m3501 locking switch question

matt-taco

10 Aug 2023, 22:53

Does anyone know if swapping the locking switch on the capslock switch for a non-locking switch, would let that key behave like a normal key?

Reason being, I really like to map capslock to control.

podgen

10 Aug 2023, 23:24

matt-taco wrote:
10 Aug 2023, 22:53
Does anyone know if swapping the locking switch on the capslock switch for a non-locking switch, would let that key behave like a normal key?

Reason being, I really like to map capslock to control.
I'm just speculating, but i don't think so.
Reason being, when programming a converter you have to bind a locking switch to a specific key-code with a name along the lines of "locking caps" instead of "caps lock" , meaning they're treated differently to regular caps-lock. There's a chance you could swap the keys if you swapped their keycodes in your converter keymap, but i'm not sure enough to suggest you do it
. Please read Muir's below
Last edited by podgen on 11 Aug 2023, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

10 Aug 2023, 23:42

I shall speculate otherwise.

“Locking caps lock” is a feature in QMK etc. as a (hacky) way to support mapping other (better) mods to an unmodified latching Caps Lock. There is no inherent magic to latching switches: they’re switches, which latch. Interpreting them, controller side, is where the optional woo-woo begins.

Beware that some latching switches aren’t the same dimensions as their latch-less brothers. I believe the Apple M0110 is one such example. With those you’re better to mod the switch than replace it, else its cap won’t work. There may be other examples.

podgen

11 Aug 2023, 02:03

Muirium wrote:

“Locking caps lock” is a feature in QMK etc. as a (hacky) way to support mapping other (better) mods to an unmodified latching Caps Lock. There is no inherent magic to latching switches: they’re switches, which latch. Interpreting them, controller side, is where the optional woo-woo begins.

Beware that some latching switches aren’t the same dimensions as their latch-less brothers. I believe the Apple M0110 is one such example. With those you’re better to mod the switch than replace it, else its cap won’t work. There may be other examples.
Ohh ok, please ignore me!

matt-taco

11 Aug 2023, 04:22

Muirium wrote:

Return to “Keyboards”