Any capacitive keyboards with ISO (nor) layout out there?

XCII

17 Oct 2022, 00:10

I have owned 2 Topre keyboards in ISO nordic layout, and being the complete and utter idiot I am, I ended up selliong them both.

...And now they've been discontinued.

At first, I tried looking for them - then used ones - then ISO british with other keycaps and stem converters - then other brands with capacitive switches and ANY form of ISO...

And then I gave up.

And so, I come to you.

Do YOU know of any electro capacitive keyboards that "feels like Topre" in ISO (preferably nordic) layout? Alternatively, any that can be converted to ISO nor with aftermarket keycaps?

Thanks in advance!

Nuum

17 Oct 2022, 07:06

You could go the complicated route by buying an HHKB JP (JIS layout) and replacing the controller with one from hasu to reprogram it to be closer to ISO. You'd also need to replace the sliders with MX sliders (e.g. from deskeys) and put on aftermarket keycaps. Also you'd just have a 60% keyboard with that, albeit with arrow keys.

Muirium
µ

17 Oct 2022, 10:28

…and goofy staggering.
Spoiler:
I’m a huge HHKB fanboy, but even I wouldn’t advise this keyboard for the vague similarity with ISO. HHKB JP is its own thing, exotic.

mmm

17 Oct 2022, 16:59

Unfortunately luxury domes and ISO is not something that's produced at the moment. Even Niz does ANSI only. There is also JP Realforce boards, but they have the weird small spacebar, and the left shift is long. Some (or all?) Realforce RGB boards use MX-stems, so aftermarket Nordic keycaps would be relatively easy here.

Otherwise your best bet is watching out for a second hand ISO board - or spend way too much time (and money) designing and making one yourself.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

17 Oct 2022, 17:11

I've got some Novatouch ISO TKLs - MINUS THE SLIDERS - left over in case you can somehow get some third parts sliders and matching keycaps.

Muirium
µ

17 Oct 2022, 21:26

Oh yeah, I forgot all about the ISO Novatouch. Get one if you can they are very compatible with general MX ISO key caps.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=8968

XCII

18 Oct 2022, 16:18

Hi and thank you for the relies - hadn't recieved notifications of any of them.

I ended up buying a Realforce R2 PFU with ANSI layout - I'll just have to get used to that layout :-)

Return to “Keyboards”