Epson SKCL Brown Keyboard

hipower8-32

13 Jul 2023, 02:00

Hello everyone,

I recently found an Epson AP1003a with Alps SKCL Brown and likely an amber alps spacebar. Not exactly in new condition, but switches are quite smooth for the condition that the board is in.

hipower8-32

14 Jul 2023, 03:12

Update: I tried connecting it to my PC using a DIN to PS/2 and PS/2 to USB setup, but it did not work, only random codes and inputs were put in. Does anyone know if the board is XT class or if it uses a weird protocol? The lock lights light up when I press the Caps Lock or Num Lock key, but this is not registered by my computer. Also, this keyboard lacks a SysRq key, leading me to further suspect that this is XT class. I will try to do some of my own research.

TNT

14 Jul 2023, 09:13

First of all, very nice find! The locklight thing sounds suspiciously like with all the XT boards that handled that board-sided... (As in, whenever the key is pressed, the locklight's state changes). Same thing with the Zenith Z-150 XT, for example. Can you try it with a converter of some sorts?

Muirium
µ

14 Jul 2023, 11:44

The go to converter is, of course, Soarer’s. Used it for years on my IBM XT.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2510

Nice piece of kit, envy those juicy browns!

hipower8-32

14 Jul 2023, 15:43

I unfortunately don't have an XT converter yet despite owning several XT-class boards. I will try to get my hands on one and will let you know what happens once I manage to procure one. Thanks for the help!

guidemetothelight

19 Jul 2023, 10:28

What a beautiful find ! Epson boards are pretty cool. This is is by far the coolest, though they have some other nice contenders.
I want to get one with Topre or SKCL Alps someday, but finding info is pretty hard. Wiki only has 4 boards listed, while there are many more "unidentified" boards out there.
12.png
12.png (1.94 MiB) Viewed 2226 times
Anyone has information on those two ? I think they are the same board, just slightly different case.
I hoped they maybe are from the same line as wiki/Epson_Business_Full_Keyboard or the wiki/Epson_Q103A .
Is it possible to tell from the lock lights which switches are used ? location doesnt match alps switches as far as I know

hipower8-32

19 Jul 2023, 21:52

Ok, some updates:

I found the Epson board in a warehouse, but I would prefer not to disclose the name or location of it. They had ton of Epson boards there, maybe 9 or 10 in total... I think this is the only alps keyboard out of all of them. I think they even had one of those Epson FLS gen 2 boards which was pretty cool, but I was only able to get my hands on this one.

The board was absolutely filthy when I got it.

Funnily enough, however, the mounting plate was completely clean and most of the switches are pretty smooth. After dusting off and cleaning the mounting plate, the plate looks awesome. Also found one switch - I think it's the E key - which has some pink marker on it. I'm pretty sure this is was DT wiki refers to as lipstick switch but I have no idea what purpose it serves or why it is there. You can see it in the picture. I have not taken the spacebar off to check out the spacebar, but I'm pretty sure its amber alps according to other reports.

I'm glad to report that with a Soarer's converter, all of the switches work properly! Weird that it has an AT layout but XT protocol.

From the same place, I got a few other boards, including a Omnikey 101, a Laser 2269 keyboard without the laser branding with SMK clicky MX mount, and a vintage SKCL green Texas Instruments keyboard. I think out of all the boards I got from that place, the Epson is the cleanest, though. Does anyone know if this board was built by Alps Electric? It looks nearly identical to the Packard Bell keyboard with SKCL Brown switches, along with some other alps-built keyboards like the OEMMAX MCK-860. The plastic clips on the back remind me of those used on Dell boards, but maybe it's a stretch. idk.

hipower8-32

19 Jul 2023, 22:10

guidemetothelight wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 10:28
Is it possible to tell from the lock lights which switches are used ? location doesnt match alps switches as far as I know
Both boards look like they have the same style lock lights as that of Fujitsu Peerless keyboards, but I can't be for sure. While I was at the location where I got this board I found another Epson board which felt like it could have had Peerless switches, so it might be possible. From what I have heard, Epson keyboards are pretty rare.

AndyJ

20 Jul 2023, 00:21

hipower8-32 wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 21:52
Weird that it has an AT layout but XT protocol.
That was quite common. Companies were still making XT-class machines for several years after the AT came out, but almost everyone used the more modern, zippier AT key layout.

OEMs like Epson could make XT-only keyboards, but the aftermarket and some smaller companies usually provided a slide switch to change between protocols. It was cheaper just to stock just one keyboard for all machines even if it did cost a few cents more.

Muirium
µ

20 Jul 2023, 11:18

AndyJ wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 00:21
…but almost everyone used the immediately recognisably superior in every way AT key layout; so much so you had to wonder what IBM's designers were taking when they smushed XT together or subsequently chose to inflict it on the PC; good thing they soon fixed their error, albeit too late not to confuse the industry…
Fixed that for you. ;)

TNT

20 Jul 2023, 11:18

Heyy, that's not what he said?!

Muirium
µ

20 Jul 2023, 11:22

That's what FTFY means. :D

XT is just horrible. AT is what they should have started with, and the Model M layout was the ultimate goal; achieved in just a few years, in all. A bit more prototyping inside IBM could and should have launched the PC with AT layout on day one.

Anyway, I really do dig this Epson AT's aesthetic. It's a rare board with that layout which looks nicer than the IBM. 8-)

guidemetothelight

20 Jul 2023, 11:38

hipower8-32 wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 22:10
Both boards look like they have the same style lock lights as that of Fujitsu Peerless keyboards...
agree, probably they are, or I would have probably found a post from a lunatic like us describing how they can come with browns :D
Muirium wrote:
Anyway, I really do dig this Epson AT's aesthetic.
Agreed ! An absolute banger of a board, I´am salivating...

TNT

20 Jul 2023, 13:24

Muirium wrote:
That's what FTFY means. :D
I know, I was trying to make a joke. Seems like next time I should try to hire someone more experienced to do that for me :lol:
Muirium wrote:
XT is just horrible. AT is what they should have started with, and the Model M layout was the ultimate goal; achieved in just a few years, in all. A bit more prototyping inside IBM could and should have launched the PC with AT layout on day one.

Anyway, I really do dig this Epson AT's aesthetic. It's a rare board with that layout which looks nicer than the IBM. 8-)
While I don't think that AT and XT are too far off from each other to not call either both horrible or acceptable, I agree with what you're saying. Except for the unnecessary capslock key where ctrl should obviously be it's quite alright where we ended up with the M's layout.

Muirium
µ

20 Jul 2023, 13:40

Good point about Model M layout (if not the inferior membrane) and its back-step with Caps Lock. You made me check the Wiki where I hoped to find an illustrated history of Caps Lock placements. Ah well. I too insist on Control left of A on all my keyboards. It's a strange realisation that IBM messed that up at the exact time they fixed everything else!

Return to “Keyboards”