Unicomp's new RP2040/Pico controller purchasing & flashing Vial-QMK guide

sharktastica

22 Jun 2023, 18:03

As some are probably already aware, Unicomp was forced to update its controller design this year since their previous chip of choice for USB keyboards has been discontinued and [largely] unavailable. This chip was also difficult for anyone to reprogram. Unicomp elected to embrace an RP2040 future, which has opened up opportunities to easily reprogram new Unicomp keyboards!

I've written a guide to cover what to know about the controllers and what we can now do with them! This includes some background, how to check if your existing Unicomp keyboard is compatible with them, how to get them for your existing Unicomp, and some basic Vial-QMK download and flashing steps. I've aimed this guide mostly towards first-time buyers looking to get more out of their new Unicomp keyboard, but there may be helpful info for others too.

Guide: https://sharktastica.co.uk/guides/unicomp_pico

The new controller cards are "Justify/Mike Smith" (top) for the Mini M and "Aristides" (bottom) for most of their other keyboards. In keeping with Unicomp's previous naming convention, they're named after various parts of Kentucky's racehorse legacy. They replace the Cypress based "AP1" and "Ruffian" controller cards respectively.

purdeaandrei has now ported Vial-QMK to these new cards as previously alluded to by apastuszak. The two flavours are: If there's any suggestions on how to further improve this guide, let me know!

Enjoy!

REVENGE

22 Jun 2023, 21:57

Wonderful guide Sharktastica! Just finished programming my Mini M with the Justify controller. The hardest part was prying off the retaining rings used to hold the old controller in (seriously, why on earth did Unicomp design it this way instead of using screws?).

Everything is working great so far, looking forward to trying the Mini M as my daily driver now that I can use all of the traditional KBC Poker style WASD cluster layer functions. :D

sharktastica

22 Jun 2023, 23:25

REVENGE wrote:
Wonderful guide Sharktastica! Just finished programming my Mini M with the Justify controller.
Thanks, enjoy!
REVENGE wrote:
The hardest part was prying off the retaining rings used to hold the old controller in (seriously, why on earth did Unicomp design it this way instead of using screws?).
Because at first, they were emulating IBM's OG (1st to 3rd gen) Model Ms with using plastic stalks to guide the controller card. But during testing, it was found the friction fit was insufficient. On my early prototype Mini M, you could easily lift the PCB from the outside, which was pretty annoying and told them that. Putting those things on was quick fix that mitigated that, saving them having to retool yet again or produce a new set of PCBs there and then. IMO, adding them was for the best and probably saved them a lot of early headaches (they had enough to deal with already!) I've heard later PCBs fit more snug, so I guess they've compensated for it now. Regardless, it's not like most users will change the controller themselves anyway (especially going forward when all Mini Ms have Pico controllers).

REVENGE

23 Jun 2023, 00:39

sharktastica wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 23:25
Because at first, they were emulating IBM's OG (1st to 3rd gen) Model Ms with using plastic stalks to guide the controller card. But during testing, it was found the friction fit was insufficient. On my early prototype Mini M, you could easily lift the PCB from the outside, which was pretty annoying and told them that. Putting those things on was quick fix that mitigated that, saving them having to retool yet again or produce a new set of PCBs there and then. IMO, adding them was for the best and probably saved them a lot of early headaches (they had enough to deal with already!) I've heard later PCBs fit more snug, so I guess they've compensated for it now. Regardless, it's not like most users will change the controller themselves anyway (especially going forward when all Mini Ms have Pico controllers).
I see. The Justify PCB does feel pretty snug around the posts. I'm going to 3D print a small friction fit retaining bracket that will make it easier to remove in the future.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

23 Jun 2023, 21:44

Chef’s kiss on the guide. Very clear writing and all the pictures make the instructions super clear. I’ve gotta take a page from your book next time I do a writeup like this. Big thank you to pandrew as well for making this possible.

Liberate the SSK! A chicken for every pot and a Mini M for every desk!

Muirium
µ

25 Jun 2023, 22:25

snacksthecat wrote:
23 Jun 2023, 21:44
Liberate the SSK! A chicken for every pot and a Mini M for every desk!
Steady now. Calling these SSKs is… controversial. Personally, I’m not that fussed, just so long as people are clear they are Unicomp SSKs. But don’t go winding us IBM purists up. ;)

Actually, bearing in mind Unicomp used to call a line of full-size boards of theirs “Space Saver”, I’m impressed they didn’t pull the same venerated name out of the hat for these. Mini M says all it needs to.

soyuz

26 Jun 2023, 02:07

nice guide, i love unicomp ssks.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

02 Jul 2023, 22:30

Muirium wrote:
Calling these SSKs is… controversial.
*clicks link*

oh it's you...
Muirium wrote:
Personally, I’m not that fussed
You're always fussed :lol:

Muirium
µ

03 Jul 2023, 13:52

It's three folk. One yes, one no and one HELL NO. Mine's the one with the monocle. ;)

idollar
i$

01 Aug 2023, 17:09

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your fantastic work !!!!

