ProWorld clicky switches Sound Test video| Can you indentify this keyboard?

clickandthock

27 Aug 2022, 03:49

I found this keyboard for cheap with very interesting switches inside, but I can't identify the keyboard... If somebody have the answer...
The switches are ProWorld clicky switches. They are extremely tactile and heavy. They are Cherry MX Clone with a click leaf. The design look similar to Zeal Clickiez, but they really look like Cherry MX Black from the outside.

thefarside

27 Aug 2022, 04:42

Interesting. Where did you find this gem? It reminds me of a Focus FK-555 and a Monterey K104. I have a single Zeal Clickiez switch and it’s surprising how sharp the tactility is composed to alps. I’m curious how the ProWorlds compare.

Polecat

27 Aug 2022, 04:46

clickandthock wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 03:49
I found this keyboard for cheap with very interesting switches inside, but I can't identify the keyboard... If somebody have the answer...
The switches are ProWorld clicky switches. They are extremely tactile and heavy. They are Cherry MX Clone with a click leaf. The design look similar to Zeal Clickiez, but they really look like Cherry MX Black from the outside.
The case looks very much like a Focus FK-555:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175376517715

Those typically have Alps or Mitsumi switches, but that doesn't mean they all did. Or that someone else couldn't have put their own PC board into cases from Focus or their supplier.

clickandthock

27 Aug 2022, 05:03

I have a Focus FK-555. The shape of the board is really similar your are right. But the construction of the focus is way better than this one. And there was no trace of focus inside the board... It really looks more similar to the TTI TA-14... But again, no certitude about it...
Her my Focus FK-555 and this keyboard side to side. The focus is the one on the top. Thanks for your comments!
Photo 2022-08-26, 11 00 40 PM.jpg
Photo 2022-08-26, 11 00 40 PM.jpg (3.37 MiB) Viewed 1492 times
Photo 2022-08-26, 11 00 26 PM.jpg
Photo 2022-08-26, 11 00 26 PM.jpg (3.79 MiB) Viewed 1492 times

Polecat

27 Aug 2022, 05:22

In the past we have seen oddball keyboards in the later FK-2001-style cases with MX or clone switches and terminal layouts. And Focus-style PC keyboards with odd branding and layouts. I'm guessing there was a lot more sharing of factories and suppliers than is obvious just from the brand names. The early stuff like this is much more poorly documented than what came later, because of the sheer numbers produced as PC clones became more popular. The "87" in your serial number is most likely the year it was made.

clickandthock

27 Aug 2022, 17:58

Polecat wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 05:22
In the past we have seen oddball keyboards in the later FK-2001-style cases with MX or clone switches and terminal layouts. And Focus-style PC keyboards with odd branding and layouts. I'm guessing there was a lot more sharing of factories and suppliers than is obvious just from the brand names. The early stuff like this is much more poorly documented than what came later, because of the sheer numbers produced as PC clones became more popular. The "87" in your serial number is most likely the year it was made.
You are probably right!!

Polecat

27 Aug 2022, 19:12

Here's a link to one of the earlier discussions. Focus 2001-style case but with MX switches and a DEC layout. Even has the slots for the clips that held the dust cover:

viewtopic.php?p=478392#p478392

Another old discussion, the original photos (ebay) are long gone, but I have them saved someplace. This one had four LEDs instead of three and a 1u backspace, but in a very Focus-like case. I reposted the bottom photo and one of a Focus model to show the similarities:

viewtopic.php?p=447279#p447279

Keymouse and Packintell also sold keyboards with Focus-style cases but different layouts and internals.

headphone_jack

27 Aug 2022, 20:47

I recognize this! This is a TTI TA-12 C. They appear to be Taiwanese clones of the Focus FK-555. I bought one a few months ago, unfortunately mine had alps.tw MX clone switches in it instead of the ProWorlds I was hoping for. I believe this could also come with KeyWorlds, although I haven't seen an example of that yet. They're pretty decent boards, the Cherry clone caps are fair quality and sound pretty good. Nice find!

clickandthock

28 Aug 2022, 04:51

headphone_jack wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 20:47
I recognize this! This is a TTI TA-12 C. They appear to be Taiwanese clones of the Focus FK-555. I bought one a few months ago, unfortunately mine had alps.tw MX clone switches in it instead of the ProWorlds I was hoping for. I believe this could also come with KeyWorlds, although I haven't seen an example of that yet. They're pretty decent boards, the Cherry clone caps are fair quality and sound pretty good. Nice find!
Nice!! Thanks man! I will dig into it!

TheInverseKey

30 Aug 2022, 07:11

Uhh not sure why this doesn't sound right maybe the mic but for sure this is not close to this in person.

Muirium
µ

30 Aug 2022, 10:25

Keyboard sound videos are almost always misleading, in my experience. People put the microphone down, like a normal person, but a keyboard is not a human voice conveniently mounted in a vibration free mount made of bone and meat! :lol:

No, no, keyboards pound away through the desk. The mic picks that vibration up aplenty instead. Everything sounds like it would if you’ve your ear firmly pressed against the desktop. Which is one way to type, I guess…

Proper keyboard micing needs a lot more fuss. You need the mic up where your ears would be, and you absolutely need it on a fancy vibration free mount. Taping it to your head probably won’t quite work, but something closer to that than just setting it down on your resonating soundboard of a desk.

[Skips ahead to the actual typing in the video]

Actually, this one is well miced from overhead on a boom. Strange it comes across as so plinky and weak though. Maybe get in closer? I’ve had louder sounding MX blacks!

Return to “Keyboards”