NEC Multispeed Alps Keyboard Conversion to USB

tastybeverage

05 Oct 2023, 22:59

Total keyboard newb here who has searched the forums up and down. I scored an old NEC Multispeed Laptop with this Alps keyboard. It has a five pin connector that I'd suspect *may* work with a PS2 to USB adapter, but I have no idea how to proceed. Does anyone know how I can ultimately make this a modern usb connection for use with raspberry pi or other computers?

zrrion

05 Oct 2023, 23:02

From my understanding it is an XT keyboard but I don't know which pins do what

TNT

06 Oct 2023, 00:00

Yes, I can confirm it is XT. Here's a picture of the pinout:
Clipboard01_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
Clipboard01_Easy-Resize.com.jpg (243.25 KiB) Viewed 13251 times
Last edited by TNT on 06 Oct 2023, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.

TNT

06 Oct 2023, 00:21

I just realized the way I positioned the three could lead to misunderstandings. The leftmost pin is unused

tastybeverage

06 Oct 2023, 00:23

Dude, @TNT! You just saved me a lot of time and tinkering! Thank you! Do you have an XT to USB converter you'd recommend? Something like this maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/XTPTFABS-Soarers ... B0C3LZX3PF

Thanks again!

TNT

06 Oct 2023, 00:40

Glad I could help!

For converters, I always recommend Hasu's, cause the customizability and compatibility is better. If you go for a Soarer's, I suggest you buy from Orihalcon.You should be able to find his listing on eBay.

tastybeverage

06 Oct 2023, 00:44

Hasu's look cool. Wonder if he could even put the horizontal style connector on it so I don't have to exercise my garbage soldering skills.

TNT

06 Oct 2023, 07:49

Anyways, what are your plans for a case for this thing? Mine is also still only a loose unity which is a shame because those switches are really great.

tastybeverage

12 Nov 2023, 00:24

TNT wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 07:49
Anyways, what are your plans for a case for this thing? Mine is also still only a loose unity which is a shame because those switches are really great.
Finally got around to working on this. I have the original laptop case to I'm going to stick it in there. Do you happen to have the hasu firmware for this? I got the adapter and wired up an xt connection, but I can't get the keyboard working. LEDs light up, but no output. Thanks!

TNT

12 Nov 2023, 00:34

Glad to hear you still have the case! Are you just taking it as is or are you changing anything?

I'm not sure what the problem is, the firmware should be this one.

If you are sure that your setup is correct and not to blame then it might be worth to contact Hasu about this. Tho everything works fine with my board 🤔

Return to “Keyboards”