KSCM Blue in keyboard with Windows keys

apastuszak

03 May 2023, 21:36

I'm reading the SKCM Blue article and going through the list of keyboard on the bottom of the wiki.

Can someone save me a lot of clicks and Googling and tell me if there is a keyboard that uses SKCM Blue switches and has Windows/Super keys?

TNT

03 May 2023, 22:01

I know some layouts have keys there, like Asian 102, in which some boards with Alps Blue exist (Like the VTCL F810, the Monterey K102 and 104 ...)

As for designated Windows keys... I think Blues were faded out just around the time Windows keys became standard. For example, afaik all of the later winkey-Focus boards or Omnikeys came with white Alps instead.

Tribal

04 May 2023, 02:11

I’m not aware of any, but…do you actually use your left Alt key? I don’t. You could remap it to Windows/Super. Or get an Alps board with a key in that space (Omnikey, M104, AT101, AEK), map it to Windows/Super, and transplant in blue Alps.

Polecat

04 May 2023, 02:50

Nope, the change from blue to white was in mid-1989 and Windows keys didn't come into being until mid-1995 when Windows 95 came out. By then Alps switches were significantly degraded from what they used to be. As were keyboards in general (cases, keycaps, etc.). Which means transplanting blue Alps into just about any real Windows-key keyboard will be a disappointment. There are a few exceptions, like a Gen4 (programmable) Northgate or an Avant Prime or Avant Stellar. Those have Windows keys and can be swapped to blue Alps, but finding a set of nice keycaps for those is not a pushbutton thing (pun intended).

apastuszak

04 May 2023, 04:39

Tribal wrote:
04 May 2023, 02:11
I’m not aware of any, but…do you actually use your left Alt key? I don’t. You could remap it to Windows/Super. Or get an Alps board with a key in that space (Omnikey, M104, AT101, AEK), map it to Windows/Super, and transplant in blue Alps.
I'm on a Mac. The Alt key is the option key. I use it quite a bit.

apastuszak

04 May 2023, 04:50

I guess I could always use a Soarer's Converter and map Control to Caps Lock, map alt to control, and map Windows to Alt.

Now I just need to find an SKCM Blue board at a reasonable price.

Polecat

04 May 2023, 05:16

apastuszak wrote:
I guess I could always use a Soarer's Converter and map Control to Caps Lock, map alt to control, and map Windows to Alt.

Didn't you just say you're on a Mac?

I've never used Windows keys myself. Can't miss what I never had.

apastuszak

04 May 2023, 16:11

Polecat wrote:
04 May 2023, 05:16
apastuszak wrote:

Didn't you just say you're on a Mac?

I've never used Windows keys myself. Can't miss what I never had.
Yes, I am on a Mac. The Mac is 3 modifier keys: Shift., Option and Command. Shift maps to shift on a Windows keyboard. Alt maps to Option and Windows maps to Command.

Mac keyboards have always had an extra key.

fohat
Elder Messenger

04 May 2023, 16:28

Polecat wrote:
04 May 2023, 02:50

Which means transplanting blue Alps into just about any real Windows-key keyboard will be a disappointment.
Dell AT-101W is a very nice chassis and is even available in black.
Its larger footprint puts some people off, but it has a good solid sound and feel.

Polecat

04 May 2023, 17:25

apastuszak wrote:
04 May 2023, 16:11

Yes, I am on a Mac. The Mac is 3 modifier keys: Shift., Option and Command. Shift maps to shift on a Windows keyboard. Alt maps to Option and Windows maps to Command.

Mac keyboards have always had an extra key.
I used a Mac Mini for a while, and I never remapped anything. I need to double check, but I believe Ctrl mapped to Command on the Mini when the OS asked you to push certain keys to identify the keyboard. That was using a Radio Shack USB dongle adapter and later a Soarers, so perhaps some remapping was done by the Mac OS?
Last edited by Polecat on 04 May 2023, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

Polecat

04 May 2023, 17:31

fohat wrote:
04 May 2023, 16:28

Dell AT-101W is a very nice chassis and is even available in black.
Its larger footprint puts some people off, but it has a good solid sound and feel.
I have a "black" (actually dark blue-gray) AT-101W, which I used as a partial cap donor for my Multitech KB-101A. The Dell keycaps were very soft, not double shot, and did not hold up well at all. But the Dell chassis is absolutely a good one. Likewise with the Monterey K104W. Windows keys, big, heavy Alps-clone chassis and plate, but crappy lasered keycaps.

TNT

04 May 2023, 18:18

Honestly, if it's just about having any key there instead of an empty space, I too recommend you to just get a decent Alps chassis of your liking and transplant in some blues.

The Omnikeys were already mentioned a bunch. Great caps, built like tanks, but not very roomy. So if you're looking to amplify the sound for your own enjoyment or to make your boss even more livid on those conference calls you told us about, there are better options ;)

I want to throw in the Focus FK 2001, 3001 and 5001s. Those are lovely boards! Not necessarily by build quality, moreso by their overall design (dust cover, integrated calculators, need I say more?). Those are also a great source for doubleshot Alps-compatible caps.

apastuszak

05 May 2023, 00:41

TNT wrote:
04 May 2023, 18:18
So if you're looking to amplify the sound for your own enjoyment or to make your boss even more livid on those conference calls you told us about, there are better options ;)
I solved that problem! Seems when I was on that call, Webex decided to use the mic in my webcam instead of the mic in my headset. But it used the headphone of my headset for sound. The mic on the webcam has no noise cancelling.

So, it's time to bring on the Beamspring with solenoid!

TNT

05 May 2023, 01:17

Great to hear that! Always good when things sort themselves out like this

Return to “Keyboards”