I have a question that you may be able to answer :)

In your "https://sharktastica.co.uk/guides/unicomp_pico" you explain that:
How to get them

As of June 2023, all consumer Unicomp keyboards except the EnduraPro (which hasn't returned to sale) ship with Aristides controller cards and all Mini Ms shipping to locations in the U.S. ship with Justify/Mike Smith controller cards. Mini Ms being shipped internationally are currently shipping with reserves of the older "AP1" controller cards, but international customers should be able to contact Unicomp before ordering to request the "new Mini M logic card with Pico" with some conditions. If you already own old Unicomp keyboards, it may be possible to upgrade them by fitting in these new controller cards yourself depending on model and era.
My Mini-M order (internal in USA) is from 02 May 2023

Do you know if they will be "New Mini M logic card with Pico" versions ?

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Íñigo

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

01 Aug 2023, 21:16

I have one of the new Mini M's and quite enjoy it. It exceeded my expectations for a Unicomp board at the very least. I have a few little gripes, but I also understand why they made most of the decisions they made (mainly color and bottom row).

I honestly didn't even consider reprogramming this as an option when I picked it up, for being a modern SSK-ish board with most of the looks of the original, it was worth the price to just snag one. That being said, it was quite easy to program (mine is from June '23 and has the Pico controller), which made it a lot more useable in my environment. Really fun little board worth picking up for folks wanting to try out buckling springs.

sharktastica

03 Aug 2023, 00:57

idollar wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 17:09
My Mini-M order (internal in USA) is from 02 May 2023

Do you know if they will be "New Mini M logic card with Pico" versions ?
If they haven't shipped it already, my understanding is that it should be. But I recommend emailing them just to be sure.

sharktastica

03 Aug 2023, 01:09

livingspeedbump wrote:
bottom row
Should note that like with their other keyboards, it's possible to configure the Mini M with a "Tsangan" style bottom row. If you're unfamiliar with it, it's simply the bottom row of a classic Model M with the blanks filled in. Unicomp calls it the "103" style for their other keyboards. Anyway, you could purchase a long spacebar and a new right Alt key from them and change it yourself. AFAIK, they'd usually use an alternate barrel plate with the current right Alt key barrel absent and there would be no problems fitting the long spacebar; but for a keyboard with that barrel, you may also need to modify the spacebar by removing a support beam on the underside that interferes with it and then it should fit fine. I've done it a few times and it never compromised the spacebar in my experience. IMO, them adding that config as a factory option for the Mini M would be a really nice touch.

Muirium
µ

03 Aug 2023, 11:28

sharktastica wrote:
03 Aug 2023, 01:09
livingspeedbump wrote:
bottom row
Should note that like with their other keyboards, it's possible to configure the Mini M with a "Tsangan" style bottom row. If you're unfamiliar with it, it's simply the bottom row of a classic Model M with the blanks filled in. Unicomp calls it the "103" style for their other keyboards.
:shock: :D

This should really be the default. I've never even seen one configured this way. THE RIGHT WAY.

feltel

22 Aug 2023, 17:36

I recently contacted Unicomp about options to get a new Mini M _with_ the Pico based controller. They told me that international Mini Ms are getting the old controller no matter what. You have to order an additional controller for a $24 fee and self-install it. Thats a pita and I ask myself whats the reason for this could be. If this is a regularity measure they should not sell the standalone controller internationally. I was thinking about buying a Mini M despite the high shipping and handling costs and the taxes which add to the total costs. Paying another $24 (plus taxes) is a bummer.

The only option is to wait till their stock on old controllers is depleted. :?

jsheradin

03 Sep 2023, 20:23

I was able to get the Unicomp Pico controller working with a 1996 Lexmark but it required a membrane swap and some 3D printed spacers. Both the pre and post 2013 Aristides firmwares didn't want to work with the old membrane. The board was in need of a deep clean and screw mod anyway so not an issue.

Controller was ordered via two $12 customization fees and specifying "Pi Pico controller card for the New Model M" in the notes field. To get the new membrane I ordered via this page and said it was for Keyboard P/N UN4944A. This order process could definitely be streamlined :roll: .

