Survey keyboards for my thesis

to01

07 Apr 2022, 15:33

Hello everyone, I am currently writing a thesis for my final year of high school. I need some data and I was hoping you guys could be so kind and fill in my survey, there are only 8 questions and I would really appriciate it if you guys could fill it in.

The survey has been closed!
Last edited by to01 on 12 Apr 2022, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

inozenz

07 Apr 2022, 15:39

to01 wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 15:33
Hello everyone, I am currently writing a thesis for my final year of high school. I need some data and I was hoping you guys could be so kind and fill in my survey, there are only 8 questions and I would really appriciate it if you guys could fill it in.

==============================================
Survey

no thank you

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Apr 2022, 15:55

You don’t even say what your thesis is about, so no, thanks.

fohat
Elder Messenger

07 Apr 2022, 16:10

Ranking doesn't work in first question.

edit - thanks, that works

The "experience" question is odd. How is it that "keyboard color" has : "impact on your typing experience? (think noise pollution, uncomfortable hand orientation or fatiguing factors)" ?
Last edited by fohat on 07 Apr 2022, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.

Palatino

07 Apr 2022, 16:32

fohat wrote:
Ranking doesn't work in first question.
It worked when I dragged-and-dropped, rather than clicking on the arrows. Not the most intuitive.

to01

07 Apr 2022, 17:13

kbdfr wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 15:55
You don’t even say what your thesis is about, so no, thanks.
It's about the influence and extent of different factors in keyboard design :D

to01

07 Apr 2022, 17:16

fohat wrote:
How is it that "keyboard color" has : "impact on your typing experience? (think noise pollution, uncomfortable hand orientation or fatiguing factors)" ?
I'm aware that keyboard color (realistically) wouldn't have any significant impact on typing experience however in case people thought otherwise I wanted to include it, apologies if it confused you.

Muirium
µ

Done. Pretty random group of questions, evidently built on assumptions I dispute, but that’s polling!

The question with the three sliders didn’t work great on my phone. I don’t really hate linears so much I’d give them zero. Yet, tug as I might, that third slider just would not move. Anyway, they are indeed my least favourite so it’s not that great a travesty!

According to this, I’m an ergo despising switch fetishist who doesn’t actually like any kind of switches. (I couldn’t honestly rate clicky or tactile let alone linear switches highly as there are plenty of miserably awful examples of all types! I care about specific switches, not general categories.) The only undistorted answer was the free text box to describe your favourite layout: HHKB. That I can endorse. :lol:

to01

07 Apr 2022, 17:27

Muirium wrote:
Done. Pretty random group of questions, evidently built on assumptions I dispute, but that’s polling!

The question with the three sliders didn’t work great on my phone. I don’t really hate linears so much I’d give them zero. Yet, tug as I might, that third slider just would not move. Anyway, they are indeed my least favourite so it’s not that great a travesty!

According to this, I’m an ergo despising switch fetishist who doesn’t actually like any kind of switches. (I couldn’t honestly rate clicky or tactile let alone linear switches highly as there are plenty of miserably awful examples of all types! I care about specific switches, not general categories.) The only undistorted answer was the free text box to describe your favourite layout: HHKB. That I can endorse. :lol:
The slider question makes you divide 100 points so you most likely spent all 100 points on tactile and clicky, I know it's confusing but the polling service I am using doesn't let me use anything better sadly.

The reason the switches are divided by type is because my thesis is going to be sent to people who don't know anything about switches and as such it would be really confusing to them if I started writing about holy panda's or box navy's since they wouldn't have even heard of tactile, linear and clicky before reading my thesis

I apologise if you couldn't find answers you particularly agree with but thank you for filling in my survey, its seriously a huge help.

Muirium
µ

07 Apr 2022, 17:55

No worries, glad to help. As I said: all polling is flawed. You're kinda forced into making forced choices. Opinions are really complicated when you meet them face to face! Especially the kind you find in folks like us. :geek:

Shorle

07 Apr 2022, 22:13

About the influence of clicky switches on workflow:
I believe it can be helping productivity to get in a flow-mindstate, like a rhythm game kind of thing when you are the one typing.
When sharing a space with someone else I believe it's distracting until it reaches a critical mass of people in the space when they combine to a helpfull background noise.
So it's hard to have a general answer for that.

wobbled

07 Apr 2022, 22:53

I don't even feel bad
dielineardie.jpg
dielineardie.jpg (109.94 KiB) Viewed 2308 times

to01

08 Apr 2022, 14:24

Shorle wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 22:13
About the influence of clicky switches on workflow:
I believe it can be helping productivity to get in a flow-mindstate, like a rhythm game kind of thing when you are the one typing.
When sharing a space with someone else I believe it's distracting until it reaches a critical mass of people in the space when they combine to a helpfull background noise.
So it's hard to have a general answer for that.
hmm, that makes sense, could I use your message as a source in my thesis?

CaesarAZealad

08 Apr 2022, 16:49

I don't know what college you're going to that lets you cite DT as a source XD
Is the poll legit? No IP grabber? Might give it a whirl.

Muirium
µ

08 Apr 2022, 17:47

Keeb College. Totally legit. Wonder if they're hiring professors…

Shorle

09 Apr 2022, 10:08

to01 wrote:
Feel free to do implement my little theory-thought but as CaesarAZealad stated it's probably not source worthy for a thesis.

to01

09 Apr 2022, 14:41

CaesarAZealad wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 16:49
I don't know what college you're going to that lets you cite DT as a source XD
Is the poll legit? No IP grabber? Might give it a whirl.
I am legit allowed to use anything as a source lmao, also nah its not an ip grabber, you can look up survio if you'd like, it's just the polling service I happen to use.

to01

09 Apr 2022, 14:44

Muirium wrote:
It's for highschool lol, I'm calling it a thesis for lack of a better word, we are actually allowed to write it about anything so (sadly) I am not going to a keeb college

to01

09 Apr 2022, 14:46

Shorle wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 10:08
to01 wrote:
Feel free to do implement my little theory-thought but as CaesarAZealad stated it's probably not source worthy for a thesis.
I think it'll be a great source (:
Thanks for letting me use it

CaesarAZealad

09 Apr 2022, 15:28

to01 wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 14:44
Muirium wrote:
It's for highschool lol, I'm calling it a thesis for lack of a better word, we are actually allowed to write it about anything so (sadly) I am not going to a keeb college
Oh I know what you're doing. They called that something strange when I was in high school but I get what you're talking about. Keystone or something. I wrote mine on fallout new vegas, so he's all good :)

to01

12 Apr 2022, 16:46

Thanks for answering yall! The survey has been closed.

Return to “Keyboards”