Bottoming out sound ABS vs PBT

Inxie

09 Sep 2023, 00:33

So as many have pointed out, WASD keyboard's ABS keycaps just suck. The keyboard firmware even sucks if you have the function key enabled (disabling it actually fixes any and all issues, go figure). Well, other than that the keyboard has been fine, but the keycaps had to go, and since my mouse usually does my multimedia functions anyway, I didn't mind my 10-keyless keyboard being a standard ANSI board with no bells or whistles enabled. At least the RGB on the key locks still work.

Anyways, the ABS keycaps not only have worn the legends, it's already within half the year of owning it, become super glossy. Their "coating" they tout was no match against my finger oils apparently. Rather than deal with their support "yet again" since the keyboard itself is actually working, and I still like my Zealios 67g tactile keyswitches, I just *hate* how cheap the bottoming out sound is, considering the keyboard does have a solid steel frame holding itself together. I'm desperately hoping it's just the ABS keycaps that sound so hallow and cheap, and the PBT double-shots that are coming will sound far superior.

Another thing too is, I do have o-rings, but I just couldn't get used to using them. It felt like turning the keyboard into a cheap rubber dome, and at that point, it didn't feel "right" anymore. So I'm ok with some bottoming out sound, but I would like it to be quieter, but still feel the bottoming out, not squishy.

Muirium
µ

09 Sep 2023, 11:40

Thick ABS caps have the edge in sound, for me, being extra bassy and classy. Just a pity they're ABS so inherently susceptible to shine and yellowing. Thick PBT sounds a good bit higher pitched, but still quite nice, while sparing all the ABS flaws: including doubleshot. ;)

Inxie

09 Sep 2023, 15:20

The WASD ABS caps are rather thin, the PBT's arriving are thick, so it might be interesting to see.

I probably should try the o-rings a second time around, with the PBT's and see if perhaps it feels better. I'll do some keys with and without first and see which feels and sounds better by trying them.

Inxie

09 Sep 2023, 22:35

*Sigh* I'm so over this. Got the keys, they sound good, but some keys just won't stay on the stems of the keyswitches. At least this is easier to fix than keys that are rubbing apart, but I'm so over needing to fix "new" things from China.

Inxie

10 Sep 2023, 06:29

Well, a good fix for new PBT keycaps that don't stay on the switches, kapton tape to add stiffness. Just a little bit went a long way, now this actually is decent sounding in my opinion. What's weird is to the microphone it sounds sharper than it sounds from where I sit (a bit softer).

https://streamable.com/2mv8m9
keyboard.jpg
keyboard.jpg (564.59 KiB) Viewed 8126 times
Not gonna like, I love how these caps look, now just to get used to the CSA profile.

Muirium
µ

10 Sep 2023, 09:43

Inxie wrote:
What's weird is to the microphone it sounds…
Unintuitive but not unexpected. Microphone technique is hard.

Inxie

10 Sep 2023, 22:00

Muirium wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 09:43
Inxie wrote:
What's weird is to the microphone it sounds…
Unintuitive but not unexpected. Microphone technique is hard.
Fixed. ;)
PXL_20230910_154057867-01.jpeg
PXL_20230910_154057867-01.jpeg (4.2 MiB) Viewed 8047 times
https://streamable.com/hxlnuh

The tone now sounds correct from my vantage point in the video.

Muirium
µ

10 Sep 2023, 22:09

That's better. Still could use some deep ABS caps to really make it sing. Their thicc sound is their one and only advantage over my beloved PBT. ;)

Inxie

10 Sep 2023, 22:52

Muirium wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 22:09
That's better. Still could use some deep ABS caps to really make it sing. Their thicc sound is their one and only advantage over my beloved PBT. ;)
My finger oils just eat ABS plastic keycaps and end up turning them into glossy keycaps within a month. I couldn't go back to that unfortunately. Though, I think I actually prefer this sound. At least compared to the WASD "thin" ABS.

I'll consider thick ABS in the future but it would have to be laser etched or double-shot if it's going to survive my hands. And still, might as well be glossy caps from the start so I don't feel disappointed when they gloss over. :lol:

Muirium
µ

10 Sep 2023, 22:57

High gloss blanks in SA or something just as chunky. I don't rock them often, either, but sometimes that bass…

Return to “Keyboards”