How usable is the Model F XT layout?

themk

01 May 2022, 04:59

XT layout isn't that bad. It may be a bit of an acquired taste with the stepped keycaps, but otherwise the layout itself isn't the worst.

Certainly, though, IBM knew even at that time that they needed to improve it from user feedback, and that's how we got the AT and Enhanced Keyboard (model M) layouts.

I do think the XT layout is still better than the AT layout at the very least.

NathanA

01 May 2022, 05:08

themk wrote:
In what universe?! :)

xxhellfirexx

01 May 2022, 06:17

NathanA wrote:
01 May 2022, 05:08
themk wrote:
In what universe?! :)
It's purely opinion, but I find the XT layout to be more usable than the AT layout. IBM XT layouts has an extra key beside both shift keys that I remap to ctrl. In the AT layout, I have to map the ctrl key to ctrl or shift based on a single or double tap.

Polecat

01 May 2022, 06:47

I used F-XT and F-AT back in the day. My biggest gripe about the F-AT was its Esc key being in the numpad. This was in the DOS days, pre-mouse, and the Esc key was quite heavily used in DOS programs. When I switched from an XT to a 286 my F-XT and Leading Edge DC-2014 no longer worked. I got a freebie F-AT keyboard, but I couldn't get used to the Esc key being on the right. I figured I'd just open up the F-AT and cut the traces and rewire a couple switches to put them where I wanted, as I had done with a couple Alps XT keyboards. Surprise, that obviously didn't happen. There was no remapping software at the time that I was aware of, so I grudgingly used the AT layout. I eventually found a Northgate 102 (and later a Leading Edge DC-2214) and I haven't touched the F-AT since. I did prefer the crisper feel of the F-AT over the F-XT, for what that's worth.

fohat
Elder Messenger

01 May 2022, 15:09

xxhellfirexx wrote:
01 May 2022, 06:17

IBM XT layouts has an extra key beside both shift keys
AT with ANSI mod and adding Alt keys, and moving Escape to F1 is the way to go. Just takes a few minutes of Dremel work while you have it apart.

Return to “Keyboards”