Model F/AT space bar rattle/wobble

modelf

08 Feb 2024, 17:46

Greetings,

I'm trying to understand... what amount of rattle or "wobble" on a Model F/AT keyboard space bar is normal? I've acquired two of these boards; the space bar on each one moves 1-2mm, forward and back, on the left and right ends. They both have the problem, but one does it more severely than the other. (They're both factory stock with original foam, etc.)

I've noticed there's wobble on my Model M space bars (and also on a very well-used and janky F/XT at my job), but it's not this bad.

Even though they wobble, both of these space bars work; they click no matter where you press on the key. So nothing is happening to make me think there's a bent stabilizer wire or broken clips.

Thank you for your expertise!
Last edited by modelf on 08 Feb 2024, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

jak123

08 Feb 2024, 20:30

I have three F/ATs, and in my experience, that's about normal. It can be much worse if someone's tried to remove the space bar without disassembling the keyboard first.

AndyJ

11 Feb 2024, 19:03

The one I'm typing on right now has .03-.05mm lateral or vertical movement. However, if I push on a top corner, I can rock it 5 or 10 degrees forward and back.

Return to “Keyboards”