What if Buckling Springs were made into an MX form?

JCMax

08 Jan 2023, 04:39

You know, like how Input Club wanted to make the Beam-springs into one with the Silo switches? Or how Alps were made into one with the Clickez?

I wonder if it could be possible to replicate something like the Model F or Model M feel in that? 🤔
I think It would be soooooo cool! It might even be more feasible for production than the Silos were. Although I still have hope for the Silos one day...😭

Delta Research

08 Jan 2023, 05:48

I'd say it would be incredibly difficult to cram it into an MX-sized package, since the spring itself is already much longer than the switch. However, I'm not thinking too deeply on this and it might be possible.

inmbolmie

08 Jan 2023, 13:20

In the case of Buckling Springs as I see it the key factor is low complexity. That is you just have the key, barrel, spring and flipper. Putting that into a MX package will involve more parts and complexity (and possibly losing dust resistance) and I don't see it worth the hassle.

Muirium
µ

08 Jan 2023, 16:42

If it sold, though…

Remember that silo modules aren’t switches. As I recall, they’re a tactile mechanism that sits on top of an external sensor. Just like buckling spring! But not at all like MX.

To cram a buckling spring and a sense mechanism (even a reed switch) into a dinky little MX sized module: now there’s a technical challenge.

Findecanor

08 Jan 2023, 16:53

What is "MX form"? Form factor of the switch? MX keycaps? Compatibility with PCBs? ...with plates?

I think a Model M switch module that is pin-compatible with Cherry MX PCBs could be possible, unless the flipper extends too much outside the switch's area. It would need IBM/Unicomp keycaps and still be tall. Even taller with MX keycap-compatibility.
The biggest benefit IMHO would be for ergo keyboards for which there are PCBs with many different layouts.

Muirium
µ

08 Jan 2023, 18:02

Whenever this topic comes up, I argue for "MX compatible" in the total sense: PCB, plate and caps. That's exactly what anyone hearing about such a thing will expect: the full drop-in replacement which could sell in non-trivial numbers, as Gateron is doing with great success.

Very hard to achieve, I know, but it's the big one.

JCMax

08 Jan 2023, 18:14

Findecanor wrote:
What is "MX form"? Form factor of the switch? MX keycaps? Compatibility with PCBs? ...with plates?
All of the above.
Muirium wrote:
08 Jan 2023, 16:42
Remember that silo modules aren’t switches. As I recall, they’re a tactile mechanism that sits on top of an external sensor. Just like buckling spring! But not at all like MX.

To cram a buckling spring and a sense mechanism (even a reed switch) into a dinky little MX sized module: now there’s a technical challenge.
So, if possible it would actually be a module sitting on top of a sensor. I am still pretty new to a lot of keyboard hardware, but if it went that route, that would also affect the types of PCBs it could be used with? It couldn't be compatible with just any pcb you could just buy?
Findecanor wrote:
It would need IBM/Unicomp keycaps and still be tall. Even taller with MX keycap-compatibility.
The biggest benefit IMHO would be for ergo keyboards for which there are PCBs with many different layouts.
Hey, I wouldn't mind that. There were some pics with the Keystone tactile switches where, I swear, they look a bit wider and taller than traditional MX switches. Which would suite me just fine! ;)
inmbolmie wrote:
08 Jan 2023, 13:20
In the case of Buckling Springs as I see it the key factor is low complexity. That is you just have the key, barrel, spring and flipper. Putting that into a MX package will involve more parts and complexity (and possibly losing dust resistance) and I don't see it worth the hassle.
What I was thinking was something that looked just like an MX on the outside with the same housing and the same slider (think Silos), but inside the slider has a forked stem where the mini BS-spring could be positioned. It would work just like with a BS and an IBM/Unicomp keycap mechanism on the inside. MX on the outside, but buckling spring on the inside (miniaturized of course. :lol:).

Muirium
µ

08 Jan 2023, 20:13

JCMax wrote:
08 Jan 2023, 18:14
So, if possible it would actually be a module sitting on top of a sensor. I am still pretty new to a lot of keyboard hardware, but if it went that route, that would also affect the types of PCBs it could be used with? It couldn't be compatible with just any pcb you could just buy?
Yes. It categorically would *not* work with any MX PCB at all.

Silos are only compatible with that one keyboard they were designed for. Same for IBM buckling springs. They are both unusual because they aren’t intrinsic, modular switches at all. You can’t just drop them into a regular keyboard PCB.

That’s why I argue for full switch modules when ideas like this come up. Partial solutions are too awkward and specific to get any traction. Behold the silo’s fate.

Return to “Keyboards”