Vintage Keyboards Sound Tests | Vintage Keyboards Videos Database

Muirium
µ

13 Nov 2023, 22:41

I’m disputing the scale. Model F (in the screenshot immediately above my post) has a hell of a lot more tactility than 7/10. That’s such a strange metric to ding it for.

Anyway, as said screenshot also says: “personal,” as was my cheeky bastard comment. :mrgreen:

photekq
Cherry Picker

13 Nov 2023, 22:50

Muirium wrote:
13 Nov 2023, 22:41
I’m disputing the scale.
And I'm disputing your dispute :lol:

Going by the 'personal review' screenshot thefarside posted, it seems that OP's tactility rating isn't commenting on how pleasant the tactility is, but rather how severe the switch tactility feels with respect to others he's tried - it's annotated as totally linear on the low end, and really tactile on the high end.

The Model F may be the most tactile switch you've ever tried, surely deserving of a 9-10/10 in your book. But it's likely the case that OP has tried switches that are more severely tactile than the ones you have, hence the 7/10 score. Going by his scale, he doesn't necessarily find them nicer to use, but they are more tactile.

mmm

13 Nov 2023, 23:24

The tactility in any of the model F keyboards I own is pretty mild if you compare it to something like the Zeal Clickies. There are a lot of modern MX-style switches that are very tactile, way beyond what I could reasonably use for extended periods. Some older domes can also tend to be pretty tactile, to the point of feeling binary. The tactility of a model F is definitely among my favorite, and the reason for this is because the tactility is not too pronounced.

genericusername57

13 Nov 2023, 23:51

Zeal Clickiez are absurdly tactile, overwhelmingly so. If they are a 10/10 I'd rank buckling springs at a 5 max.

Rayndalf

13 Nov 2023, 23:57

Yeah. The Model F is a very polite feeling switch.
Beamsprings are shockingly gentle compared to what someone might expect based on their reputation too.

They have nice tactility. But it's not overbearing or extremely pronounced.
The idea that MOST TACTILIEST = good is new and mainly born out of people wanting something more tactile than MX browns (which were meant to be "ergonomic" and reuse existing Cherry parts, not feel amazing).

engr

14 Nov 2023, 00:07

The most objective measure of tactility would be something along these lines:

Tactility = (force drop at tactile event)/(peak force)

By that measure, buckling springs are somewhere around 30-50% (I'd have to check the HaaTa's measurements for the exact number). Chyros mentioned some unnamed Alps clone switch with a tactility of around 90% or so, which is probably as high as it goes.

Muirium
µ

14 Nov 2023, 11:37

By that metric: maybe Space Invaders would be more tactile than Model F, too. They're definitely more "crunchy" to me, but their tactility is blunted. Model F's is so sharp. It's that sharp, clean, pure tactility that speaks to me.

If someone can parametise exactly what makes blue Alps feel better than black Space Invaders or blue NEC ovals, I'd like to see a table of the results. :D

clickandthock

14 Nov 2023, 15:23

Muirium wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 09:38
My personal review of that personal review is it's bullshit. Model F tactility at only 70%? What, prey tell, ranks 80, 90 or 100? Crushing diamonds? :lol:
Try Alps SKCM Amber, Proworld switches and tell me after ! :)

thefarside

14 Nov 2023, 15:49

Never tried amber but Matias quiet click have strong tactility.

clickandthock

17 Jan 2024, 03:29

Olivetti ANK 25-101 keyboard Sound Test and Review. Snappy rubber domes!

clickandthock

06 Feb 2024, 20:25

NOS Maxi Switch Maxi PRO-II keyboard with Maxi Switch Dome with Slider!
Find it brand new in the box... Quick unboxing and Sound Test!

clickandthock

01 Apr 2024, 03:28

Here's the Key Tronic A65-02028 mechanical keyboard Sound Test and Review! The Key Tronic A65 is an extremely well-made and sturdy vintage keyboard made of metal! It is heavy and looks great with its thick double-shot keycaps. This keyboard uses Key Tronic Foam and Foil mechanisms, which in this case was scratchy and heavy (the keyboard was dirty)... That's so sad because this keyboard is so cool! I was not sure of the name; I haven't found any information on this keyboard online... The full name is Key Tronic A65-02028 or A65-02023 because the last digit is hard to read...

Return to “Keyboards”