"I found some other keyboard" said the seller, before making my day

textadventurer

06 Nov 2023, 13:55

Through a local marketplace I bought a beat-up Apple Extended Keyboard II. It was cheap, seller was nice, and one day I'd clean it and fix it up.

After receiving the keyboard I sent a quick thank-you message, to which the seller replied "I found some more keyboard from the stone-age. Want them?" and attached a picture.

I couldn't believe my luck: this guy had THREE boxed new old stock IBM Model M SSK keyboard! Of course I bought them, and they've just arrived. The boxes are a bit worn, but the keyboards inside are absolutely mint! I have one in use for a couple of days. The keys feel much newer and "stiffer" than my regular Modem M, which was in used condition and has been in use by myself for years. The SSK absolutely looks, feels and functions as new, and I'm just so happy :-)

The only downside is that they don't come with cables, but I'm using the one from my regular Model M right now.

Anyway, I wanted to share this, hopefully it makes your day a little brighter as it certainly did mine!!

Picture of the SSK I picked:
IMG_8843.JPG
IMG_8843.JPG (3.96 MiB) Viewed 12413 times

John Doe

06 Nov 2023, 14:16

I think you could imagine how jealous I am sir.

Muirium
µ

06 Nov 2023, 14:37

Welcome to the club. :D

depletedvespene

06 Nov 2023, 15:22

textadventurer wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 13:55

I couldn't believe my luck: this guy had THREE boxed new old stock IBM Model M SSK keyboard! Of course I bought them, and they've just arrived. The boxes are a bit worn, but the keyboards inside are absolutely mint! I have one in use for a couple of days. The keys feel much newer and "stiffer" than my regular Modem M, which was in used condition and has been in use by myself for years. The SSK absolutely looks, feels and functions as new, and I'm just so happy :-)
ENVY, ENVY, ENVY.

Congratulations!

depletedvespene

06 Nov 2023, 15:24

Also: Unicomp sells replacement cables, if that's what you choose to go on with.

thefarside

06 Nov 2023, 19:38

That’s awesome, congratulations!

textadventurer

06 Nov 2023, 20:20

Thanks everyone! Glad to join the club.

I've been collecting computers for ages, and keyboards since a year or so, so I know these kind of things don't happen too often. Downside: finding my holy grail so soon into the hobby makes me wonder... what next?

engr

06 Nov 2023, 20:46

textadventurer wrote:
Downside: finding my holy grail so soon into the hobby makes me wonder... what next?
An industrial SSK, obviously!

fohat
Elder Messenger

06 Nov 2023, 20:52

depletedvespene wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 15:24

Unicomp sells replacement cables
Orihalcon's cables are pricey, but there is a lot to be said for a straight SDL-to-USB cable with no additional drama.

thefarside

06 Nov 2023, 23:49

textadventurer wrote:
Downside: finding my holy grail so soon into the hobby makes me wonder... what next?
There’s can always be a “what’s next” keyboard depending on how far down the rabbit hole you go. My recommendation is to enjoy what you have and keep treasure hunting :cool:

Muirium
µ

07 Nov 2023, 11:34

^ There is no such thing as an endgame keyboard. The further you seek the more you shall find.
fohat wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 20:52
Orihalcon's cables are pricey, but there is a lot to be said for a straight SDL-to-USB cable with no additional drama.
Is he still making them? I don’t see any of his converter cables on his eBay store. Maybe I’m just looking in the wrong place.

thefarside

07 Nov 2023, 11:42

I didn’t find anything either.

apastuszak

07 Nov 2023, 14:17

He hasn't responded to any messages I sent him. I hope he isn't going to disappear like Soarer did.

I really wish Unicomp made a beige Mini-M.

kshopper2084

07 Nov 2023, 17:06

The lack of cables is probably why those are still NOS. :)

textadventurer

08 Nov 2023, 10:12

thefarside wrote:
06 Nov 2023, 23:49
textadventurer wrote:
There’s can always be a “what’s next” keyboard depending on how far down the rabbit hole you go. My recommendation is to enjoy what you have and keep treasure hunting :cool:
Absolutely enjoying the keyboard. Happy as a clam!

Chyros

09 Nov 2023, 11:55

Very nice find! :D Always love it when stuff like this emerges ^^ .

Return to “Keyboards”