QMK/Vial for the Mini-M

apastuszak

17 Jun 2023, 05:07

So, some possible upcoming good news for QMK/VIAL on the Mini-M.

https://github.com/purdeaandrei/vial-qm ... 1592458404

This is the gentleman that ported QMK/VIAL to the New Model M with Pico controller.
Hey, just received my Mini M,
I will try to find some time in the weekend to write firmware for it.

apastuszak

19 Jun 2023, 03:19

apastuszak

19 Jun 2023, 04:21

Did some surgery on the Mini-M. I removed the old controller and installed the new Pico-based controller and flashed QMK/VIAL on it.

And it appears I damaged the keyboard.

The following keys are now dead:

9, R, \, left arrow and (maybe) scroll lock.

I flash the original firmware back on, and those keys were still dead. Then I put the original controller back in, and those keys were still dead. So, it appears that something in the ribbon connector is damaged.

Anyone have any troubleshooting tips?

Yes, I will email Unicomp. But if I could do something to fix it before they get back to me, I would appreciate it.

Muirium
µ

19 Jun 2023, 13:27

Ribbon cable damage. Continuity test it and see.

apastuszak

19 Jun 2023, 16:42

Well, here is culprit:

What's the best way to fix this?

jsheradin

19 Jun 2023, 17:09

apastuszak wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 16:42
What's the best way to fix this?
Conductive ink pens seem to work. Not sure what the longevity of the fix is though. I have a board repaired this way that's been working fine for a couple years at least.

apastuszak

19 Jun 2023, 17:18

I assume I need to scrape the plastic off till I get down to the metal trace. What's the best way to seal it back up?

jsheradin

19 Jun 2023, 17:29

The metallized trace should already be on the surface of the membrane but you might need to peel apart the layers to get to it. If it's not then indeed, just gently scrape until you reach it.

Sealing it up probably isn't necessary unless you're in a particularly humid environment. The important part is that it doesn't short out on other traces. You can just use any plastic tape (packing, Scotch, kapton, etc). If you want it to be totally environmentally sealed then you can use some silicone conformal coating or similar.

apastuszak

19 Jun 2023, 17:54

I have capton tape and that pen arriving tomorrow from Amazon. I have an evening project now.

apastuszak

21 Jun 2023, 04:06

The pen WORKED!!!

I just ran the pen up and down the trace on the side that had the damage. I let it dry for 30 min and plugged it back in and all the dead keys work now. I'm leaving it alone till tomorrow morning to completely dry. I need to update my ticket with Unicomp.

I can go to bed a happy man.

AdrianMan

28 Jun 2023, 13:11

Best happy story of my day. Nice to hear !

Return to “Keyboards”