Typewriter Switch Log - with pictures

guidemetothelight

17 Oct 2022, 22:33

Something iam working on for quite a while now, thought i´d share it with you guys ! :)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

TNT

17 Oct 2022, 22:42

Oh hell yeah, that's super useful. Are you planning on making this like a "complete" compendium on typewriters with discrete switches?

guidemetothelight

17 Oct 2022, 23:34

TNT wrote:
Oh hell yeah, that's super useful. Are you planning on making this like a "complete" compendium on typewriters with discrete switches?
I initially planned on it , yes , but it is a very labour intensive task and iam currently planning a lot of other keyboard related stuff so i dont find the time to write messages on kleinanzeigen to find people willing to pull of keycaps from typewriters :D

I have got a lot of the more common (and some rarer) german electric typewriters but iam open to add more & maybe have other people from other countries contribute their local stuff :)
edit: since finding out about buckling spring typewriter , iam thinking of maybe adding those to the mix :?:

guidemetothelight

17 Oct 2022, 23:39

TNT wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=27090
my best find yet. getting a custom cnc'ed case for this is my end goal someday. ;)

TNT

18 Oct 2022, 00:36

guidemetothelight wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 23:34

I have got a lot of the more common (and some rarer) german electric typewriters but iam open to add more & maybe have other people from other countries contribute their local stuff :)
I think you could directly copy the Olympia ES models from the wiki and add those to the list. All of those come with those precious Marquardt Butterfly Switches (The "orbit"-symbol is the giveaway). I once stumbled onto a model which has those but isn't included there, but I'll have to re-find what exactly that was. Speaking of Marquardt Butterflies, did you ever try those out? This recent post rekindled my interest in those
guidemetothelight wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 23:39
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=27090
my best find yet. getting a custom cnc'ed case for this is my end goal someday. ;)
Very pretty! Are those caps doubleshot? Don't know if you have seen my post about the Canon typewriter builds, but I've basically scrapped them for the caps and switches recently and moved on :oops:

Custom cases seem to be the only satisfying solution in that regard. Maybe I'm not skillful enough but hacking them up didn't lead to satisfactory results for me so far. And it's always a bit sad if the typewriter was still functional and/or in good condition. That said, I also have a very functional and maintained IBM 6715/Actionwriter 1 right next to my desk ;)

guidemetothelight

18 Oct 2022, 09:29

TNT wrote:
I think you could directly copy the Olympia ES models from the wiki and add those to the list. All of those come with those precious Marquardt Butterfly Switches (The "orbit"-symbol is the giveaway). I once stumbled onto a model which has those but isn't included there, but I'll have to re-find what exactly that was. Speaking of Marquardt Butterflies, did you ever try those out? This recent post rekindled my interest in those
Never tried out the Butterflys , but i try to keep my collection limited to some parameters, so it doesnt get completly out of hand:
Meaning Alps boards are my main thing, cherry mx style for modern custom builds and then i wanna own one of each: topre , buckling spring ("normal" and capacative), Space invaders. (also, if there isnt Ä, Ö & Ü on the board, its a pass for me)
Now that iam thinking about it , that doesnt sound limited :D

TNT wrote:
Very pretty! Are those caps doubleshot? Don't know if you have seen my post about the Canon typewriter builds, but I've basically scrapped them for the caps and switches recently and moved on :oops:

Custom cases seem to be the only satisfying solution in that regard. Maybe I'm not skillful enough but hacking them up didn't lead to satisfactory results for me so far. And it's always a bit sad if the typewriter was still functional and/or in good condition. That said, I also have a very functional and maintained IBM 6715/Actionwriter 1 right next to my desk ;)
Caps are PBT Dye Sub, very high quality and thicccc ;) Didnt see your post about Canon Writers , feel free to share it with me.
I scrapped the Typewriter , but iam planning on using at least the plate , switches and Caps , but hopefully the whole assembly.
This year´s christmas iam hoping on getting a 3D Printer, which will help me a lot in those custom case endeavours :D

Bjerrk

18 Oct 2022, 09:43

guidemetothelight wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 09:29
(also, if there isnt Ä, Ö & Ü on the board, its a pass for me)
Such a luxury position :D Being from Denmark, I'm used to typing on all sorts of ISO-esque layouts. We don't dub foreign films and TV either :P

