How to get glitter glue off of a keycap.

CaesarAZealad

19 Feb 2023, 01:19

Ladies, Gents, Enbies, I have a problem.
Bought an AEK with oranges, as it's basically my dream vintage board, in in the process of cleaning it up and prepping for a wax mod i noticed something foul.
The previous owner had slathered the power button in glitter glue, or god forbid, glittery nail polish.
Any way I can get this off, or should I start looking for an alps artisan to replace it *shudders*

Findecanor

19 Feb 2023, 12:13

AEK keys are of PBT plastic, so it should be able to stand up to most solvents that you throw at it: acetone, nail polish remover, white spirit/turpentine, alcohol.

I would try first with turpentine and then wipe that off with alcohol. If that does not work: acetone or nail polish remover. ("Nail polish remover" is often acetone or ehtyl-acetate, or mix or something)

CaesarAZealad

19 Feb 2023, 19:41

Findecanor wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 12:13
AEK keys are of PBT plastic, so it should be able to stand up to most solvents that you throw at it: acetone, nail polish remover, white spirit/turpentine, alcohol.

I would try first with turpentine and then wipe that off with alcohol. If that does not work: acetone or nail polish remover. ("Nail polish remover" is often acetone or ehtyl-acetate, or mix or something)
Tried this last night, let it soak in a alcohol bath overnight. Took some scraping but eventually got all of it off. Much appreciated!

Return to “Keyboards”