327x plastic latch plastic type?

vyquad

16 Jan 2024, 03:53

wanting to re-powdercoat it but im unsure if the plastic latch is PBT or not and dont want to risk melting it

jak123

24 Jan 2024, 22:22

Powder coating plastics is tricky, to say the least, and even more so if the part is small. And recoat it?

Setting that aside, different question: I'm in the middle of a similar sounding refurb (87 key 3278). Curious what you're doing about the wrist-rest door. I'm looking at fab'ing a new one from sheet alumimum, so I can coat it and match colors exactly. Getting the hinge tabs to line up is proving to be a challenge, but overall I think I'll be able to get results I'm happy with.

Did you do something similar, or did you figure out a way of powder coating the plastic door without destroying it?

jsheradin

25 Jan 2024, 00:12

Here's a model I made a while back if it's any use: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5209110

You could have one printed/machined from somewhere like Protolabs out of a known high-temp plastic. They also do laser sintered metal for "cheap" but you'd probably want to modify the model to give it some flexibility.

Findecanor

25 Jan 2024, 01:05

A metal part can get powder coated. It gets hooked up to an electric charge and the powder gets attracted to the charge. Then the part gets baked to partially melt the powder so that it fuses together.

Return to “Keyboards”