Score!

The Laptop Lagger

11 Jul 2022, 15:25

So, nowadays I happen to be working at a local thrift shop
And you shoulda seen the look on my face when we got in a whole mini collection of AT Keyboards.
Especially when I got told to cut the cords off and toss them into the recycling bin, so after asking my boss I was able to take them home for €0.50 each.
So here I am now, showing off my loot!

They all need a thorough clean and they're yellowed to hell and back, but so far I've gotten 4 out of 5 working using a Din5 to PS/2 adapter and PS/2 to USB.

I'm using the Tulip as I write this and noticing some chatter but eh whatever. Hope to be able to contact spray the hell out of that.

Another interesting note about the Tulip, the Deskthority wiki lists "ATK 02.01.01" as having: "Clicky switches with dull brown sliders; United States ANSI layout with big-ass enter and single-unit backspace."
But my Tulip SMK Series board has that exact model code but uses tactile switches with white sliders.
Spoiler:

All in all not a bad set for €2.50
Last edited by The Laptop Lagger on 26 Jul 2022, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.

Bjerrk

11 Jul 2022, 15:43

Sweeet!
I just paid (somwhat) real money for a Futaba MA board like that!

Muirium
µ

11 Jul 2022, 16:10

Somewhat real?
Spoiler:

Bjerrk

11 Jul 2022, 16:19

Muirium wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 16:10
Somewhat real?
You know, fleebenty five dollars and 17 seashells. That ballpark.

The Laptop Lagger

11 Jul 2022, 17:58

Personally I'm really happy with the Tulip, the tactile typing feel is swell! That and the Futaba MA board is the one board I haven't yet gotten fully up and running. It doesn't play nice with my basic PS/2 USB converter which isn't too surprising. Honestly I'm more surprised that the other do work with it!

Also I love the dust cover on the Tulip and MA! Needed some tape to get sorta whole again but it's a lovely touch!

The Laptop Lagger

18 Jul 2022, 19:19

To update the above thread, I also picked up 2 Dell AT101Ws from the same source.
One of which missing two switches but still a brilliant find especially for someone with an ever growing alps collection! Plan on modding one of them to finally get my foot in the door of that scene

Weezer

19 Jul 2022, 22:27

At my workplace we just tossed a bunch of keyboards like these. Should have hung onto them.

LambdaCore

21 Jul 2022, 00:19

Man, I'm jealous! My old job, janitorial work for a college, had a couple of decent condition blue badge Model Ms, though nothing crazy. They were hooked up to decades old PCs that probably weren't in use anymore, however these weren't in storage so who knows--regardless they weren't going to let some custodial worker take them whether or not they're really in active use. I really need to visit local flee markets and recycling centers some day, it's just a matter of hiking up there I suppose.

Slight edit: I do currently work at a nursing home that transitioned from a hospital a while ago, so there could be some decent keyboards not in use down in our basement, tough to say.

Muirium
µ

21 Jul 2022, 12:24

Keyboard collecting proletarians of the world unite! :D

The potential for decent keyboards in the basement is always there. Though getting permission to liberate them is likely to be the harder part than simply finding them.

thefarside

21 Jul 2022, 13:51

Finds like this are always win-win. You prevent something from going into the landfill and unite a keyboard with someone who will appreciate it. Great job!

LambdaCore

21 Jul 2022, 14:42

I’ve seen a similar movement with crts, though those are a lot harder to save due to their size :(

The Laptop Lagger

21 Jul 2022, 23:26

Issue with the recycling center I work at is that most of these old keyboards, if not all (lest it has an IBM badge), get the cord cut off to be broken down into parts.
Even the AT101Ws were on the chopping block
I'm scared to think how many hundreds of boards they've thrown out in the years prior to my work there.

thefarside

21 Jul 2022, 23:46

These babies (MicroSwitch SD) were in an e-waste container ready for the landfill/recycling center. Anytime I see a waste bin I always check because you might find some treasure!
IMG_5592.jpg
IMG_5592.jpg (3.3 MiB) Viewed 1831 times

mmm

23 Jul 2022, 00:20

thefarside wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 23:46
These babies (MicroSwitch SD) were in an e-waste container ready for the landfill/recycling center. Anytime I see a waste bin I always check because you might find some treasure!
IMG_5592.jpg
It always amazes me that nearly pristine tech from the 70ies can pop up in e-waste containers. Out of curiosity, what kind of area was this container located in? I have a hard time stringing up the chain of events leading to it being there. Amazing boards!

thefarside

23 Jul 2022, 16:03

mmm wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 00:20
It always amazes me that nearly pristine tech from the 70ies can pop up in e-waste containers. Out of curiosity, what kind of area was this container located in? I have a hard time stringing up the chain of events leading to it being there. Amazing boards!
It’s kind of a long story…
I work in a large office complex and one day one of the offices that had appeared to be closed for years suddenly had an old computer rack with a MicroSwitch SD keyboard outside the office door. Weeks went by and curiosity got the best of me and I decided to check it out. The insides were removed but the shell and keyboard remained. I decided to periodically check on it in case it was getting thrown out.

One day this office was open with more stuff outside including more computer racks, filing cabinets, and other boxes of stuff. I talked to the man and learned he was getting kicked out and couldn’t believe that his contracts had expired, no one tried to renew them and his management wants him to get rid of everything and move out. He was too upset for me to ask about the keyboards but I went by everyday hoping for a salvage opportunity.

A few days later there were several managerial-type people outside the office with a few large e-waste boxes setup and I went over to ask salvage opportunities. Apparently this person was kind of like Milton in Office Space where he had been forgotten about and the large company he worked for had continued paying the rent for his office space even though the contracts had run out. They hired an e-waste company to clear everything out and as long as it was OK with them I could have whatever I wanted! They also let me check out the office.

The office wasn’t large but OMG was it packed with stuff. This person was an electronic repair technician and he had some kind of maintenance contract going back decades and had kept everything he had ever gotten to hoarder levels! The office was piled high with so many different items it was overwhelming.

I was able to directly get two MicroSwitch SD keyboards and several Chicony KB-5181 and 5191 boards. I got friendly with the two guys clearing out the office and told them I would take every keyboard they came across. This resulted in more MicroSwitches a couple orange alps M0116s and an orange alps M0115 in great condition, along with a lot of rubber domes, oh and an all metal keyboard and mouse combo with Marquardt Series 6184 switches for the keyboard and Mx Blue for the mouse buttons. Below is a pic of that interesting board.

There was a post years ago of someone in Argentina finding an IBM F77 in a garbage pile outside of a bank (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22176) and after reading that amazing post I always check to see if you can find treasure in other people’s trash! Sorry for the long story but I hope that helps explain how I got those keyboards. :)
Metal Keyboard and Collection Closeup:
Collection Small Size.jpeg
Collection Small Size.jpeg (161.17 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
Marquardt Series 6184 Switch Closeup:
W Switch Closeup.jpeg
W Switch Closeup.jpeg (964.33 KiB) Viewed 1694 times

mmm

24 Jul 2022, 22:24

thefarside wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 16:03
It’s kind of a long story…
.. but a good one.

I can feel that conversation with keyboards in the head but having to prioritize being human - glad it worked out in the end, what a nice score! Thanks for sharing this

Return to “Keyboards”