Addressing the Poker/Pure delete key

didja

06 Jun 2012, 21:47

Has anyone come up with a creative way to delete on the Poker/Pure keyboards?
I must delete more than the average user because there is no way in hades I would have designed a board with Delete on a second layer. A key combo to delete is bad enough but shift+FN+del to bypass recycle bin is even more annoying.
The second biggest annoyance on this board is the Esc key which should have had Esc as the primary and tilde on the 2nd layer IMHO.

I'm currently experimenting with tilde remapped to delete (and of course capslock remapped to Ctrl)

Anyone else delete as much as I do?

gr0undzer0

07 Jun 2012, 04:41

Can't you switch the default key on the esc? to esc?

gr0undzer0

07 Jun 2012, 04:47

err.. the default key on ~ you can lock to esc.

didja

07 Jun 2012, 04:51

Actually you're right. I just found WW's post: "ESC key problems I need my escape key, but by default this is the ` key on the Poker and Fn + ` is ESC. You can toggle that with Fn + Q, so by default it becomes ESC, and Fn + ESC becomes `."

Though on my keyboard it's ~ instead of `. Probably a revision since his was an early one.

Interestingly, I'm finding that using the ~ key remapped to delete via sharpkeys/registry hack and Fn+key for Esc is working quite well.

JBert

07 Jun 2012, 08:52

Wait, are you sure you get a tilde or backquote when pressing Fn + ESC in "ESC lock" mode on the Poker?

From Sixty's review thread for the preview batch of the Poker:
webwit wrote:
sixty wrote:The combiniation FN+Q activates the second lock mode: “ESC lock”. This mode simply lets you swap ESC with tilde. When the lock is enabled, the tilde key will act as ESC by default, when disabled it will act as tilde by default. Whichever mode you prefer, the other option will always remain available through the FN key.

Example with “ESC lock” on:
Tilde key = ESC, FN+Tilde key = Tilde

Example with “ESC lock” off:
Tilde key = Tilde, FN+Tilde key = ESC
Except that, with ESC lock on, FN + Tilde key also gives me ESC.
If it behaves differently now, that means they fixed that annoying bug.
Last edited by JBert on 07 Jun 2012, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.

gorkypl

07 Jun 2012, 10:49

Also why are you talking about Pure? I think that your problems are valid only with Poker...

Pure has Esc on the first layer and can have Del instead of Backspace by default.

TheSoulhunter

07 Jun 2012, 13:17

I remapped CapsLock to Del...

didja

08 Jun 2012, 05:54

gorkypl wrote:Also why are you talking about Pure? I think that your problems are valid only with Poker...

Pure has Esc on the first layer and can have Del instead of Backspace by default.
I typo too often to have back space or delete on a second layer, that's why the HHKB never worked for me personally.
I think I've found the solution and it's mapping tilde to delete and Esc on the 2nd layer. Pretty happy with it to the point I might buy another poker/pure.

Izza
Lurker Prime

08 Jun 2012, 06:52

I just set L_Win to Fn. It's close enough to Z that I don't notice any inconvenience. Losing tilde would drive me nuts, though.

didja

08 Jun 2012, 09:05

I don't work at a linux cli as often as I used to, especially since VMware basically lost it's underlying cli. But since doing the remapping I have missed having tilde, just not as much as delete :) Might change it up and put tilde elsewhere.

didja

08 Jun 2012, 09:07

TheSoulhunter wrote:I remapped CapsLock to Del...
Honestly doing capslock as ctrl is the best thing I've ever done to a keyboard. The problem is that I use it so heavily that I look like an imbecile when I get on a regular keyboard in front of someone and keep hitting capslock instead of control.

Return to “Keyboards”