Proto SKCM Brown

TheInverseKey

08 Oct 2022, 05:55

For other adventures see Gainsborough's other adventure

Texas Instruments Portable Professional Computer
I recently bought a keyboard and I saw that the switch was a green switch and thought that it would be SKCL prototype like the SKCL Cream version that Gains found on their keyboard.

But something else came in the keyboard instead...

The first thing that I noticed was that the keyboard kinda felt tactile but also linear at the same time so I thought that for sure I got SKCL Proto switches.

Then I decided to take the switch apart and notice that it had a fake switch plate! This seems to be the first iteration of SKCMAT!

The switches themselves have a shorter travel due to the bottom housings having a longer pole where the spring resides.
Spoiler:
The top housing on these switches are keyed as the sliders only go in one way like SKCL Proto. You can see the difference between SKCM Brown and Proto switches top housing.
Spoiler:
The top housing of the switch is slightly smaller on one side therefore the slider is only allowed to fit one way.
Spoiler:
Also, there are no rails on one side of the top housing, unlike SKCM Browns but rather a smoother side where it also protrudes slightly out of the side of the top housing.
Spoiler:
The fake switch plate that is used in these switches is different than what is in browns and the tactile fingers that are used are slightly different angle and also shorter as well. The tactile leaf is narrower than SKCM Brown. Therefore, a regular brown tactile leaf will not work in these switches. This is the first time this top housing has been noted before.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
SKCM Proto VS SKCMAT
Spoiler:
Another Angle
Spoiler:
Front to Back: SKCMAT, Proto, SKCM Brown
Spoiler:
SKCM Brown VS Proto
Spoiler:
The tactility of these switches sits between SKCM Brown and SKCMAT (Neon Green).

Due to the shorter bottom out the switch has a tiny bit of pre-travel before the tactility event. At the end of the tactility event, the travel in the switch ends. Therefore, the switches are tactile the whole way through.

I would love to get a force curve of these switches in the future.
Last edited by TheInverseKey on 02 Apr 2023, 22:45, edited 3 times in total.

John Doe

08 Oct 2022, 06:12

Do we know how many switch variants these TI boards come with in total?

So far, NeonGreen, Brown, low-height ITW magnetic valve and this one? :o

TheInverseKey

08 Oct 2022, 06:34

John Doe wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 06:12
Do we know how many switch variants these TI boards come with in total?

So far, NeonGreen, Brown, low-height ITW magnetic valve and this one? :o
Not sure but Brown is the most common and these are a needle in a haystack.

Return to “Keyboards”