Did you get around to "converting" the Triumph Adler SE505 by the way?

guidemetothelight

18 Oct 2022, 13:32

Bjerrk wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 09:43
Such a luxury position :D Being from Denmark, I'm used to typing on all sorts of ISO-esque layouts. We don't dub foreign films and TV either :P

Did you get around to "converting" the Triumph Adler SE505 by the way?
Hey , i know , i just had to find ways to limit my collecting madness :D
Dubs are weird anyway, oirignal language is always the best imo

Not yet sadly, but the project is not forgotten about. Just have a lot of other stuff i need to get to first.

andresteare

02 Nov 2022, 19:35

this post could be helpful, you can also go to the Deskthority wiki and filter by brand to open article of typewriters

guidemetothelight

02 Nov 2022, 20:49

andresteare wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 19:35
this post could be helpful, you can also go to the Deskthority wiki and filter by brand to open article of typewriters
thanks man , that IS awesome !

Inebriatedduck

06 Nov 2022, 16:23

Got a few things to add to the list if you want 'em:
-Royal alpha 2015 has mitsumi KAM switches with black caps & white letters. The mounts don't fit anything else sadly.
-Panasonic KxE700m has SKCC greens, also black caps with white letters. Mounts also don't fit anything but SKCC

guidemetothelight

07 Nov 2022, 08:01

Inebriatedduck wrote:
-Royal alpha 2015 has mitsumi KAM switches with black caps & white letters. The mounts don't fit anything else sadly.
-Panasonic KxE700m has SKCC greens, also black caps with white letters. Mounts also don't fit anything but SKCC
Thank you very much ! The problem is, that i dont wanna add typewriter´s to the list that dont have pictures with a keycap taken off.

Do you have pics of those typewriters by any chance ? :)

guidemetothelight

07 Nov 2022, 16:34

Added about 10 new Typewriter Models and marked the (probably) topre compatible ones :)

Lalaland124

07 Nov 2022, 19:21

Things like this make me want to archive the entire DT forum. Kinda incredibly how much effort this community undergoes to preserve/rediscover all of this stuff :)

zrrion

07 Nov 2022, 19:51

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23173
feel free to swipe pics/info from this thread if you want, as well as any other threads I've made

guidemetothelight

08 Nov 2022, 10:02

zrrion wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 19:51
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23173
feel free to swipe pics/info from this thread if you want, as well as any other threads I've made
thanks , awesome resource !

guidemetothelight

08 Nov 2022, 10:04

Lalaland124 wrote:
Things like this make me want to archive the entire DT forum. Kinda incredibly how much effort this community undergoes to preserve/rediscover all of this stuff :)
And kind comments like yours makes me wanna continue with this :) thanks !
Anybody got an idea of what that switch could be ? wiki/Marquardt_Butterfly ? :?:
index.jpg
index.jpg (71.74 KiB) Viewed 3271 times

inozenz

08 Nov 2022, 14:54

guidemetothelight wrote:
08 Nov 2022, 10:04
Lalaland124 wrote:
And kind comments like yours makes me wanna continue with this :) thanks !
Anybody got an idea of what that switch could be ? wiki/Marquardt_Butterfly ? :?:
index.jpg
looks different to the buitterfly switch

wiki/Marquardt_Two_Fingers_Typewriter_switch i think its this one

guidemetothelight

08 Nov 2022, 14:55

inozenz wrote:
08 Nov 2022, 14:54
looks different to the buitterfly switch
wiki/Marquardt_Two_Fingers_Typewriter_switch i think its this one
YES thats it

Inebriatedduck

10 Nov 2022, 02:20

guidemetothelight wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 08:01
Inebriatedduck wrote:
Thank you very much ! The problem is, that i dont wanna add typewriter´s to the list that dont have pictures with a keycap taken off.

Do you have pics of those typewriters by any chance ? :)
Yep, I'll send em over to you when I have time (hopefully soon)

guidemetothelight

12 Nov 2022, 22:29

Inebriatedduck wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 02:20
Yep, I'll send em over to you when I have time (hopefully soon)
Thank you very much ! :)

guidemetothelight

17 Nov 2022, 18:20

- added new types, purchased a cool sharp typewriter and added a c̶o̶f̶f̶e̶e̶ keyboard money donation link :)

Return to “Keyboards”