USB Switch Box

apastuszak

17 Sep 2023, 04:42

I own 2 different USB Switch Boxes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TS5JNT3

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6GD9JO

I use these to switch between my personal Mac and work IBM ThinkPad.

I am trying to use these with a Unicomp Mini-M and a Keebmonkey Megolodon Macropad https://www.amazon.com/KEEBMONKEY-Megal ... B0C1STYFFS.

On the Mac, both the Mini-M and the macropad work.

On Windows it's another matter.

The first USB switch box works fine with the macropad. It does not work at all with the Mini-M. The mini-m just doesn't work.

The second USB switchbox works fine with the Mini-M. It does not work with the macropad. The macropad does not work.

So, I'm looking for another USB Switch Box option that might work with both of these.

I connected both switch boxes to power. And the Mini-M I tried with the original controller and the new RPI2040 controller with QMK/VIAL on it.

Muirium
µ

17 Sep 2023, 10:40

Sanity check: try a USB 2 switch. I've found strange things happen with USB 3, as well, presumably due to flaky support in the devices themselves.

I'd begin a rant about how badly USB has been governed over the years, even the much needed move to a better connector, but suffice to say that angry essay isn't needed here. :evilgeek:

TL;DW the upgrade from USB 1 to 2 was done much better than the later one from 2 to 3. USB 3.x is fundamentally a different beast, disguised in traditional USB's clothing.

apastuszak

17 Sep 2023, 16:20

That's a good idea. I really don't need USB3. Most keyboards with USB ports built into them are USB 2.0 ports anyway.

I wish more keyboard makers would include a USB hub in their keyboards.

But is is kind of strange that this problem only happens on Windows. The Mac, and the Linux laptop worked fine.

Makes me think it has something to do with the built in USB 3 driver on Windows.

apastuszak

17 Sep 2023, 19:17

In a fit of impatience, I ordered this switchbox last night:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082K87B87

It's working just fine with the keyboard and macropad. It's USB 3.0. Not sure what's different about this one versus the other two. But it's working.

Muirium
µ

17 Sep 2023, 21:31

Sounds like you’re right about that dodgy driver.

Congratulations on testing the old adage once again: the definition of insanity is trying the same thing multiple times while expecting different results… except for computers, then it’s entirely logical debugging. :P

apastuszak

17 Sep 2023, 22:15

Muirium wrote:
Sounds like you’re right about that dodgy driver.

Congratulations on testing the old adage once again: the definition of insanity is trying the same thing multiple times while expecting different results… except for computers, then it’s entirely logical debugging. :P
I just hope my stupidity has helped someone else avoid a bad purchasing decision.

As much as I prefer my keyboard be programmable, that's not always possible. So, it's nice to have a macropad I can use with it.

AndyJ

18 Sep 2023, 00:40

apastuszak wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:20
That's a good idea. I really don't need USB3. Most keyboards with USB ports built into them are USB 2.0 ports anyway.
It's only reasonable; most motherboards still have dedicated keyboard/mouse USB ports where the PS/2 ports used to be, and those ports were all USB 1.1 until they switched to 2.0 in recent years. I guess the chipsets they were using moved to 2.0.

Remember, USB3 was initially subject to a licensing fee, which is why most motherboards came with a mix of 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 USB ports instead of all USB3, which is what you'd reasonably expect.

And now we're up to USB-C, and there are multiple types of that, and it's still a hassle to get the stupid connector inserted right-way-up when the port is behind the computer or otherwise not visible.

apastuszak

18 Sep 2023, 02:41

I like the USB – C connector. But I don’t like how everything under the sun uses it. Now you have USB 2 devices using USB-C. Thunderbolt uses the USB-C connector. Even display port uses it on some monitors.

The least they could’ve done is colorcode them. But they didn’t even do that. I’ve actually bought USB – C cables that are USB 2.0 cables.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

18 Sep 2023, 06:40

Off-tpic, but hey, this is DT after all…
Muirium wrote:
[…] Congratulations on testing the old adage once again: the definition of insanity is trying the same thing multiple times while expecting different results… except for computers […]
No insanity here.
It was not "the same thing" - each successive try included changing one factor and then checking the effect of the change and drawing conclusions. which is the definition of a scientific experiment.

Muirium
µ

18 Sep 2023, 09:55

Hey Siri, switch on all the lights.

I can't help you with that.

You don't appear to have any scenes setup in the Home app.

Here's what I found… (Useless Google search.)

Okay.

Most days she'll do it right first time. But those other days, it's all this, every time.

apastuszak

18 Sep 2023, 14:26

As a lifelong Apple user (well since, 1986), I have to say that Siri is an idiot. It amazes me that Apple took the lead in the voice assistant category when they added Siri, and every assistant that came after Siri just leapfrogged over it. Apple really need to put some time and effort into making Siri better.

It would also be nice if they could get a mechanical keyboard with a ToucID sensor, or make a standalone TouchID sensor.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

18 Sep 2023, 19:10

Muirium wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 09:55
Hey Siri, switch on all the lights. […]
Are you sure your input is exactly the same every time? Siri may perceive tiny differences in tone, modulation, accentuation, speed and so on, which you are not aware of and which may affect Siri's reaction.

And anyway, Siri is not a computer, it's simply a "black box" where inputs are processed according to unknown (and perhaps deliberately changing or contradictory) rules. Perhaps it wants to drive you mad, perhaps it is just analysing your input to find anything wrong with it so as to give you a nonsensical answer, perhaps it just hates you at times, who knows?

It is simply disgustingly human - I would never allow anyone like that to enter my home :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

19 Sep 2023, 09:48

While I’m certainly not beyond arguing with Siri out loud as if she's a tyrannical poltergeist who happens to live in my phone, I’m quite aware of our human need to personify pets and bots and just whatever lesser thing Siri is. We'll plead with all of them, while they cock their head at us and pee on the carpet in any case. :lol:

I do, of course, have Always Show Siri Captions turned on, so I see a live transcription of everything she thinks I’m saying to her. Those responses earlier really are to the exact same input, said over and over within just a few seconds. Siri's not nearly diabolical or advanced enough to read intonation, or to sense I’m being playful. Though sometimes she can make me laugh by saying something as absurd as "You're welcome, it's nice to be appreciated" after I've just unloaded a bellyful of impotent rage at her and her developers. :P

Siri is modern Apple's equivalent to MacOS 9: a sorry mountain of technical debt and historical corner painting which hangs heavy around their neck and actively frustrates their users. It needs torn out and replaced outright. Supposedly, they know this and have been trying for a while now. A worryingly familiar story!

fohat
Elder Messenger

19 Sep 2023, 14:57

Muirium wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 09:48

"it's nice to be appreciated" after I've just unloaded a bellyful of impotent rage at her
When I was setting up my Android phone, and after an hour of deep frustration, the Android robot woman said "What can I do to help?" and I replied "SHUT THE F_CK UP!" in a loud angry voice.

Her cheerful, perky reply was "I can do that." That really did give me a chuckle and helped me feel better.

Return to “Keyboards”