Open source project: Mod Mmm PCB for Model M

dcpedit

18 Apr 2023, 18:39

Hello everyone, this is my first post! Just wanted to let you folks know that I've published a new project which essentially swaps out the Model M's internals with a PCB:

https://github.com/dcpedit/mod-mmm

Here's a quick list of features:
  • Hotswap sockets for MX switches
  • Multiple layout support, including ISO, split spacebar, and 4x5 numpad. KLE link
  • PCB mount stabalizers
  • Under-switch LED for caps, scroll, and num lock
  • Supports up to 3 rotary encoders
  • Piezo buzzer
  • Solenoid
  • USB-C support via the STM32F411 Blackpill dev board. Possibility of upgrading to the Bluetooth PillBug.
  • Vial firmware
And some development notes for those who are interested

PCB curvature:  The curvature radius of the Model M's steel backplate is about 10.9 inches.  Flexible PCBs are super expensive, so for this prototype I opted for thinner FR4.  The risk is that traces/pads could break, and components can become damaged due to the stress placed on the board.  Converting all the components to through-hole might help mitigate this issue, and hopefully the large radius of the curve will cause less stress.
FR4 thickness:  Too thick, and it will be difficult to bend.  But too thin, and the hotswap sockets and stabilizers won't fit well.  I felt 1mm was a good compromise.
MCU board: I settled on the SMT32F114 Blackpill since it has the most usable pins in a form factor that fit on the daughterboard (I used EVERY SINGLE pin).  I was hoping that once the PillBug from MechWild came out, it could easily be converted to wireless.
Stabalizers:  I was worried that the curvature of the PCB would not work with PCB mount stabs.  I made the mount holes a tad bigger in the vertical direction to give them some more wiggle room, and it seems to work OK.
Hot swap sockets:  It was easier to test things during development with hot swap, but the sockets themselves did not provide enough holding power to keep the switches stable (at least with 3 pin switches).  I decided to design a plate for this iteration, which in turn also required plate foam.  Converting the switch sockets to solder-only could allow for more stable plateless builds.

I also posted this on reddit

mmm

18 Apr 2023, 20:08

Very cool project!

Despite the slight similarity in names, I have nothing to do with this! :D

uimiky

16 May 2023, 11:08

mmm wrote:
Very cool project!

Frankly, I'm stalking you for you. :lol:

uimiky

17 May 2023, 05:10

uimiky wrote:
mmm wrote:
Very cool project!

trap the cat
I wanna be a friend with ya. Can you? :roll:

mmm

17 May 2023, 16:57

uimiky wrote:
uimiky wrote:
mmm wrote:
Very cool project!

No, I don't want to be friends who hides advertising-links in the quotes :cry:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

17 May 2023, 18:00

mmm wrote:
17 May 2023, 16:57
uimiky wrote:
uimiky wrote:

No, I don't want to be friends who hides advertising-links in the quotes :cry:
Well seen, thanks :lol:

mmm

17 May 2023, 19:34

I was very motivated to find a hidden link, as otherwise these messages would be too uncanny

Muirium
µ

17 May 2023, 20:59

Account is obviously our lonely spammer. Just look at all the loving detail they put into their profile. :roll:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

18 May 2023, 07:51

Muirium wrote:
17 May 2023, 20:59
Account is obviously our lonely spammer. Just look at all the loving detail they put into their profile. :roll:
Just a note for the spammer: new accounts are on my daily watch anyway - this time I failed to detect the hidden link because it was so well hidden, but (i) mmm found and reported it and (ii) even because it was so well hidden, virtually nobody would have found it, so what's the use?

Perhaps you should ask yourself if it is really worth all the effort :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

18 May 2023, 11:33

It’s not personal, baby, it’s business.

Return to “Keyboards”