Does anyone know what "profile" the keycaps are on Matias keyboards?

apastuszak

05 Dec 2023, 19:48

I've been experimenting with different key cap profiles to see which ones I like the best.

The Tactile Pro/Quiet Pro profile seems to really work for me.

Is there an "Alps" profile used for keyboards that use Alps/Matias switches?

apastuszak

05 Dec 2023, 20:34

I got an answer from Matias. It's their own custom profile designed to match other Alps boards.

Whatever it is, I like it.

Findecanor

05 Dec 2023, 20:43

I looked up their Keycaps thread in their vendor forum on Geekhack, where he posted:

> Ours are similar to OEM profile but thicker, and with better spacebars.

BTW, there were lots of promises of PBT keycaps in that thread, but many delays. Last update was about a year ago.

apastuszak

05 Dec 2023, 23:35

I'm thinking Matias is a pretty small outfit. I've had some email exchanges with their "engineer" and he told me that going forward, they want to use PBT as much as possible. I bought their PBT mouse and I really like it. The PBT won't get shiny as quickly. And the mouse is pretty light weight. I own a Logitech MX Master 3S. Great mouse, but it just feels to heavy for me.

I'm hoping Matias comes out with a PBT keyboard that has a Mac/PC switch selector.

Muirium
µ

06 Dec 2023, 17:55

Findecanor wrote:
05 Dec 2023, 20:43
There were lots of promises of PBT keycaps in that thread, but many delays. Last update was about a year ago.
Pretty recent by their standards!
apastuszak wrote:
05 Dec 2023, 23:35
I'm thinking Matias is a pretty small outfit.
Yup.

You're looking for Alps-mount caps specifically, I presume?

kshopper2084

07 Dec 2023, 16:16

I intermixed Apple PBT keycaps with Matias caps on my Ergo Pro / Salmon ALPS project and while there is a slight difference in the key "slope" between them it is not noticeable when using the keyboard. Looks fine as well.

Riverman

17 Dec 2023, 04:35

I replaced most of the stock keycaps on my Matias Quiet Pro Mac version with Tai Hao doubleshot ABS Alps keycaps, and I couldn't tell the difference in profile between the Matias keycaps and Tai Hao OEM profile ones. The Mac version of the Quiet Pro looks way too busy in my opinion with all of the extra legends on the keycaps.

Return to “Keyboards”