Noob asking for help

NooB

21 Apr 2022, 03:41

---
Last edited by NooB on 22 Apr 2022, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.

Go-Kart

21 Apr 2022, 08:55

As a fan of most switches, I'd like to clarify that the most disparaging remarks on this thread are aimed at Cherry-branded MX switches. As has been mentioned, Cherry can't keep up with the clones, though, it is a subjective judgement after all. Preference and the delta between a poor rubber dome board, and a new Cherry MX board are things to consider.

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works and suggest you buy several keyboards :mrgreen: Something like a used Dell Bigfoot can be had for £30-£40 and will give you a taste of Alps switches. A second hand Topre will still set you back a pretty penny (likely best to cast a wide net, Leopold, RealForce, HHKB) but will give you a good idea of whether you wish to travel down that road. Used MX boards are ten-a-penny. Find one for an inoffensive price with MX switches (non-Cherry), different to the ones that you've already tried to see what else the MX platform offers. While you at it, keep an eye out for an old, "fully functional" IBM Model M, £50 should get you there if your eBay game is on point or you find a fellow Kraut on DT (there are a few and all gentleman as far as I've experienced).

The reality is, you'll likely keep all of these keyboards I've mentioned. You'll find that something like an MX board is great for gaming, while you may prefer a Topre for extended periods of typing. The Model M/Bigfoot may just be on your desk to look sexy as a daily driver.

I am speaking from experience. If you're new to the hobby, DT is the best/worse place. It's great because of the community. It's great because you'll be inspired to track down beautiful keyboards but that's also why it's bad to visit here ...your wallet will be upset :lol:

I set out to buy one keyboard a few years ago... I bought five keyboards this past Sunday alone... I have no idea how many I currently have. I only got into keyboards at the start of lockdown ...I blame DT!

Muirium
µ

21 Apr 2022, 11:14

Your home doesn't have to get quite that inundated by your keyboard disorder hobby! I was in that hot phase back in 2013-15, on and off, and learned there is such a thing as TOO MOAR K3YBR0DS! You've also got to let them go. I've no more than 20 keyboards total now—still enough to make a normal person sure you're mental—and I've only that many because they're the good stuff. Kishsaver, Beamspring, 3 SSKs (yes, yes…), and my 2 HHKBs I really use.

I do have a Cherry G80-3000 in ISO I should let go. Tried selling it a while ago but I couldn't bloody find a courier to ship it abroad for sensible money!

NooB

21 Apr 2022, 11:33

---
Last edited by NooB on 22 Apr 2022, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

21 Apr 2022, 11:36

Steady boys! I had a word already.

Meanwhile, back to keyboards. I'm guessing these are too small for your liking?

hellothere wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 00:48
Mu would want to lead you down the path of the HHKB (Happy Hacking Keyboard), from which there will be no return.
Just doing my duty. :lol:

NooB

21 Apr 2022, 12:46

---

kbdfr
The Tiproman

21 Apr 2022, 12:49

NooB wrote:
Go-Kart wrote:
Kraut
:roll: Fuck you.
C’mon, be fair and consider the whole quote:
Go-Kart wrote:
[…] a fellow Kraut on DT (there are a few and all gentleman as far as I've experienced). […]

As far as keyboards are concerned, you could open a thread in our German section and ask if anybody would lend you a specific keyboard you are interested in.
A pity the language sections of DT are excluded from the spy function, by the way.

NooB

21 Apr 2022, 13:14

---

Muirium
µ

21 Apr 2022, 13:16

NooB wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 12:46
I like the ones without the numpad, but I'd prefer if they still have the F1-12 keys and the arrow keys as well.
You're after tenkeyless (TKL) then. A common mistake, but no one's perfect! ;)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

21 Apr 2022, 13:43

NooB wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 13:14
[…] :lol: That's like telling a black person "I don't know many n*ggers, but the ones I met were all gentlemen!" and then (after they get upset) "C’mon, be fair and consider the whole quote!"
Cleared in my answer to your PM that I personally do not find the word "Kraut" to be insulting, but it could be due to my insufficient command of the English language - and of insults generally.
I would suggest we leave it at that :D

Go-Kart

21 Apr 2022, 13:56

NooB wrote:
Go-Kart wrote:
Kraut
:roll: Fuck you.
Sorry to cause offense. None was intended. Thought it was similar to calling a Brit a Limey, or an American a Yank.

Muirium
µ

21 Apr 2022, 13:59

There we go!

I believe Go-kart said it in just the same playful style as everyone's free to call me a Jock. I'll not take insult! (Trash talk my keyboards if you want to see me cross!) But while that's my right, it's not up to me what other people feel when the joke's on them.

