NOS Leading Edge DC-2014

LambdaCore

13 May 2023, 02:04

As a lover of the XT layout, I think I just hit my holy grail of clicky switches… a NOS DC-2014!

Polecat

13 May 2023, 02:32

Nice. That was my very first Alps keyboard, 30-some years ago, after trying to buy a Northgate at a local computer store. The Northgate didn't happen, even though I had cash in hand ($69, marked down from $99) because the guy couldn't get the receipt printer to work. I used the Leading Edge until I upgraded to a 286. I still have the used one and an NOS one packed away someplace.

LambdaCore

13 May 2023, 10:06

Ha! I wish I could get Blue Alps for those prices now! I paid about 289 for this board, which compared to other NOS Blue Alps boards I've seen in the current day actually seemed like a pretty decent deal.

TNT

13 May 2023, 14:54

Very nice! Is the DC-2014 really the best blue Alps XT-layout board or is it the only one?

LambdaCore

13 May 2023, 20:55

I doubt it's the only XT layout blue alps, but from my research it's commonly regarded as one of the best sounding blue alps boards bar none. Obviously though, it is still up to taste

fohat
Elder Messenger

14 May 2023, 14:13

TNT wrote:
13 May 2023, 14:54
Very nice! Is the DC-2014 really the best blue Alps XT-layout board or is it the only one?
It used to be considered one of the very few keyboards that was a "sure thing" to have blue Alps.

TNT

14 May 2023, 14:17

But in regards to build quality and so on, are there better Alps XT boards (or more like chassis) out there?

LambdaCore

14 May 2023, 15:47

I'd be surprised if not, I don't know of any in the XT layout though. Any Northgate is going to have better build quality though for example.

TNT

14 May 2023, 15:52

I know of plenty PC-AT Alps boards, but the selection for XT seems to be quite narrow. In regards to sound, the DC is top tier though! At least, that's what I've heard ;)

LambdaCore

14 May 2023, 16:01

Unfortunately I'm not actually fond of the AT layout, and the list of ansi or iso boards are also rare for blue alps! So for me it's a winner. My favorite layout with fantastic switches :)

Polecat

15 May 2023, 06:05

There weren't a lot of blue Alps XT boards. SKCM switches had only been out a short time when IBM came out with the AT in 1984, and the clone makers soon followed with AT 84 key keyboards. That basically made XT keyboards obsolete--the AT protocol, not the layout. I worked for an electronics recycler and we shovelled them into the dumpster by the dozen. A couple years later the PS/2 came out. The AT keyboards would work on those, and vice versa, with just a pin adapter, but nobody wanted the 84 key layout once they had seen the extended one. Round two of shovelling. We literally couldn't give the earlier keyboards away, and they had zero recycle value once the cord was hacked off.

The Leading Edge DC-2014 keyboards were a step or two above most of the competition, and as a result many have survived. We have converters now, but many have been used as switch donors. I haven't used mine in 30-some years now. I need to dig it out and give it another chance.

Polecat

17 Jun 2023, 06:15

Here's one of the rare XT layout Alps keyboards--a Canon with green Alps switches:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295758020503

edit: added a couple photos
Attachments
canon_switches.jpg
canon_switches.jpg (324.27 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
canon.jpg
canon.jpg (307.95 KiB) Viewed 1167 times

Return to “Keyboards”