What are these mystery vintage keycaps?

spoon

22 Feb 2024, 19:19

Years ago, I found a handful of these absolutely glorious vintage keycaps at a second-hand craft supply store. They're almost entirely solid plastic (I'm guessing ABS from the slight yellowing on the top surface). They have a stepped profile somewhat reminiscent of those mid-80s/early-90s Apple boards and thin, dark brown/black double-shot Eurostile-esque legends. They have a vertical slot mount that I don't recognize; the closest mount I can think of is beam springs, but they're not from any IBM board I've ever seen.
20240222_124005.jpg
20240222_124005.jpg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 5555 times
clockwise from top left: keycap viewed from top, back, right, bottom

I only have six of these caps, and they're all single-unit letters and save for a right/left arrow key (or perhaps a single-unit backspace??). There also, unfortunately, doesn't appear to be any visible brand/date/etc markings anywhere on the caps.

I'd love to know what board these were harvested from. Any potential leads on the board/brand/OEM/switch/era these caps might be related to would be highly appreciated!

podgen

22 Feb 2024, 19:31

They look like typewriter caps i think - loads of typewriters used that mount. someone else might be able to tell you what typewriter they're from, though

spoon

22 Feb 2024, 19:34

This actually helps focus my research a bit. Thank you!

podgen

22 Feb 2024, 19:35

spoon wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 19:34
This actually helps focus my research a bit. Thank you!
hope you find what you're looking for!

Return to “Keyboards”