Anyway, how about we fight the ISO vs. ANSI jihad instead!

NooB

21 Apr 2022, 14:06

---

wobbled

21 Apr 2022, 14:07

I'm a limey? :o
Admittedly I call my American wife a yank all the time :D

Muirium
µ

21 Apr 2022, 14:47

Try saying that to a Southerner. You'll wind up drawing pistols!

marcuso

21 Apr 2022, 15:32

On the subject of QWERTY vs QWERTZ keep in mind that not all keysets allow you to swap the keys between rows as they have a different profile. So a non-German keyset Z will look very out of place on row 3 next to the T.

Model M/F keyboards have a curved backplate so the keys are all the same shape and you can happily mix up the keys into whatever layout you like.

hellothere

21 Apr 2022, 16:56

marcuso wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 15:32
On the subject of QWERTY vs QWERTZ keep in mind that not all keysets allow you to swap the keys between rows as they have a different profile. So a non-German keyset Z will look very out of place on row 3 next to the T.

Model M/F keyboards have a curved backplate so the keys are all the same shape and you can happily mix up the keys into whatever layout you like.
There's also ortholinear, DSA, and XDA that are all the same height for keycaps. There's a little rundown at https://switchandclick.com/sa-vs-dsa-vs ... p-profiles. I'm currently using an XDA set on my "Niz" Abko. It took about a week to get used to it. The vintage Omnom Omron B3G-S keyboard I recently purchased has SA profile, but that keyboard needs some work, so I haven't played with it that much.

NooB

21 Apr 2022, 18:51

---

Muirium
µ

21 Apr 2022, 19:00

And so our layout lesson continues with JIS: the Japanese standard keyboard layout.

Note the many differences compared to ISO:

They are not the same. JIS shrinks the spacebar and puts extra modifier keys down there, which don't do anything by default on PCs, as I understand. (I'd try remapping them to something useful with Karabiner on the Mac, but as I hit spacebar under N and M, I'd be going crazy with that edge anyway.) Again you wouldn't be able to put German caps on a Japanese keyboard without awkward mix and match.

The Realforce R3 is interesting, but also brand new, very expensive and entirely Japanese. Maybe once it comes out here in Europe, Topre will make an ISO version. If they do, you should be able to buy the German one you need, without any messing around.

Just for reference, this is what a German Realforce looks like. Keyboard Co is out of stock, though, and their photography stinks. Black Realforces aren't slimy looking like that in reality. And my white one is not beige, as their pics suggest! Guys… :roll:

wobbled

21 Apr 2022, 20:09

I really wouldn't hold your breath on Topre releasing an ISO version of the R3 considering an ISO version of the R2 boards don't exist.
It's pretty much ANSI or nothing unfortunately.

Muirium
µ

21 Apr 2022, 20:37

My suspicion is the R2 doesn’t stick around, or if it does then it’s as the low end wired version of the family, meaning there’s plenty of time for it to fill the ISO niche if Topre values European sales at all.

Besides, R3 is crazy expensive just now. No harm holding off on grabbing one.

Shorle

21 Apr 2022, 23:51

I know what you mean when you fear all MX boards ping annoyingly. If I hadn't come from a corsair one I might have aboarded the ship after my short meeting with a Qisan MagicForce 69. The gateron reds felt nice but the plate kept resonating on specific key presses. Gladly not all MX boards are build that badly and as mentioned above you can test used ones very cheaply.
I haven't tried topre or good clones but I think they are a good bet if you want a one-and-done-deal.

I might just be insensitive to name calling but I doubt Kraut is an insult to be taken as harshly. (I'm one myself btw)

NooB

22 Apr 2022, 13:13

---
Last edited by NooB on 22 Apr 2022, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

22 Apr 2022, 13:42

what the actual fick?

zoomers ... all they do is wear chokers, buy chinese cherry clones and feel offended.

NooB

22 Apr 2022, 13:51

---
Last edited by NooB on 22 Apr 2022, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

22 Apr 2022, 13:54

Wow thunderkraut detected

Muirium
µ

22 Apr 2022, 14:56

All’s null that ends null.

wobbled

22 Apr 2022, 15:02

I'm always last to the party, I guess I missed the action.

'Thunderkraut' had me in tears though, thank you Wodan.

marcuso

22 Apr 2022, 17:33

--- ?

Is that moderation or rage-quitting?

Muirium
µ

22 Apr 2022, 17:35

The latter. The “Last edited by” text does not lie.

Return to “Keyboards”