Muirium wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 20:13
Flat profile… and what’s up with the 2.25 unit keys?
I read somewhere that they had chosen three key sizes (1u, 1.5u, 2u) and a flat profile so that you could move the keys around if you remapped them. That way, they had to make only one left Control key, one Backspace etc.

Not that I think anyone would want to map left Shift or Enter to anything else...

The key sizes and locations are definitely not compatible with my muscle memory.

Muirium
µ

09 Mar 2022, 21:44

Are they stabilised? That right “Space” key is in for a bad time if I ever typed on it. I hit on its right edge, 90% of the time.

Actually, the evidence of recent shine suggests I’m more or less in its middle:
Spoiler:
Still asking for trouble with non-stabilised 2.0 unit keys though, even Return and the Shifts.

Lanrefni

10 Mar 2022, 00:29

Muirium wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 21:44
Are they stabilised? That right “Space” key is in for a bad time if I ever typed on it. I hit on its right edge, 90% of the time.

Actually, the evidence of recent shine suggests I’m more or less in its middle:
Spoiler:
Still asking for trouble with non-stabilised 2.0 unit keys though, even Return and the Shifts.
Pics from the Ars Technica review shows stabilizers on all the visible 2u keys.

Return to “Keyboards”