Topre 3rd Party Domes

hellothere

17 Aug 2023, 01:34

What I have: Topre Realforce R2 PFU Edition 45g TKL.

I had been playing with my Steel Series Hall-effect 35g keyboard for the last couple weeks and the smoothness eventually got to me. As my Topre and my nopre are my two favorite keyboards, I was wondering if less heavy domes would make a difference. I Googled and I see that there's a really old thread on swapping domes. Anything new over the past 6 years? Recommendations?

Touch_It

17 Aug 2023, 15:27

I don't have experience, but sounds like you want to be looking at BKE replacement domes. I know they have a V1 and a V2.

You can buy sample packs, so that might be a cheap way for you to experimenting before committing.

Edit: forgot the link.

https://www.keyclack.com/products/bke-t ... 4845491277

engr

17 Aug 2023, 15:42

Touch_It wrote:
I recommend staying away from Keyclack. I ordered a pack of domes from them last November. The order's status on the web site is still listed as "Your order is confirmed. You’ll receive an email when your order is ready." Looking at r/mk, I am not the only one having that issue.

Touch_It

17 Aug 2023, 16:01

engr wrote:
Touch_It wrote:
I recommend staying away from Keyclack. I ordered a pack of domes from them last November. The order's status on the web site is still listed as "Your order is confirmed. You’ll receive an email when your order is ready." Looking at r/mk, I am not the only one having that issue.
Thanks for pointing that out. I was unaware.

wobbled

17 Aug 2023, 19:01

HC514

17 Aug 2023, 19:13

Don't forget Deskeys domes. They've been around for a while.

I don't think I have seen anything about the V2 or V3 domes, but the V1s definitely have been discussed occasionally. I have some V1 purple ones myself.

Muirium
µ

17 Aug 2023, 19:16

@Wobbly
---> PCB for TKL, Plate for Theca
What’s all that about?

hellothere

18 Aug 2023, 00:58

Touch_It wrote:
engr wrote:
Touch_It wrote:
I initially looked at these. I shall stay away.

No offense to wobbled -- but thanks for posting! -- I really don't like to pre-order stuff. I just see too many problems with that.

Regarding the Deskeys, the Des-Domes Carrot, Des-Domes V2, and Des-Domes V2 rounder-bke style all have a closed top with what looks like an inverse cross mount on them. The Des-Domes BKE tactile (Ok. It's getting annoying. DD=Des-Domes.) look like they have an open top. Which ones would work with the Realforce?

HC514

18 Aug 2023, 01:57

They should all be compatible. The "cross mount" appears to just be a logo of sorts. The bigger question is how the different ones feel, and relate to each other. That doesn't seem to be well-documented.

The open top purple ones have a fairly instant snap right at the top. Quite different from the gradual feel of stock Topre. They're rated at 49g, but are perceptually lighter than stock 45g. I don't know if I would say I prefer one over the other, it's kind of apples and oranges, but it was very nice to have an available option to rescue an FC660C whose stock domes were weirdly lacking (not like stock 45g usually is). If you want a sharper, more "tactile" event, they're worth a shot.

JCMax

18 Aug 2023, 03:32

Touch_It wrote:
engr wrote:
Touch_It wrote:
I ordered from them earlier around February or so. I am still waiting... :? :cry:

I didn't know about DesKey Domes. I'll have to check them out myself!

wobbled

18 Aug 2023, 12:50

Muirium wrote:
17 Aug 2023, 19:16
@Wobbly
---> PCB for TKL, Plate for Theca
What’s all that about?
They had a group buy for a keyboard called Theca, those pcbs and plates will be to turn it into an EC board

Return to “Keyboards”