Today's arrival: Matias Laptop Pro for Mac

apastuszak

16 Feb 2023, 02:29

eBay seller seems to have a pile of these, new-in-box, for $70. I couldn't resist.

It uses Matias Quiet Click switches and claims it lasts up to a year on a single charge.

So far I am pretty happy with it. It really is a quiet keyboard.

thefarside

16 Feb 2023, 03:35

Very nice! That price is $100 off new and I also got one.

Maledicted

16 Feb 2023, 06:22

Nice. Great boards. They don't even have huge batteries in them either. I wish they still made the secure pro.

apastuszak

16 Feb 2023, 15:30

Maledicted wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 06:22
Nice. Great boards. They don't even have huge batteries in them either. I wish they still made the secure pro.
That's what I was thinking. I have a Keychron keyboard with a bigger battery and that only lasts a couple of weeks.

QMK must not be very power efficient.

So far, all these Matias keyboards really impress me.

apastuszak

16 Feb 2023, 15:32

thefarside wrote:
Hard not to get one at that price. This will be my going into the office board, since it's so quiet.

I used to have a Model M at my desk and no one ever complained. People used to use my desk when I wasn't in just to use the keyboard. But if I have a quiet board I really like, there is no reason not to bring that in.

Maledicted

17 Feb 2023, 07:26

apastuszak wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 15:32
thefarside wrote:
Hard not to get one at that price. This will be my going into the office board, since it's so quiet.

I used to have a Model M at my desk and no one ever complained. People used to use my desk when I wasn't in just to use the keyboard. But if I have a quiet board I really like, there is no reason not to bring that in.
Model M is pretty muted by that plastic barrel plate. I have asked a lot of people about their preferences for sound when I would use various clicky boards in crowded schools. Very few people liked the sound of MX blue, the lower-pitched and/or muted clickies people were pretty much universally indifferent about or actually loved hearing it in the background. There was one kid that didn't like my Models F. Everyone liked complicated Alps.

apastuszak

17 Feb 2023, 18:17

In my experience, the people that tend to complain the most about keyboard sounds in the office, are the people that make a ton of noise themselves. They take conference calls on speaker phone and have a loud booming voice. Or they'll wear a cordless headset and walk around while talking.

My old boss used to use whatever rubber dome keyboard work provided, and he would slam those keys so loud, it sounded like he was typing on a Model F sometimes. He ended up buying a Logitech keyboard with Roamer G switches and that actually made his typing quieter.

thefarside

08 Mar 2023, 04:14

I received mine and it’s NIB quality. It’s nice and does sound as loud as a rubber dome. the switches have sharp tactility and aren’t as smooth as my orange or dampened white alps, but still feel nice.
F0BE220B-DF0D-48BE-9855-E413D5B1EFBC.jpeg
F0BE220B-DF0D-48BE-9855-E413D5B1EFBC.jpeg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 1642 times

Maledicted

08 Mar 2023, 07:11

Nice. Welcome to the Matias club. I love their mini boards. Interesting that you find their dampened tactiles to be as loud as rubber domes. There are some really loud dome boards. I know just the clack on my 55g 87u is a lot louder.

I wish the PC-based boards still had as wide a range as the Mac ones, I think the keymap is just perfect on them. I don't know of any way to change it on the bluetooth boards since they have different controllers.

Return to “Keyboards”