The spacers are just 3D printed cylinders with 3.2mm ID 4.3mm OD. They snugly fit over the pegs on the barrel plate and hold the membrane and PCB centered. The combo works fine with unicomp_classic_ultracl_post_2013_aristides_2862_vial.uf2 firmware.
Spoiler:
IronHrt_20230825_112019_lmc_8.4.jpg
IronHrt_20230825_112019_lmc_8.4.jpg (525.32 KiB) Viewed 26728 times
IronHrt_20230813_151131_lmc_8.4.jpg
IronHrt_20230813_151131_lmc_8.4.jpg (455.47 KiB) Viewed 26728 times
IronHrt_20230827_152147_lmc_8.4.jpg
IronHrt_20230827_152147_lmc_8.4.jpg (465.34 KiB) Viewed 26728 times
IronHrt_20230831_141821_lmc_8.4.jpg
IronHrt_20230831_141821_lmc_8.4.jpg (485.11 KiB) Viewed 26728 times

NathanA

04 Sep 2023, 00:25

I mentioned this in a Reddit thread that has gotten zero responses thus far, causing me to conclude that nobody else has yet tried this (which seems a little surprising?), buuuuuuut...

...contrary to Sharktastica's otherwise-excellent and very helpful write-up which suggests that these new "Aristides" controllers *should* essentially be drop-in replacements for any recent Unicomp models, I can get them to fit neither in a Classic from 2018, nor in an Ultra Classic from 2020. The issue is the thickness of the new Aristides PCB vs. the old Ruffian one: the Aristides is eeeeeever so slightly thicker, and it's too thick to fit between the bottom edge of the two screwhole posts and the top edge of the Numpad area of the barrel plate (above which the controller is supposed to sit)! So irritating!!

I can only conclude that they must have made this gap SLIGHTLY wider in the barrel plates they have been manufacturing ever since bringing the New Model M to the market. Either that, or I suppose they didn't even modify the barrel plate then, but did so only after the new controller was ready and shipping (in which case anybody trying to replace their old controller in New Model Ms that shipped prior to this year will still face the same problem)! I can think of no other explanation.

But the question that I have is: WHYYYYYY.

I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I think I'm going to be forced to file down either the bottom edges of the screw posts, or the bottom edge of the new controller's PCB right around the two screw holes. I'm somewhat nervous to do the latter, though, since I don't want to accidentally nick/cut into the ground plane...

*mumble-mumble*

jsheradin

04 Sep 2023, 01:16

The PCBs are thicker but they still fit. I also installed one in my 2014 GE Medical Unicomp. You just need to use a worrying amount of force and come in from the right angle.
Spoiler:

NathanA

04 Sep 2023, 01:40

jsheradin wrote:
The PCBs are thicker but they still fit. I also installed one in my 2014 GE Medical Unicomp. You just need to use a worrying amount of force and come in from the right angle.
I mean...I guess I can try yet again? But I've already tried a handful of times, and yes also changing up the angle of approach. I have even tried approaching the screw posts from the side, by sticking a corner of the PCB in between them and then sliding it over to the left or right. Nothing doing.

sharktastica

10 Sep 2023, 01:09

jsheradin wrote:
This was my experience as well. They fit, but something seems tighter. I tried 3 Unicomps (a 2019 Classic, a 2019 Ultra Classic and a 2020 New M) and it fitted them all.
NathanA wrote:
04 Sep 2023, 00:25
I can only conclude that they must have made this gap SLIGHTLY wider in the barrel plates they have been manufacturing ever since bringing the New Model M to the market. Either that, or I suppose they didn't even modify the barrel plate then, but did so only after the new controller was ready and shipping (in which case anybody trying to replace their old controller in New Model Ms that shipped prior to this year will still face the same problem)! I can think of no other explanation.
The New M used to use the same Ruffian controller as all their previous USB keyboards. Looking at this photo of an opened Ultra Classic and New M side by side (and when I looked IRL), the barrel plate appears to be the same. Only the metal backplate is different between those two (and the Classic). I don't see why they'd make new barrel plate moulds to suit a new controller when they could make a controller to suit the existing moulds. And whilst the fit is worryingly tight, I was able to fit the new controllers. It's unfortunate it's different (I'm guessing they used different PCB manufacturers with differing tolerances because IMO the difference wasn't immediately obvious to me), but one thing I found that made mounting easier was that on my 2019 Ultra Classic, I inserted the PCB into the barrel plate and got one of the screw holes lined up (the one closest to the keyboard edge seems to go in easier), pushed the PCB down and then just started screwing whilst holding the PCB. Eventually, the right side aligned and the fit seems to be successful since I'm typing on this "Aristides'd" Ultra Classic right now!

The guide is due a few updates, so I will include references to your experience (and a link to this thread) to help make future readers aware of the difficulties. The other planned changes include:
  • A section on how to identify if your recently made Unicomp keyboard has the new or old controller inside without having to open the keyboard (i.e., using USBDeview on Windows or lsusb on Linux)
  • Updated info on new Mini M controller not shipping worldwide
  • More info on ordering the new controllers separately from Unicomp
Thanks to feltel and jsheradin for your posts that helped me with updating the latter two points, I'll be sure to reference both of your posts when the update goes live.

