Apple Extended Keyboard II cable and slide out foot question

apastuszak

06 May 2023, 04:07

I find the Apple-supplied cable for my AEK II to be a tad unwieldy.

I have a hole in my desk with a grommet in it right above my mouse mat in the center of my desk. This lets me run the cables for my keyboard and trackball under my desk and not have cables snaking across my desk.

Since you can replace the Apple cable with a standard s-video cable, I went that route. My son found me a black S-video cable at a local thrift store for $1.00 and I had been using that. But with the cable running out of the side of the keyboard, along the back of the keyboard and into the hole, it was putting more strain on the cable than I liked.

A few days ago I found these online:

An angled s-video cable. Exactly what I was looking for.

And, as you can probably guess, the slide out foot on this keyboard no longer slides out. That's why you see the rubber feet on the keyboard. I have another AEK II where the slide works. But the foot really only offers support at the center of the keyboard. If I slide the foot out and press on the upper right and upper left corners, the keyboard pushes down a little. Since I am a pretty heavy typist this causes the keyboard to wobble when I hit some keys on the left and right side of the keyboard.

So my questions:

1. How hard is it to fix the slide out foot on these keyboards?

2. Should the keyboard foot provide support from heavy-handed typing across the entire length of the keyboard or is common for the corners put give a little when you push on them?

Muirium
µ

06 May 2023, 11:22

Your questions are independent of the alternate cable you're using, right? You have the same issues even without a cable connected?

As for those slide out foot/rails on the AEK II: I seriously do not like them. Fortunately for me, I never extend feet on keyboards for typing (only curiosity) so I've never noticed what an AEK II is like for stability while hoisted up. It's really quite a chintzy, flimsy keyboard (for its reputation) so your issues don't surprise me. You're probably doing the right thing by going for a workaround for that inherently dubious foot.

Tribal

06 May 2023, 14:53

Where did you find the right-angle S-video cable? I wanted to do something similar but have heard that some S-video cables aren’t actually compatible.

apastuszak

06 May 2023, 15:02

Tribal wrote:
06 May 2023, 14:53
Where did you find the right-angle S-video cable? I wanted to do something similar but have heard that some S-video cables aren’t actually compatible.
I got the cables here:

https://www.svideo.com/sv3.html

You need to email the site. He only has a small number of Type A cables left, which is the one that faces backwards when connected to the side of the AEK II. The cable was $11.95 + shipping.

Some s-video cables have a common ground, instead of two separate grounds. Those cables will not work and might damage your keyboard. I checked this cable with a multimeter when I got it.

I read a thread on some forum that said S-Video cables are actually better quality than Apple's cable. If you use an ADB cable on a DVD player or VCR, the picture has a lot of static and other issues. I guess the tolerances and shielding needed are higher for carrying a video signal than it is for a keyboard.

I wish the cable color matched the keyboard. But that's not going to happen in 2023.

apastuszak

06 May 2023, 15:12

Muirium wrote:
06 May 2023, 11:22
Your questions are independent of the alternate cable you're using, right? You have the same issues even without a cable connected?

As for those slide out foot/rails on the AEK II: I seriously do not like them. Fortunately for me, I never extend feet on keyboards for typing (only curiosity) so I've never noticed what an AEK II is like for stability while hoisted up. It's really quite a chintzy, flimsy keyboard (for its reputation) so your issues don't surprise me. You're probably doing the right thing by going for a workaround for that inherently dubious foot.
Yes, it is independent of the cable. The cable works flawlessly.

I think the AEK II is a pretty robust keyboard. The keycaps are nice and thick. It had a decent helf to it.

I absolutely love the daisy chaining of ADB. Plugging the mouse into the keyboard was genius. And the same port for both mouse and keyboard? I wish PS/2 could do that.

The only thing I think is "iffy" is the slide out foot. I like the idea behind it. Most flip-out feet only give you two settings, open or closed. This one lets you adjust to multiple heights.

Of course, Apple could afford to go all fancy with keyboards and charge what they did, because the computer that you hooked them up to cost $5,000-$10,000. According to the inflation calculator, an AEK II cost $363 in today's money.

Can you imagine if they tried to sell a new keyboard like this today? The averafe 2023 keyboard enthuisiast would immediatley complain that it's WAY too big. They should have made it a TKL, and even that might have been too big.

Return to “Keyboards”