Need help with utility for New Model F

jstrange

09 Feb 2024, 18:43

Greetings! I recently purchased a New Model F F62. I'm generally happy with it. Left shift occasionally doesn't register, so I started looking for a Linux version of the pandrew utility. I located the source code and was able to build a working utility from here... http://purdea.ro/qmk_firmware/. As long as I run the utility using sudo, it seems to work ok. The keypress monitor registers multiple keys sometimes even though I've never observed any multi-key problems when using the keyboard outside the utility.

My questions:
1. Is there a recommended version of the pandrew utility for Linux - either in binary or source that I can build?
2. Is there a different utility (than pandrew) that I can/should use with my Model F?
3. Is there general guidance on how to use the Signal Level Monitor in the pandrew utility?

Thanks,
-john

Muirium
µ

09 Feb 2024, 19:13

I’ve found Pandrew’s util to be pretty easy to work with, and certainly accurate about key down / up events. This is with his firmware (built with his web app) running on Xwhatsit hardware in original IBMs.

Here’s the signal tester in action (on a beamspring):

The numbers update live, along with the helpful colours to indicate actuation and min/max values. I wish it worked on Topre too, it’s a fun view of a live capsense matrix!

And here’s the QMK web app I mentioned:

I prefer that to VIAL.

I understand Ellipse has shipped his boards with a few different firmwares over the years. Are they VIAL now by default? I honestly don’t know, or whether that would show up in Pandrew’s util in a strange way or at all. I gather vial firmwares are built on a QMK base, though, which is why I mention the possibility that is what you’re running into.

jstrange

09 Feb 2024, 22:53

My keyboard came with QMK firmware. The signal level monitor does seem to be working correctly. I was just curious if there are other (maybe better) utilities.

I've never monitored the signals for a keyboard before. My numbers looks similar to what you show, but for a number of keys the highest level is ~160 and on some key presses I'll see values of ~145-150. When is a lower signal level a concern?

Also, with the keys removed, these keys that register lower values do see a strong/high signal (~270) when the spring is manually moved. I'm assuming this implies the flipper isn't moving fully when the spring buckles. Is that correct?

thanks,
-john

Return to “Keyboards”