NathanA

10 Sep 2023, 01:28

sharktastica wrote:
jsheradin wrote:
This was my experience as well. They fit, but something seems tighter. I tried 3 Unicomps (a 2019 Classic, a 2019 Ultra Classic and a 2020 New M) and it fitted them all.

[...] one thing I found that made mounting easier was that on my 2019 Ultra Classic, I inserted the PCB into the barrel plate and got one of the screw holes lined up (the one closest to the keyboard edge seems to go in easier), pushed the PCB down and then just started screwing whilst holding the PCB. Eventually, the right side aligned and the fit seems to be successful since I'm typing on this "Aristides'd" Ultra Classic right now!
I was eventually able to get one of my Aristides controllers into my Classic from 2018. But it was **NOT** easy. I just kept ramming the new controller PCB into each screw post on either side multiple times until it would manage to wedge itself in. In the end, I was actually left with multiple small black plastic shavings that were quite obviously sheared off of the bottom edges of the screw posts.

And even then, the fit was FAR from perfect. Unlike the outgoing Ruffian controller, I never was able to quite make it feel like the Aristides controller's two bottom holes were sitting perfectly "flat" on top of the two screw posts. Like you, I ended up just forcing the screws into the posts and tightening them down as hard as I could. This caused the controller to tilt back some, but it still sticks up at a slightly greater angle than the original controller, and thus the LEDs are uncomfortably bumping into the lock light cut-outs at the top of the chassis. Because of this, when closing the case, that right side would NOT lay flat naturally. I had to hold it down to screw the darn thing shut from the back with the hex screws.

The keyboard works perfectly fine and all keys register, so there is good contact being made between the membrane pads and the pads on the back of the controller. But the actual fit of the new controller inside the case is terrible.

I would love to actually see a full-size Unicomp board in person that was fitted with an Aristides controller from the factory, because I just can't believe that the fit is this naturally bad for all of them; if it is then the guys on the factory floor assembling these things must be going nuts. Or maybe the plastic molding for the barrel plate on my 2018 Classic is just slightly outside of expected tolerances, or something.

I'm going to try my 2020 Ultra Classic next, but the last time I tried, it was JUST as resistant to having the Aristides installed into it as my 2018 Classic was, so I expect it's going to be a very similar story. Perhaps I will pre-empt the hard part by taking a knife blade and scraping away some of the plastic on the bottom of the two screw posts before trying to force it in...
sharktastica wrote:
(I'm guessing they used different PCB manufacturers with differing tolerances because IMO the difference wasn't immediately obvious to me)
I'm wondering if the new controller PCB has more layers than the old one does, which would have necessitated an increase in thickness? Either that, or they just plain messed up on the order & ordered the wrong thickness.

I also halfway wonder if they made an initial order with the wrong thickness, discovered the issue, and this has been corrected on future batches. And they might possibly be using thinner boards on their own production line by this point. But they perhaps still have older stock from their initial order kicking around, and are fulfilling the orders they're getting from their own customers for loose controller boards from that stock... :|

sharktastica

11 Sep 2023, 22:04

Updates are live! Changes:
  • "How to get them" has been split so it's no longer a massive text wall. Two "Compatibility with..." sections and the "Can I make my incompatible keyboard compatible?" section were formed from it.
  • Created "How do I find out if new Unicomp already has one?" section to explain how you can find out what controller your new Unicomp has without opening it.
  • Created "How to fit them" section to explain what, in my opinion, is the best way to fit both the new controllers to their keyboards. This was in response to concerns (e.g., nathanA's) that the Aristides is too thick to fit existing Unicomp keyboards.
  • Updated info in "How to get them" with feltel's experience asking about whether their Mini M would ship internationally with the new controller, and reflecting jsheradin's experience in ordering an Aristides.
  • Updated info in "Can I make my incompatible keyboard compatible?" section reflecting jsheradin's experience with modifying a 1996 Lexmark-made Model M to fit Aristides.

feltel

13 Sep 2023, 07:32

I contacted Unicomp after their initial response again and they told me that the problem selling the boards internationally lies within import complications. So this is a regulatory issue as I thought.

apastuszak

03 Oct 2023, 17:53

I bought a RPI2040 based controller for my Mini-M. Removing the old board was a huge PITA and I damaged the ribbon connector. But I fixed everything and got it working.

Thank God the QNK firmware for it includes VIAL and not VIA.

For the new Model M, I went a different route. I ordered a PS/2 controller and cable, converted it, and use it with a Soarer's Converter. I find the Soarer's Converter to be more powerful than QMK/VIAL.

According to email exchanges I had with Unicomp, they "support" people putting QMK/VIAL on their keyboards. By support, I think they mean, they won't void your warranty because you put QMK/VIAL on your keyboard.

I find Unicomp a great company to deal with.

Return to “Keyboards”