Modern switch closest to the Alps Salmon or Oranges switches in the AEK

fohat
Elder Messenger

16 Nov 2023, 21:23

Yes, there are differences. I think the earliest ones have salmon ALPS and also PBT key caps - these are highly desirable. I think that the PBT caps outlasted the salmon switches by some time, but my memory may be weak on all this.

The rubber dome variant has an "R" in the model number. I had one once but can't remember whether the key caps are ALPS-compatible.

engr

16 Nov 2023, 22:35

fohat wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 21:23
Yes, there are differences. I think the earliest ones have salmon ALPS and also PBT key caps - these are highly desirable. I think that the PBT caps outlasted the salmon switches by some time, but my memory may be weak on all this.
But these were AT101, not AT101W. I'm pretty sure all the variants with Windows keys had black Alps.

engr

16 Nov 2023, 22:39

sliceoflemon wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 10:58
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the difference between the black and orange alps mostly comes down to the slider, click leaf and possibly the spring isn't it? Wouldn't it then be simpler to switch (no pun intended) those between the Dell AT101W switches and the ones in the AEK and achieve the same thing?
I've done it before (on an AT101W, as it happens) and I would probably not do it again. I find it less tedious to swap entire switches (if you are comfortable with soldering/desoldering and have a good desoldering gun).

sliceoflemon

17 Nov 2023, 12:40

engr wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 22:39
sliceoflemon wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 10:58
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the difference between the black and orange alps mostly comes down to the slider, click leaf and possibly the spring isn't it? Wouldn't it then be simpler to switch (no pun intended) those between the Dell AT101W switches and the ones in the AEK and achieve the same thing?
I've done it before (on an AT101W, as it happens) and I would probably not do it again. I find it less tedious to swap entire switches (if you are comfortable with soldering/desoldering and have a good desoldering gun).
I guess I'm the other way around. I can solder but don't have a desoldering gun, so it takes a lot longer for me to swap switches. I don't mind opening up alps style switches so I tend to go that way by default.

I just suggested it in case OP is more comfortable that way.

apastuszak

17 Nov 2023, 17:21

I just bought a Dell AT-101W off eBay. It will be here on Monday.

Muirium
µ

17 Nov 2023, 21:11

If it’s rubberdome: bounce it back!

If not, congratulations, and good luck with the desoldering. Obviously give the board a little time, stock, first. You want to learn its foibles, and to give its native switches enough time to charm you.

apastuszak

17 Nov 2023, 21:24

I'm in no mood to take on a soldering and desolder project now. I'll use it stock with a Soarer's Converter.

engr

18 Nov 2023, 04:58

Muirium wrote:
Did AT101W ever come with rubber domes? I've never seen one like this, and the wiki doesn't mention them either.

Muirium
µ

18 Nov 2023, 11:21

When buying from strangers online, expect the unexpected.

funkmon

18 Nov 2023, 11:49

engr wrote:
Muirium wrote:
Did AT101W ever come with rubber domes? I've never seen one like this, and the wiki doesn't mention them either.
I don't think so. I think the rubber domes were introduced with the Quietkey branding, but we've all been wrong before.

fohat
Elder Messenger

18 Nov 2023, 14:49

funkmon wrote:
18 Nov 2023, 11:49
engr wrote:

Did AT101W ever come with rubber domes?
rubber domes were introduced with the Quietkey
I have owned these keyboards although it was some years ago. My experience is that the Dell AT101R (and presumably the ISO variant AT102R) is the rubber dome version.

I have had several Dell Quietkey keyboards and the earlier ones from Malaysia (or was it Indonesia?) were excellent, some of the best rubber domes ever. They had colored "domes" in yellow or blue set into a transluscent sheet. To me, the later ones made in China were inferior.

apastuszak

21 Nov 2023, 03:32

The Big Foot is here.

This is a nice board. A little yellowing, but not too bad.

Took me about 20 min to find my Soarer's Converter before I could use the thing. But, so far so good. It will get a good workout as I work tomorrow.

Muirium
µ

21 Nov 2023, 08:54

Black Alps, right? As you didn't mention the switches, I anticipate a mixed review. ;)

Black Alps can actually be quite good. Love the key-feel of my NeXT, for instance, but it's a good bit older than any Windows keyed PC board (and NOS).

kshopper2084

21 Nov 2023, 15:01

Muirium wrote:
21 Nov 2023, 08:54
Black Alps, right? As you didn't mention the switches, I anticipate a mixed review. ;)

Black Alps can actually be quite good. Love the key-feel of my NeXT, for instance, but it's a good bit older than any Windows keyed PC board (and NOS).
The suspense is killing me! lol. Rubber domes I guess...

apastuszak

21 Nov 2023, 16:28

They are Black Alps. I like them. I like the Salmon Alps better. But not so much so that I would be willing to go through the effort of transplanting them between keyboards.

Muirium
µ

21 Nov 2023, 21:49

That’s the spirit! It’s a pretty good board as it comes. How’s the rollover?

apastuszak

21 Nov 2023, 22:22

Rollover?

I haven't needed to experiment much with key rollover. I've just been typing away while I work and haven't had any issues.

It took me an hour to find my Soarer's Converter. I had it on my desk. It fell down and behind my computer. I'd forgotten how much I prefer the Soarer's Converter over QMK/VIAL.

kshopper2084

22 Nov 2023, 15:55

Thanks for the update! :)

I always wanted Orange ALPS but ended up with Salmons. I have gotten used to the slightly stiffer springs, but had thought of replacing the springs with aftermarket ones that are a bit weaker to match the softer feel of the Oranges. But then decided I'd probably just mess up a bunch of my switches taking them all apart like that and didn't bother.

Multi_key

19 Jan 2024, 20:50

Muirium wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 14:15
By the AEK II, they did remember ISO. But despite remembering the Alt Gr sub-legend on the right, internally the modifiers are merged…
That merger is the one thing that annoys me about the AEKII. My ISO AEKII isn't even labeled with Alt Gr. :x
Muirium wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 14:15
That's not the only goof about the AEKs. See those Num Lock and Scroll Lock LEDs? They indicate states which don't exist on the Mac, so would never light. They seem to have been intended as PC compatible, yet the AEK is of course ADB so couldn't connect to a PC with the use for them.
Not to drag us offtopic, but there were PC compatability cards available at the time for the SE and Mac II.

apastuszak

19 Jan 2024, 20:57

I think part of the reason for those lock lights may have been because they were using a generic ALPS circuit board they used when making keyboards for a number of vendors. I know my ADB to USB converter will throw on the Caps Lock and Numlock lights when used on a PC.

Return to “Keyboards”